main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I'd be completely cool if there was a flashback to a padawan Ob-Wan and Qui-Gon in the film. Hey, it worked for Rogue One!

Rodie likes this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm all for more flashbacks in Star Wars.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    A good portion of the PT takes place in the Core. Given the end of ROTJ SE, the Core is pretty much the same during the OT as the PT. Most of the OT, however, takes place in the Outer Rim and on the fringes of society amongst upstart revolutionaries and gangsters.

Tatooine is Tatooine in every film it appears in, looking no better in TPM than ANH. Naboo and Coruscant are just wealthier planets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    For me, it wasn't cleanliness that was the problem. Bespin was clean as a whistle, and it was still convincingly Star Wars. As were all of the Imperial interiors. The issue for me was that a lot of the PT (mostly AOTC and ROTS) looked a little too digital and intangible, particularly the digital outdoor landscapes.

Coruscant, though, because it was a wholly artificial place, looked great. As did the location-shot scenes on Naboo and Tatooine.

vncredleader and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah I think that for many people, it was less about them looking "clean" and more about them looking artificial. It ruins the immersive experience somewhat when it just looks like the actors aren't really interacting with anything.

Some of the stuff, like quite a few scenes on Naboo, and most of Coruscant, looked "clean," but they still worked well because they still looked real. So it fit.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yup (though I'd add Tatooine and parts of the Kamino exteriors to that list). For me, if I feel like my hand would pass through it, or if it's like watching a video game without being able to control the characters, the experience of being immersed in a secondary world is ruined. And that's at the heart of the issue. It's about tangibility, not cleanliness.

vncredleader likes this.
  7. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    The funny thing about the above posters is that the planets you mentioned that you consider looked the best in the PT, are also the ones that are featured the MOST in the films. Naboo, Coruscant, Kamino, Tatooine, etc. I'd also add Geonosis to planets that looked very realistic.

I think people see what they want to see. When I'm watching the prequels, I don't feel like I'm watching a video game at all. But if you think that you're watching a video game, that's what you'll see.

I feel just as immersed in a secondary world no matter if I'm watching the OT or the PT.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's get back on track. The topic of this thread isn't the aesthetics of the PT vs the OT.

vncredleader and Skywalker2B like this.
  9. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    It just occured to me that if they made a pre-ANH movie starring Obi Wan I might actually prefer digital Alec Guiness to bringing back Ewan McGregor.

:)

Avnar likes this.
  10. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They *could* do both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    You don't want a digital human as a protagonist. Tarkin was great in Rogue One, but that was an appropriate small dose for a limited number of scenes in a limited setting.

12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed. Especially when you have a talented actor already ready to play Obi again. Why do CG Alec when you got Ewan?

13. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Because I don't fancy the prequels and when I think Obi-Wan I think of Alec Guiness.

Avnar likes this.
  14. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Doesn't matter what you fancy a fully digital Obi-Wan isn't happening as a protagonist. Not when you have Ewan ready and able.

15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Fine, but not liking the prequels doesn't mean Ewan isn't a great actor and couldn't pull off a great film. But more importantly, you just can't have a digital protagonist for an entire film. It would get laughed out of the cinema.

vncredleader and sizziano like this.
  16. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I recall reading something years back about Star Wars Episode VII (not The Force Awakens), and it would be the main bunch of heroes returning, but the actors would just provide their voices, and ILM would create digital versions of the characters, and it would be just one film, no trilogy. The film that determined whether they would pursue the project was a version of Frankenstein animated by ILM. If it was successful, they would go forward with this all CGI Episode VII. Does anyone else recall this report? Here's some test footage of Frankenstein:

17. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    If Tarkin and Leia in RO are any indication we could be only a few years away from creating near lifelike human CGI characters. All they would have to do is impose Alec's face over a real actor.

And yes Ewan is a fine actor and I wouldn't be upset if he were cast... but for me personally there would be more novelty in seeing Alec Guiness even if he's only 97% real. I want to be transported back to the OT.

Avnar likes this.
  18. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    But what if the film is set like three or four years after ROTS? That and it is the Dark Times era which is merging the PT and OT. Why be transported to just the OT when you can idk make both sets of fans happy?

19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Maybe they could do both...? Start with Ewan and bookend with Alec (just for a few minutes as he watches Luke over Luke from a distance)

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    It would work very well for an Obi-Wan film, considering he's alone on a desert planet with only his past memories as company.
    That would be great.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I would like to see the obi wan movie open with a flashback to the clone wars, maybe for an opening action piece that obi wan wakes up from to reveal it was a dream, which he then leaves his hut and is in a quiet desert setting.

I think that would be an interesting contrast for the character.

I dunno whether they would do it, id like to think the creative team wouldn't be bias towards prequel-esk material for the sake of art but who knows.

11-4D likes this.
  22. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't subscribe to ROTS.

11-4D likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    And that's fine, but it doesn't make the film cease to exist. And, Disney and the films many fans certainly aren't going to pretend that it doesn't. If what you want is to be "transported back to the OT" then you're in luck. That is currently the marketing strategy for most of the current crop of films, books, comics, and games.

vncredleader likes this.
  24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    If they make an obi one movie they the events of the prequels and clone wars didn't happen because it takes away layers of the character that will be expected to carry the movie.

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

I'd love this actually. De-Age Neeson for 30 seconds of film, and show a 10 year old Obi-Wan as a padawan? That would be cool. Definitely get Neeson back to do Qui-Gon's voice speaking to Obi-Wan through the Force.

The question is who else does everyone want to see cast in this movie? What nefarious Tatooine dwellers would be like in this movie? IMO the fewer they repeat from ANH the better. Though I'd be OK if Greedo showed up in a scene and if Jabba got mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.