main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kessel Run, hun? TOS Ask Jedi Council

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ForceAlly, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    If that works for you, Sturm, go for it...I just tend to think of it like lots of different people coming together to tell tales about some of my favorite characters, with the movies as the source material to extrapolate from.

Some will tell stories geared for kids, some will tell more adult stories, there will be dark stories of loss, and also lighthearted adventures for all ages. Do I have to take any of these as the be-all and end-all of the Star Wars universe? No, because GL has created a world in which a nearly infinite number of stories can be told...

imo, it's more important to tell a good story in your own style, than to do by-the-numbers tales hamstrung by the details (unless you're taking part in a clear attempt at coordinated plotting, such as in the NJO series, etc., in which case more attention to detail is called for).

If the artists involved stick close enough to the established framework, it's okay for them to flub a few details (which may themselves have been flubbed previously anyway....)

In other words, even though they are working within an established framework, you have to let the artists tell their tale, in their own way, then judge it on its merits.

Gotta admit, though, these minor inconsistencies can be very amusing :)

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well jocasta updated her answer:

Han claims that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs -- but a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. What's the deal?
    While Captain Solo is known to make boastful claims that seem to defy the basic laws of space-time physics, in this particular case, an understanding of the mechanics of the Kessel Run illuminates this statistic.

The Kessel Run is a contest of speed and endurance for smugglers. Those who undertake it must deliver specified cargos (usually illicit in nature) to a series of divergently moving transport vessels. The smuggler must deliver the cargo before the transports wander out of the free trade lanes into restricted Imperial space.

Solo's record is impressive, since the transport vessels covered less than 12 parsecs of distance during his hurried run between them, a testament to his piloting and the speed of the Millennium Falcon.

There is more than one way to smuggle spice out of Kessel. According to one tale, Solo left out the middleman and ferried the stolen goods himself, skirting dangerously close to the Maw Cluster, a baffling congregation of black holes. In doing so, he shortened the distance for the run, achieving an impressive record of under 12 parsecs.

Using either methodology allows Solo?s claim to stand, but there are many, including the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, who felt that the Corellian captain was just blowing hot air."

This route allowed all versions to have happened, or been involved with what happened, even fit in obi-wan's thoughts of han's quote from the script.

3. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    But what about Lucas' quote that he was just running his mouth and didn't know what he was talking about?

4. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    See they are paying attention. That is mighty big of her to update it. That is cool. It is a good way to fit both descriptions. :D

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    But what about Lucas' quote that he was just running his mouth and didn't know what he was talking about?

Bib had a theory on that in the CT forum thread. I forget what it was, but I liked it. It retained Lucas' meaning while not invalidating anything.

This is interesting that they updated the answer. That's never happened before.

Our whining has paid off.

6. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    What Padme Bra said. If Lucas himself gives his view on it, namely that Han was simply bragging and exaggerating madly, that overrules what the OS and EU has to say IMHO.

7. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't think Lucas said anything about it. There was just that line from the script. It's there in the CT thread. But if there is a seperate Lucas quote, I stand corrected.

'Sides, the TOS answer still said that particular way of looking at it was just as valid as the others.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "But what about Lucas' quote that he was just running his mouth and didn't know what he was talking about?"

That is why jocasta nu says:

Using either methodology allows Solo?s claim to stand, but there are many, including the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, who felt that the Corellian captain was just blowing hot air.

As well, Ac crispen's book said that many didn't believe him when he got back to civiliation, they just thought it was a computer malfunction. Both of those fits in lucas' quote in the script.

Also genghis can't argue that dated articles can't be updated or changed because they are locked with a date, because this thread proves that jocasta nu did it, :D, she didn't even change the date of her original post(same one she had when she originally put it up).

They can be easily updated if they want meaning to be changed from there original intention, :D, but if they are happy with the original intention they won't change it. Making any article they have printed as valid as any other article today as it was yesterday.

9. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    Ah, the wonderful, re-writable history of fiction.

Ain't life grand? :D

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I bet we could convince Jocasta to change her answer about cindel and wicket's language if we point out EG to characters and gamer 9 saying she indeed spoke basic to him. That he only learned the rudiments, and then lost it between the time of Battle for endor and ROTJ. Much like someone losing use of spanish if they had only taken 1-2 years worth of it, and no longer used it afterwords.

11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    " Date Posted: 1:56am Subject: RE: Kessel Run, hun? TOS Ask Jedi Council
    But what about Lucas' quote that he was just running his mouth and didn't know what he was talking about? "

Well,first you have to ask yourself if you really believe GL always intended for Solo to get a parsec confused with a measurement of time. Would you want to ride along with a man that doesn't know what a parsec is? How ludicrous is that?

I think that was GL covering his butt in that interview. ;)

12. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I guess my question got them thinking :D

As for what GL says, I don't take it too seriously. Until I see Episode 12 that is :D GL has a habit of re-writing history himself. Originally, The Star Wars was the 12 part tale of Luke Skywalker. Now he says he always planned on it being the 6 part tale of Anakin Skywalker. WTF?

wk

13. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I sent them a question as well, :D. I also sent them one that might get them to update the cindel thing.

14. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Originally, The Star Wars was the 12 part tale of Luke Skywalker. Now he says he always planned on it being the 6 part tale of Anakin Skywalker. WTF?

That has been a huge annoyance for me for a long time.

15. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Man, the TFN members are going to be the thorns in TOS side for a long time. :D

Don't ya' love it?

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, it was also said to be the tale of the droids artoo and threepio in a 1983(If I recall the date exactly) article and other sources as well. They were supposed to be the characters that were constant in every one of the films.

17. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    GL flip-flops with his ideas constantly. Whatever sounds good to him at the time is what the movies are about.

Drives me nuts sometimes.

18. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    GL is like beer:

the cause of, and solution to, all of our problems. :D

As for TOS vs. TFN, yes, I like causing Paul headaches. I keep bugging him about an error on the home page. Try to find it :D

wk

19. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    I am sure any pain's we cause in their back side are offset by the soothing feeling we put into LFL's bank accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.