main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Kevin J. Anderson dishes on Lando's planned death, AND MORE, in this JAT 20th Anniversary interview

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Terrific interview, IG, well done. KJA seems like a terrific guy to just sit and talk with, and I love hearing his "outsider" perspective on the Legends thing.

Barriss_Coffee, IG_2000 and Iron_lord like this.
  2. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I'd like to point out "Hansenberg" is officially a thing now.​

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I really wish he'd elaborated on the Lando thing. That was a big "wait, WHAT?" moment.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Great interview IG! I had no idea about that whole bit regarding Darksaber -- it went right over my head. I always passed that book off as another silly superweapon-of-the-week tale that just happened to star Hutts.

Also that bit about Tol Sivron... heh. I wonder how often the authors do that sort of thing. "Boss, you bug me with one more inane request today and I'll immortalize you as a bureaucratic Bib Fortuna forever."

And I really liked that part about the authors being a team. Picking up each other's plot points out of respect and because it was fun, not because the Powers That Be forced them to do it.

5. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Excellent interview!

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Done.

Slave driver....

As for Ludo Kressh's name... *sigh*, ah well.

No matter, the Sith Warrior known as RYDDIK ULASSH will one day stalk the space lanes of TOR! (If I ever get around to playing it)

7. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Ludo Kressh is based on "ludicrous".

I believe the mechanism by which such things happen is called "the subconscious".

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Great interview, I liked hearing his perspective on the whole "Legends" thing and really he makes a pretty good point about all the new super-weapons. Also I'm glad the idea to kill Lando go shot down!!!

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Great job on the interview. Tons of people will be interested in this.

Love the bit about the political correctness police wanting to turn spice into a food additive because Han would never smuggle drugs, lol.

Starkeiller likes this.
  10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Hey, the Empire was tough. You had to go to guys like Han just to get things like cinnamon and paprika.

Works for me...

11. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I never really thought about Darksaber as weapon proliferation when I read it years ago. But that makes a LOT of sense actually.

Never really understood why people don't like his works. I quite enjoyed TOTJ and JAT. (other than the occasional dialogue gaffe - but this IS Star Wars afterall, you kind of have to have those).

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I liked his plots for the most part, he has some good ideas like the proliferation of weapons leading to the Darksaber's construction, its the muddy brown prose that gets me. His books always seem better in synopses than they do in actual reading.

Starkeiller likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The more I think about it, the more I feel this is actually pretty okay by the standards of Sith names.

Revanfan1 and Starkeiller like this.
  14. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Great interview!

15. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    Even though KJA might be lacking in the writing department, he always comes off as a genuinely great guy. It seems that most every author that he worked with on Star Wars thinks very highly of him. That story by Daniel Keys Moran about how KJA really loved The Last One Standing really gave me a lot of respect for him as a world-builder and editor. I think it's very telling that KJA factors in "catching up" on all the recently published novels before considering the possibility of delving into the universe again. That just shows a lot of respect for fellow writers collaborating in the same universe and is probably why most other writers on Star Wars at that time have such a positive opinion on him.

Was that rumor about KJA dictating his books ever confirmed? As in his books were basically edited transcripts of spoken word? It also would have been interesting to hear his take on Veitch and the ending of TotJ. In the past, Veitch seemed a little irritated that KJA's characters eventually came to dominate the storyline and changed the vision that he originally had for it. Awesome interview. You know he's lying about Ludo Kressh. :p

16. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    For what it's worth, I recall it in an Insider interview in the late '90s.

17. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    I am so stealing this for fan-fic reasons.

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    House Ulassh is one of the most ancient and noble of Sith dynasties, stretching back to the Dark Jedi brothers Mettyk and Phantab, who were instrumental in securing early victories in the Hundred-Year Darkness. Though the younger brother looked better doing it.

19. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    I don't know if that's how JAT/Darksaber were written, but that's certainly how he does his newer books. It's no rumor, he talks about it in his blog all the time. :)

20. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    There's actually a moment in the book where Leia says "we can't let the Death Star proliferate."

The reason it doesn't work for me is that if the same dynamic was at work in the Star Wars universe, you'd expect to see Death Star technology, well, proliferating - and you don't. Pretty much all the superweapons are Imperial creations, with one attempt by the Hutts (did anyone else even try? Hapans, Chiss, independent planets? Certainly not New Republic) No one really seems to take them seriously after the Bantam era - even in the NJO, the worst of the New Republic never consider building superweapons, they ignore them in favor of the Alpha Red bioweapon. Clearly, superweapons aren't proliferating in the Star Wars universe like nuclear weapons in real life - probably because (as Han points out in the NJO in one of his most glorious moments in all of Star Wars) they're seen as impractical, fragile and otherwise not worth the money.

Please note, though - that part ISN'T KJA's fault. He came up with the proliferation idea in Darksaber. He can't help it if no one else was interested in following up.

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  21. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    Great interview, KJA seems like a good guy. Like others said, he seemed very respectful of other SW works.

I like that he never intended for Daala to be remotely as capable as Thrawn. And I think the JAT would've actually been the perfect moment for Mon Mothma to bite it, she never really was a factor in the books after that IIRC. I only recall a couple scenes in the Corellian trilogy, but I haven't read everything.

Also, 'it's like food flavoring!' [face_laugh] What on earth was that guy thinking?

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

That said - plotting to use already existing superweapon isn't unheard of in the post-Bantam era - near the start of NJO, and at the start of LOTF, Corellia tries to reactivate Centerpoint Station.

23. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Although the histories often ignore their cousin Querr Ulassh, because no one could stand his whining.

24. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

SUNY Orange and the Mount? Greetings from Wallkill!

[​IMG]

IG_2000 likes this.
  25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Montgomery rep here.

The Galleria Mall is like my second home.

TheRedBlade likes this.