main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016

Ageism is strong with CoolyFett.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Here's the difference between the two: young Obi-Wan Kenobi fights fast, old Ben Kenobi fights smart. The former is common and, while the choreography for such sequences can be fun and impressive, it's kind of boring from a creative standpoint and it numbs you out pretty quickly; when you start fast and intense, there's really nowhere to go but down or lateral. The latter requires patience and can actually be more suspenseful, each moment building on the last, while also allowing for (and in fact encouraging) more artistic direction.

Darth Nave and Avnar like this.
  3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, it's funny how the fight that should have been the most emotional/epic (Anakin vs Obi Wan) was completely devoid of either... That fight was stuffed to the brim with unnecessary stuff. I'd take the re-match any day of the week. (Just slightly sped up :D) That being said, the fight between Obi Wan and Darth Maul (after QGJ bites it) will probably never be topped :cool:

For me personally the fight between Aragorn and Lurtz (Uruk Hai leader) at the end of Fellowship is the benchmark! Fast, furious and brutal! I hope this film comes to fruition...and to be honest I see no reason that it won't. Good times.

Darth Nave and Dra--- like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The Hound vs. Brienne of Tarth. One of the best fights ever shown on screen.

Darth Nave, Dra--- and Avnar like this.
  5. Just adapt the story of Ferus Olin for the Obi-Wan movie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vncredleader likes this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Poor Obi Wan. Those robes would get so waterlogged.

7. A Obi-Wan series would work better than a movie I would pay to see that

GregMcP likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I don't know that you could get Ewan to commit to an ongoing TV show. Maybe if you did a mini-series in the vein of the Marvel Netflix stuff (in terms of length, not tone, to be clear). But an ongoing show, IDK.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If it was going to be A-Grade HBO level stuff. A good budget, top class writers and directors.

If it was done on the level of Breaking Bad or Fargo, then you'd get him.

That would be the dream. Something people who are not fans would watch, just because it is excellent storytelling.

10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    An Obi-Wan movie would have to be an introspective film, full of mystic visions, about Obi-Wan facing his fears and failures. Doing the training that Qui-Gon has for him. Basically, a live action rendition of the Yoda arc from TCW The Lost Missions starring Obi-Wan. You can't have him galavanting about the galaxy doing derring-do, or anything that draws attention his way. He needs to be on Tatooine guarding Luke and working out his own ish. It would be a serious challenge for a Star Wars film. Most of the action would have to be limited to mystic visions. Anything else would need to be really understated, so as not to bring Imperial entanglements.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    I recently rewatched that and I have to disagree. There was a cut almost every single strike which made the whole fight hard to follow and nauseating to watch. IMO.

12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

[​IMG]

13. sizziano

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm serious. I was looking forward to it because it had been a while but meh. Having recently rewatched all of GoT for me most of the combat is sub-par. Still some good stuff of course.

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

If you judge it by "can I tell exactly what is happening, and can I see every punch land," OK, I get it.

But if judged by its ferocity, variety, drama, acting, setting, and everything else that made it feel viscerally real, that's a different matter entirely.

Darth Nave likes this.
  15. sizziano

Nov 16, 2014
    Sure but that by itself doesn't make a good fight scene. It's the Jason Bourne effect. I like to tell what's going on. Jackie Chan knows how to frame a proper fight.

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016

Just a stylistic preference. Jackie Chan fights are a specific style that work great for a specific type of film and type of fighting. I like them a lot.

The Hound vs. Brienne scene was the perfect style for those two characters, their blunt force fighting styles, and the type of show they're in. For me, in terms of how perfectly the fight fit with his characters and setting, I think it's one of the best fight scenes. At least on TV.

17. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I just think we need to take things out of OT timeline and explore more, and I'm talking before tpm obi wan movie.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    The OT era simply looks great. For that reason alone, I'd like to explore it in all its facets.

PymParticles likes this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think it's overall more iconically and uniquely designed than the PT. There's an elegance and simplicity to the OT designs that you don't really see replicated elsewhere. The PT is more akin other sci-fi series, where the designs are all smooth curves and they're occasionally busy and overly complicated in the pursuit of looking "alien," but that ends up eschewing the functionality that makes the OT designs look and feel so real, which is ultimately a huge part of what makes that period of time more immersive for me. And I'm not really knocking the PT here; The Phantom Menace has some gorgeous design work, and although I'm not as overly fond of Church's designs for AotC and RotS, there are a few there that I like as well. It's not that the PT designs are bad, they're just different and evoke a different kind of aesthetic; form over function.

Yeah Tl;Dr the OT looks great, give me more.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    We're in the same boat here. McQuarrie, Johnston and Chiang are the greatest concept artists ever, IMO.

Though I would actually take it further and say that Church's designs aren't just different. I think they are fundamentally bad design. Cluttered and shapeless, and not in a well-thought out way. He reminds me more of a mediocre game designer than someone designing for film.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I never would have guessed you didn't like Church's designs. I don't think you've ever mentioned it before. :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The PT designs are, a mixed bag. Some of them are really good imo and some, decidedly not. And I get the idea behind them. The "cleaner/fancier" aesthetic is probably meant to symbolize that this is the Old Republic seemingly at the height of it's power, whereas the more rundown and "substance over style" OT stuff is meant to show a Galaxy that's deteriorated under the rule of The Empire. Also most of the OT, and TFA for that matter, takes place in the poorer Outer Rim regions, whereas quite of bit of the PT takes place on richer/more prosperous worlds further in.

But I'd be lying if I didn't say that I personally much prefer the OT aesthetic myself. And as for the Obi Wan movie, I want it set in-between ROTS and ANH first and foremost so that they can have Ewan play the role again.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I was actually thinking of you when mentioning that, as I know you've been wondering! :)

24. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    With the PT, I feel that too many of the environments just looked too clean. On the surface, that is fine, but what made Star Wars stood out from other Sci-Fi films of the era was the lived-in, "used future" designs of the planets. The PT stripped that away, resulting in much of the environments looking like your typical Science Fiction movie.

25. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    How about a Kenobi movie, with flashbacks as a young padawan (new young actor) with Liam Neeson reprising his role as Qui-Gon Jinn, training him, then it goes back to present. It will also have him communicating with Qui-gon as a force voice.

Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.