main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Kenobi by John Jackson Miller

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fett 4, Sep 5, 2017.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    With the news of an Obi-wan movie coming out (and unlike the Han/Yoda or Boba Fett movies I'm actually interested in this) I thought I'd give Kenobi a read.

I really enjoyed it, it's a fast page turner and is very much an old school style Western, with Obi wan being the mysterious Stranger ala Shane who rides into town with the Settlers and Sand People as the Cowboys and Indians. It also does the story from everyone else's point out of view rather than Obi-wans which is a nice touch, with the exception of the meditation scenes and which I thought were the books weakest bit, His reaction from Annilean being called Annie to talking with Y'Ark were great.

What I like about the book is that all the characters including the villain all have easy and understandable motivations and goals and it feels like a progression of what is happening, not simply Oh my god what have I done, now im gonna kill some kids type of thing. It develops really well.

Anyway what are other people's thoughts on the book ?

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    An excellent book, another great work from John Jackson Miller. Especially as it was one of the last few old EU books, and made excellent use of that, making references to quite a few other past and eventual future events too. Its a great western story, of Obi-wan settling in on Tatooine, getting used to it, adding explanations for why he goes by Ben Kenobi, so many wonderful things.

Its one of my favorite works, and I think it could easily fit into new canon without too many problems, at least most of the story. Not sure what nucanon has done with Obi-wan on Tatooine yet (I skip the main Star Wars comic mostly), but I think this novel would work great as a framework for the Obi-wan movie too.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm not sure what Disney knows what they want to do with Obi Wan themselves either TBH

Jedi Knight Fett and kalzeth like this.
  4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Anyone else here "Kenoooobiiiiiiii!!" In their head whenever they read the name Kenobi?

Sent from Moto X-Wing

Yunzabit likes this.
  5. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    Sorry for bringing back a thread that's over a year old, but I just finished listening to the Kenobi audiobook, and figured I chip in my two cents. I prefer to read books, but don't have much time to do so. I can listen and get other things done, so audiobooks have been my thing lately.

Anyway, Kenobi was a good story, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The only dull-ish parts were the chapters focussing exclusively on Orren Gault, but they obviously served a purpose from a story standpoint. Seeing how Obi-wan transitioned into his new life as "Ben" was interesting, as was learning more about (now non-canon) Tusken culture.

As Fett 4 mentioned, it did have that old Western feel to it, and to be honest, Lucasfilm could just adapt this story to film and make that the Obi-wan movie we're never going to get. Sure, something new would be good, but this was a solid story and seeing it on the big screen would be fun.

6. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    It had one of my favorite villains of the franchise. One the one hand, Orrin Gault is scarily relatable. In this day and age, who can't identify with the notion of falling into debt and being terrified of what'll happen if you can't pay it back? But on the other hand, you just keep seeing him make the wrong choice one decision after another and becoming more and more loathsome in doing so. It's not often that I find a bad guy that I deeply empathize with and am deeply disgusted by at the same time.

As for his overall plot, I really liked the way it echoed the Clone Wars. A scumbag stages a fake war to drive ordinary people into his arms and then tries to make a Jedi a scapegoat for the whole thing. That has to be intentional, and it's a good if bleak way to show that the demons Obi-Wan faced as a Jedi will never go away, and they'll always need someone like him to fight them. It doesn't take a Sith Lord or galaxy-conquering stakes to make that sort of thing happen. A small-time citizen trying to stay solvent and "earn" the respect of his small community will do just as well.

7. Etav Byx

Etav Byx Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jul 28, 1998
    Well stated, 'Sticks. I've said for years(!) that that's a big reason why Orson Krennic is such a great villain too -- frighteningly real (ambitious, disrespected, lower middle manager).

You're right about the CW connection, too. While listening, I often thought about the timing of the story, and just how raw a lot of Obi-wan's wounds still were -- the losses of Anakin, the Jedi, Padme, Yoda, etc. and going from being a Jedi general at the heights of galactic influence, to being nobody on a nothing world surrounded by more conflict.

8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Does anyone think Orrin Gault is an Atlas Shrugged reference? There's two characters in the book named John Galt and Orren Boyle.

Senpezeco and DarthJaceus like this.
  9. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I find it interesting how much in debt Orrin Gault really was. How does an seemingly intelligent man get that far into hock? Especially with Jabba? Any resident of Tatooine should know better.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My memory is a little vague, but I remember thinking at the time it was probably like the farming situation in many countries today, where it's not viable in the long run. You might have all this big plans at first but after a few failed seasons you find yourself borrowing more and more. Jabba might be one of the only people who would give him a loan.

DelRiego likes this.
  11. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    If I did, I'd up my meds tbh

lordpixie likes this.
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Kenooooobiiiiiii!!!!

13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Farming is definitely a risky and uncertain business. Wasn't Orrin in even more debt with the banks? It seemed like he went to Jabba only after the banks wouldn't lend him anymore credits. I have to say, Orrin's scenes with Mosep were my favourite parts out of the whole book. It was very satisfying to see the arrogant settler finally being humbled.

bmickey likes this.
  14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I just finished reading it for the first time the other day. I enjoyed it a great deal. It's just really solid, hits all the notes I expected, and ends in exactly the right way. I like to think JJM and I have a similar conception of Star Wars. I think a lot of people think that, and that's why JJM is so beloved.

Here's a comment I posted back before Kenobi came out.

JJM hit all of it. Kenobi is lying low, does lie low, and ends the novel lying even lower, having kept his cover. The stakes are kept localized and personal, nothing with Luke really happens. Luke is kept out of it, as he should be. Kenobi does spend much of his time reflecting, and it's pretty much exactly what you would expect. He mixes in just enough interaction and excitement, but does it all with the right approach and right ending, but still develops things in a way that is engaging and worth reading. Add this to the list of novels I wish I read sooner.

Kenobi just going "nope" to all interaction probably wouldn't be worth reading. What actually happened in the novel was.

I mean, I had a nice chuckle at these famous last words during the prologue, on page nine.

lol okay. Right away I knew JJM had a sense of awareness.

Just as I appreciated Luke being kept out of the story, I appreciated that we didn't get Jabba. Nope, this story and Orrin Gault is too small time for Jabba. All we get is his underling and some low class henchmen.

On top of knowing what I want from this, JJM's knows Kenobi's voice the way Crispin knew Han's. It's not done quite as well as Crispin, but JJM knows how McGregor Kenobi speaks, he knows his mannerisms; you can really hear McGregor in the dialogue and it really helps sell all of it.

Weaving in the Cliegg/Shmi story and Anakin's reaction was very smart, and it's introduced to Kenobi in a very natural, believable manner that has relevance to the story.

I also appreciate that Qui-Gon never responds, cementing Kenobi's loneliness.

A'Yark's reveal was pretty great. I admit, it fooled me.

Some criticism? Well, JJM's prose still isn't great, it can be a mouthful. There are some clunkers and forced quotes. I do think he's gotten better, though. The prose in Kenobi was way better than Knight Errant. So he's improving.

There's a very obvious reference to Guinness looking more than 20 years older than McGregor, and the standard explanation of Kenobi aging under the suns of Tatooine brought into canon, but it was a bit too obvious, pointed out a bit too glaringly.

We get the "crazy old wizard" references, too. I don't know if this needs to be said. It might have been better if no one actually said it. If Kenobi just did some crazy ****, the settlers are left dumbfounded by it, the story ends, and you can put it together yourself.

That's really all I can think of, and it's not much.

Yeah, I think he said he had a few failed harvests. Maxed out what the banks would give him. Didn't exactly go to Jabba, but went to someone working for Jabba and didn't ask any questions.

The end was even more satisfying for me, seeing Orrin paralyzed and bandaged as a Tusken, wrapped in his version of Vader's life support armor.

Orrin Gault is one of the hate inspiring characters I've ever read in a Star Wars novel, and in a good way. Worst kind of person. For me he's up there with Fey'lya as a character I wanted to see destroyed.

Yeah, the similarities were neat, and Obi-Wan realizes most of them himself. I thought the Tusken legend of the elder sun failing to kill his younger brother and forced to run and hide was a bit forced and unnatural for the Tuskens, but still a very fun and effective connection to make.

I also have to say that JJM has the best character names. To add to his already great list, in Kenobi we have: Annileen Calwell and her kids Callie and Jabe, Orrin Gault and his kids Veeka and Mullen, Wyle Ulbreck, Leelee Pace...all great western names that also fit Star Wars. Kenobi also gives us the wonderful Star Warsy name of Bojo Boopa. I don't know how long he spent working on these names, but I appreciate them.

Annileen herself is actually a very well developed character, when she could have easily been an underdeveloped quickie romance to be cast off rather than her own person. She could have been nothing other than a temptation for Kenobi, I've seen it happen before. She's a good character.

15. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    About halfway through this.

Must say, after a VERY slow start (I struggled to care about the characters before Ben comes into the picture, and then took a little while to get my head around them) I'm really enjoying this.

16. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Annileen was a masterful naming of the character.. Obi-Wan's reaction when it's suggested he call her "Annie" is wonderful.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    I must say, I find the character of Annileen to be a tad weak. It takes her a very long time to stand up to Orrin. As a single mother, she lets her children run wild, particularly Jabe. It's just a disappointing portrayal overall. She needs Obi-Wan to save her, when she could have saved herself by cutting Orrin off, years ago. Business activities and personal relationships should not mix. Any businessperson worth their salt knows that.

18. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I did feel uncomfortable about that part of her character. She's lending Obi-Wan a speeder and suddenly a drunk driver crashes into it and almost hits her and everyone just laughs it off and she accepts it.

I really expected Obi-Wan to be more angry and stand up for her but he's so passive about it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Vialco likes this.
  19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    IIRC, after Veeka drunkenly crashes into her speeder and the Claim...they are attacked by Tusken Raiders.

20. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    That's a little bit after, there is a bit of time where everyone just laughs it off and Obi-Wan says nothing, just acts awkward.

21. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I disagree. Annileen flipped out and issued threats. Veeka and Jabe were giggling because they were drunk. Orrin takes the kids will be kids approach, calling it a rite of passage, which it may have been. Obi-Wan tried to go unnoticed because of course he would. Orrin shows up with two Devaronians, trying to make a big sale, introduces Obi-Wan as the big hero, which of course Obi-Wan doesn't want.

Annileen actually closes the bar.

The Tuskens show up immediately after that last quote, only four pages after the crash, all of which have Annileen pissed off.

Annileen is the only one really taking it seriously because she's the only one not drunk and returning from the races. Obi-Wan is quiet because he doesn't want to get involved.

There are a few more quotes of Annileen yelling at Jabe or Veeka, too, I just didn't post them.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Xander Vos and Mia Mesharad like this.
  22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    My favorite character in this book was Mosep. He and his goons are such amusing figures.

"Monkey Jabba! Monkey Jabba!"

23. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    My favorite character was that Rodian, Bohmer, who just sat silently and drank caf all day at Annileen's place.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Mine was Rooh the eopie.

25. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I feel like we aren't disagreeing..? Four pages where Annileen is the only one pissed and no one else takes her seriously is exactly what I'm saying made me feel uncomfortable.