main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kevin Smith on AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_OlsenTwins, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I know some of you don't acre much for Kevin Smith, but here are some of his comments on AOTC in Filmcomment from the new page of TF.N.

"...From the get-go, Lucas captures my limited imagination with one simple proposition. Darth Vader was once a teenager. How pedestrian,yet how profound! Evil's gotta start somewhere, right? Why not show why Johnny can't read - or in this case, can't play well with others, and insists on using the Force to choke underlings who don't live up to his expectations? From the hit-or-miss origin of Phantom Menace's take on baby Anakin as the galactic Hitler in short pants, Clones ups the ante by presenting us with the heart of darkness right where everyone's always known it lies: in the passions of a volatile high schooler.

Right off the bat, Anakin is portrayed as a kid who thinks he knows more than he does, and insists on proving to everybody that he's as good as them, if not better. I went to high school with his guy. Granted, he didn't grow up to carbon-freeze anybody (in truth, I believe he works at a Shell station now), but had he been given a lightsaber and taught how to pull the Jedi Mind Trick on folks, he might've.

In Clones, Anakin is a twelfth grader with a license and parents who want him home by eight: he's a disaster waiting to happen. Who else but a tortured teen leaps out of a sky-speeder to capture a bounty hunter who's talked smack about his girl (or, in the case of Clones, set loose killer centipedes in her bedroom)? With little-to-no concern for his own well-being, based largely on his assumption that he's immortal (that worst of teenage attributes), young Skywalker forces Zam Wessel's craft (how sad is it that I'm 31 and I know the name of a character who's never really identified and appears only fleetingly in the film?) to crash-land in a densely populated city, and then pursues her (it) into a bar only to watch his mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, make the final collar. And how does the Force-ful whelp wrap it all up with the wide-eyed cantina bystanders? He tosses them a condescending "This is Jedi business." The balls on this kid! ...

There's something bittersweet about the fall of Darth Vader now, that hadn't existed before Clones: had his mother simply died of old age, the guy might never have developed that extreme case of asthma he seems to suffer from in Star Wars, Empire, and Return of the Jedi.

Which leads to the most haunting moment of Clones for me: when Anakin breaks down to his puppy love, Amidala, and confesses that he butchered that no-good bunch of sand-eating bandage wearers with his hi-tech Zippo. This scene really resonated with me, because Amidala wears this expression that very quietly says "Holy Christ I'm in love with a human time-bomb." The sad, hopeless look on her face upon learning of his murder spree brought to mind that moment in Jedi when Luke asked Leia if she rememered what her (and his) mother was like. Leia (in what may be Carrie Fisher's finest hour in the original trilogy) reminisced that her mother always seemed sad. Here, nearly 20 years later, we get to see what Leia was talking about.

And that's what worked best for me about the Anakin arc in Clones: the doomed love affair of Anakin and Amidala. Most of the critics dismissed this as the flick's most ham-fistedly handled aspect, but I thought it played out tragically and beautifully. High marks to both Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, because I completely bought their relationship. He wants her desperately without really even know! ing why, as do all teenage boys when they find who they assume is their one-true in high school. And even though she knows this guy is poison, she can't help but fall for him - the little slave-boy that grew up to be a conflicted, impetuous hat tank who insists everyone's giving him a raw deal. In high school, the really hot chicks always went for the massive ****-ups, and eventually wound up married to them. But this marriage doesn't end in small town affiars and divorce; this marriage ends with the girl scattering her kids acros

Echo7even likes this.
  2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Kevin Smith is one heck of a fan :D

ST

3. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    "The sad, hopeless look on her face upon learning of his murder spree brought to mind that moment in Jedi when Luke asked Leia if she rememered what her (and his) mother was like. Leia (in what may be Carrie Fisher's finest hour in the original trilogy) reminisced that her mother always seemed sad. Here, nearly 20 years later, we get to see what Leia was talking about. "

This summarized perfectly why I enjoyed CLONES, because of the generation resonance of the Tusken slaughter. Perhaps I have problems with the rest of the movie because I got greedy and wanted more of this. But that's what Lucas has done to us fans: he leaves us wanting to reach past the stars because he's been there. My hopes are high for Ep 3.

4. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Me & Kevin Smith understood that this was supposed to be a messed up love story, not the Prince Charming & Snow White that everyone else was expecting. What's up with all these other peoples?

5. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    The thing I read from Kevin is that he loved Clones while overall disliking TPM. He was pretty much breathless after his first viewing and his words were "I can't wait to see this film again"

I hadn't seen what you posted before.

6. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Smith certainly has a way with modern vocabulary. He summed things up quite well for me.

EDIT: SDJ-Its from TF.N's main page.

7. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    That is the most accurate, dead-on review of what made many fans love this movie. Those who did not get it missed out on a great experience.

Too bad for them. :D

RB

8. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I would be interested to read his comments on Dooku, Yoda, and the entire arena & clone battles.

9. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Amidala wears this expression that very quietly says "Holy Christ I'm in love with a human time-bomb."

[face_laugh] Perfect.

Great commentary. I want this mag.

10. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    I am gonna get this...

~ICeBReaKeR
    His abilities have made him...arrogant

11. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Great commentary. I need to read the whole thing. :D

12. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    he nailed it, it's a messed up love story, an obsessive teen who's ego is too big in love with a girl who's saddened by her love for him....perfect, which is why I like the love story, cheesy in bits, but perfect for the characters, two teens in love, but with galactic repsonsibilities.....

13. JayandSBob

JayandSBob Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2002
    Does anyone have the Full Article with Kev talking about clones??? If ya have it.. Please send it through!!!!!!!!

14. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Kevin Smith is one of the smartest guys out there...

15. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Did Kevin Smith hate Spidey?

16. Bogden

Bogden Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    This article was great. Kevin Smith is the man. I feel deeply sorry for those who did not enjoy AOTC. His article is just good. He nails everything I liked about the movie. I recieved my Film Comment yesterday and ate up the article by Smith. The magazine has pro and con articles. This and the Time magazine articles are the best I have read about Clones. I just dont get why people dont like AOTC. It is just tailor made for fans. Isnt that enough people. Who cares if it didnt beat Spiderman. I will remember this film for years to come till the day I die. AOTC gets me where Empire, Jedi , and A New Hope did. It gets me to anopther place. The Star Wars Universe is back with a vegence. Enjoy it it will be over in three years. Have a good day.

17. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I think that Kevin Smith probably liked Spidey. If he didn't like it, he probably wouldn't say it too loudly in public since he's done work for Marvel Comics and is slated to take over writing chores on Amazing Spider-Man. Being the comic book guy that he is, I'd be a bit surprised if he didn't like it.

His comments are right on with how I feel after seeing AOTC 5 times. The romance is awkward because it's supposed to be. In realizing this, Anakin and Padme's scenes are much more watchable.

18. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I know Smith loved SM...just not as much as AOTC. If he can enjoy both films (like me and a few others) then why can't everyone else? His new SM/Black Cat mini is looking good...

19. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    There's actually an article about KS's reaction to Spider-man... At first he hated it but he grew to appreciate it or something... I'm too lazy to find the link right now.

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Kevin Smith has done what few bashers have been able to do: He gets it.

Pay attention, boys and girls! A well written and critical article doesn't have to be a negative rant full of cheap shots at George Lucas.

21. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    While I can't stand Kevin Smith (or any of his movies) I have to say that the kid did a good job of reviewing the movie from a fan's perspective.

Good job Kevin. Now if only he would realize that fart and poop jokes are just as low brow as drug and penis jokes.

22. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    LOL! Before everyone was bashing Smith...now they are praising him!

What a world we live in.

23. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

Kevin knows how hard it is to make a movie.
    He's actually made a few.

24. Darth_Prozac

Darth_Prozac Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    I still hate him. I dread the day he gets his greasy mits on a super hero script!
    Will Green Lantern be powered by weed? Will he make a big green boner from his ring? Will there once again be no normal girls in the movie?
    Does anybody else think that Special K has issues with the females?

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    BTW, Kevin LIKED TPM. He posted a favorable review on his website at viewaskew.com many moons ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.