main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The two biggest drawbacks of a pre ANH, post ROTS Kenobi movie are not leaving Tatooine and no Imperial entanglements. One man in a desert does not make for very entertaining viewing (unless you want a Spaghetti Western).

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I really like my idea of a Netflix Kenobi series done in the style of Kung Fu with David Carradine. I reckon they could lure McGregor in on that.

Have him "walk the earth" (i.e. Tatooine) on some mission to track down a macguffin, which then causes him to be in a different township each episode. Layer in an overall arc and make it a limited, 10 episode series.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I dont want an action heavy movie. Outside seeing Obi-Wan working lightsaber forms, or flashbacks and mystic visions. I want it to be a quiet, introspective thing, about Obi-Wan dealing with his regrets and fears and meditating under Qui-Gon's guidance.

Wouldnt need a huge cast or massive budget.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    And would not get a huge audience either.

Mostly Handless and Avnar like this.
  5. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Stuff that i could see happening with an Obi wan movie

• PT references and maybe cameos in some form or another
    • Some foreshadow and connection to episodes 7, 8 and 9
    I don't see it being a one off adventure that doesn't have a much bigger connection or relevance to the franchise.

6. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think we'd be surprised at the pull such a film would have. If you want it set between III and IV, you cant have it be big on Jedi action. Defeats the purpose of Obi-Wan's desert vigil.

Otherwise, it has to be set during The Clone Wars.

7. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I would be shocked if your idea of a SW movie ever got off the ground. There's no pull there at all. Remember that SW is primarily aimed at kids?

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Directed by Terrence Malick.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  9. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    The marvel comics already did their own spin on Obi Wan's time on Tatooine, #7, #15 and #20 of Star Wars. He takes on Jabba's thugs (water tax collectors), and even a bounty hunter later on. Though i realize most casual movie-goers probably aren't avid comic readers, it's still part of canon now. I think what he already did to protect Luke should be enough at this point.

I'm pretty sure he didn't went and take on the role of Tatooine's official jedi vigilante when he has something more important to worry about... In his case, one confrontation is already one too many for someone who should be trying to avoid getting attention.

Dawud786 likes this.
  10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    And that's why they cant get so much leverage out of X Saga character for very long with these anthology films. I'm even less interested in young Han Solo after seeing set photos than i was when it was announced.

An Obi-Wan film has serious constraints if you want a movie that Ewan can be the star of. It cant be particularly action packed if it's to be about that crazy old wizard on Tatooine. What i suggested could work, but you're right... it's not a kid film. Clone Wars gave us some pretty cool episodes along those lines, however. An Obi-Wan movie where the action is in visions and flashbacks could work, but everything on Tatooine would have to be meditation and visitations from Qui-Gon oriented. Having Ben in the market of Anchorhead or Mos Eisley talking to Qui-Gon could go a long way to people seeing him as a crazy old wizard though, talks to himself and what not.

11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    It really depends what the obi wan movie is about since i imagine its not just gonna be Obi Wan going about his day on Tatooine with flashbacks.

I mean whether they decide to go off planet or keep the focus all on Tatooine there are many ideas you could go with in the star wars universe.

They won't make this movie unless they know they can do something Cool and appealing with it.

I still wonder whether the movie will have some relevance to the sequel trilogy.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favorite films of all time, so I'm down with films about a dude in a desert.

That said, your drawbacks don't even have to exist if Obi-Wan simply...leaves Tatooine for a short while, and is possibly entangled with the Empire while remaining incognito. Problem solved.

However, I think they should go the bold route and make it a smaller story, with a lone Obi-Wan scratching an existence on Tatooine, getting into a few scraps, and generally sacrificing his life, for the new hope of the galaxy. With a good director, that could be a classic. A similar film in the comic book genre, Logan, did it right. And I don't see why it can't be done right in the GFFA.

13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think they need to go a little be Jesus in the desert with it, frankly. The most interesting thing Obi-Wan is set up for on Tatooine between ROTS and ANH is his mystical Force training with Qui-Gon.

We've seen Yoda's version of that journey, and it definitely entailed some pretty exciting visions. Obi-Wan's could be quite intense. We *know* he has tons of regret and guilt about Anakin, and that's set up to be pretty central to being able to manifest as a Force ghost. Yoda had to work through his fears, Obi-Wan would to.

That's your movie. Obi-Wan plagued by his past in the desert having religious experiences. My only qualms about that is i believe Luke has a similar situation in store for him in The Last Jedi.

14. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I knew it all along, you are David 8 and I claim my £5.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  15. Kuestmaster

Kuestmaster Jedi Master star 2

Nov 17, 2012
    Logan was an awesome adult movie and didn't have a lot of action for a superhero one. And it worked quite well, with audience and critics alike. I can see something like that working for Kenobi too, without the R rating of course, this is Star Wars after all.

Larsonator and Gigoran Monk like this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    David 8? Of course not.

Anyway, I understand human emotions, although I do not feel them myself. This allows me to be more efficient and capable, and makes it easier for my human counterparts to interact with me.

17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    They can't really play it safe with an obi wan movie or there is no point making it.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  18. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    At this point I'm willing to wait for a Kenobi movie until the new SW has a few more mega successes under its belt if that means they'll be more willing to take risks with a "smaller", more mystical approach. Everything needed for a satisfying story is right there on Tatooine, and I hope TPTB think so too.

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    There are many ideas you could go with on a desert setting like Tatooine, but in terms of why they would be making an obi wan movie... there will have to be some risk and edge to it.

20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    A Kenobi spin off could be quite entertaining. However I doubt that there would be a lot of added value to the saga unless they find a way to tell a hidden story where Obi and Yoda (and maybe o66 survivors) fight Vader and Palps.
    Everything else would be fan service only.

21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Obi-Wan and Yoda fighting Vader and Palpatine (again) wouldn't be fan service? o_O

Dawud786 and Avnar like this.
  22. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    That would break the whole canon, imho.

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would actually enjoy an Obi-Wan movie, even if it does take place with him on Tattooine the whole time. There are different elements I feel that could be quite interesting. Firstly I thought different story ideas involving him trying to maintain his anonymity and avoiding discovery by imperial forces who perhaps had begun patrolling the planet. Or perhaps he does some things which get him tangled with some sort of crime family, like the Hutts. Another thing I thought of would be that the story could take him to some previously unseen part of Tattooine, which has natural elements/landscape that is quite unique and quite different than we've seen before. Sort of flip the script on what we know of Tattooine so far, giving us a fresh look at the planet: If you think about it, the only parts of Tattooine we've seen are spaceports, Jabba's Palace and the Dune Sea, (at least part of it), a podrace track, and a moisture farm. Not to mention everything we've seen seem to gravitate generally around the same region on the planet. What if on the other side of the planet or something, we see some sort of cave structures, or mountain range, or sands that are a different color, or underground dwelling, or some other eco-system which we haven't seen before, introducing a certain type of creature/beings we've not seen before? Then perhaps somehow Kenobi's journey leads him there and he gets tangled with them, and the shenanigans begin. I could find that quite interesting, and it would be nice to see kind of a new side of Tattooine.

I also imagine while this is going on (if it is close enough to ROTS) there could be scenes involving the Emperor, Darth Vader and other imperial forces kind of going on a search for Yoda and Obi-Wan, cutting back and forth between the two until Obi-Wan finally has some sort of run-in with imperial forces on Tattooine, managing to fool them/get away somehow. The film would ultimately play out sort of like The Fugitive. I'd quite enjoy that!

SmallTatooineSun, Krueger and B3 like this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I understand that if a Kenobi spinoff were to happen, it would be on Tatooine because of Ewan's age and the hype surrounding the concept. That's all everyone is talking about. However, I would have much preferred a Young Kenobi story. That's the under-explored era in Star Wars Canon. I think the only piece of canon work we have in that era was the Yoda arc in the comics. The Clone Wars set up a great story where Obi Wan was adventuring with Satine. I would much rather see that than what we've already gotten with the comics and Rebels.

25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Let's see Greedo being a bada** bounty hunter in the Kenobi movie. Please no Boba Fett. Maybe Aurra Sing?

Introduce us to more of the hive of "scum and villainy" Obi-Wan seems pretty familiar with in ANH.

There's an entire criminal underworld on Tatooine that could be explored and villains for Kenobi to go up against.

You don't need the Empire and you don't need Obi-Wan to leave Tatooine for a compelling story.

You have the ability to tell the story of a man lost within himself, who finds is way back to the Force through communion with Qui-Gon's voice, learning to become a Force Ghost, watching over Luke and clashing with Uncle Owen. Maybe Ben wants to take 7 year old Luke on an adventure in the first sequence, and Owen says no, and tells Obi-Wan "never come back!"

Just tell a small story of Obi-Wan coming to the rescue of someone who is at peril at the hands of gangsters, and in the process he finds renewed faith in the Force,etc.

Give us a big, Mad Max worthy chase sequence through Beggar's Canyon. Show us Anchorhead which they can design to look very different from Mos Eisley and Mos Espa... and the Jundland Wastes. Could be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.