main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kevin Smith on AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Darth_OlsenTwins, Jul 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rafterman

rafterman Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I'm really sorry some people can't buy the love story or think the movie's a failure or dissapointing or that it's poorly made....some criticisms seem fairly valid, enough to discuss, some things are just pathetic, thinking a movie is a failure because you don't care for some music or the photogrpahy by the dp...well that's just your personal dislike and really has no bearing on what the film should be about the story....i buy the love story.....so what if it's only a couple days, that happens and i find it a very plausible love story, a messed up guy gets the girl....look these preqeuls are tragedies, watch everyone make bad decisions that lead to their downfall...it's a galaxy spiraling out of control...i like smith's work and i just happen to agree with him....he's an intelligent guy who can organize his thoughts well when it comes to what he likes about a film, he doesn't say the music sucked, it was bad or that alien looked fake, what a ****** movie, no he's professional about it, he limits it to what matters, not production values, but story.....these actors aren't bad, the story's well done and that's that....

2. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Duckman, on the second page of this particular thread I brielfy outline what I do and do not like about the film.

3. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I think we all agree to like the Slave I and Natalie's nipples.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Although I think there was a thread in May complaining that nipples "have no place" in the Star Wars universe.

5. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    It's good to see some real criticism of AotC in this thread, rather than mindless bashing/gushing.

I myself liked the romance. Yeah, it was fast, but so what? It's a time of war. It's not totally unexpected for lusty young couples like that to wed right before being shipped out into battle.

AL, I'm not going to insult you like some other people just because you didn't like the movie. Although it's unfortunate that you hated it so much. Do you think being spoiled affected your enjoyment of the picture? How much did you know going into TPM?

6. Jedi-Hosinsul

Jedi-Hosinsul Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    To start let me say that I am an AOTC gusher.

Things to remember:
    1-Bashers of the PT are "true" Star Wars and should not be seen as trolls
    2-Trolls are simply people who come on the board to start arguments and then insult you. Most of the people simply like to start fights and have very little life. Most of the negative posters here are bashers (ie:Jabba,Tokyo,etc.)
    3-Ultimately you will not change the mind of someone who does or does not like the movie so why bother, just state your opinions in a mature manner and be civil.
    4-This board is meant to be fun.

I have already stated my opinion regarding KS view of AOTC but I do feel much of what he said is correct. For myself and my wife (she is a true hardcore basher of TPM) AOTC brought back our faith in SW and it did feel like SW to us. Not everything was perfect but I did feel that I could overlook most of the small minor details I did not like.

7. DerthNader

DerthNader Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 25, 2001
    Jeez, all of this whiny belly-aching is obscuring the fact that Qui-John went above and beyond the call of duty to type out the ENTIRE article!

Qui-John, if you read this, I would just like to say...THANK YOU!!!!!! :D

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I second that. Thanks! :)

9. sweethoneygirl

sweethoneygirl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    I have to say I love ATOC. It is right behind my favorite RTOJ. I feel Kevin Smith does have a lot of good opinions about this movie, and that I appreciated because I have heard so many people bash this movie as well as TPM. I think alot of critics and other people who have bashed this movie need to come to terms...Its just entertainment. Its not suppose to be Shakespeare or a compelling historical movie. Its just a fairy tale that can take you away for 12 (when the series is finished) hours to another worlds.

The lines are clumsy and lack of experience because that is a reflection of what the characters are. Padame was being so stiff, because I'm sure that is how she was brought up or became to be in her Political position. She didn't really know how to let loose and have fun with a guy of the opposite sex. Sure she had a crush on a guy before Anakin, but if you listen to her it was before she was Queen so that would have made her 12 or 13, so that wouldn't make her quite experienced.

Sure, I thought the lines Anakin was giving Padame were typical guys lines (in my experience) that I found myself thinking "don't fall for it, because he is only going to break your heart!" Since we all know the ending to this saga...

I have gone back and re-watched all 5 films so far, and feel a lot better and less confused about some aspects of the stories. I feel this is a great tale of mythology (love and politics) and just set it in an technological advanced society.

I think this series will stand the test of time as a great fantasy film!

10. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I think Kevin Smith got it exactly right. I agree with him 100%.

Those who do not see it that way are wrong. Completely wrong. Not because their opinion is wrong but because they fail to understand the movie and the characters.

Perhaps some of us are capable and others are incapable of understanding the obvious.

In any event, AOTC is the best Star Wars movie yet. ROTJ sucks. Kevin Smith is more successful than any of you. There is a God. Democrats are not the protectors of freedom and.... hmmm... Michael Jackson is African-American. Just wanted to throw some facts at you people. ;)

RB

11. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    I totally understand your viewpoint, AL and I'm sorry you don't cherish AOTC as much as I, but to many here Clones was far from being a failure.

12. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Imagine there?s no Jar Jar
    It?s easy if you try
    No Gungans below
    No Baby Boba Fett in the sky
    Imagine all of the fans
    Living like the Jedi

Imagine there?s no midichlorians
    It isn?t hard to do
    Nothing to bash or flame for
    And no Jake Lloyd too
    Imagine all of the fans
    Enjoying the prequels in peace

Imagine no Trade Federation
    I wonder if you can
    No need for taxes or trade routes
    No racial stereotype alien man
    Imagine all of the fans
    Loving all the saga

You may say I?m a gusher
    But I?m not the only one
    I hope some day you?ll join us
    And the fans will live as one

:)

13. Marsguo

Marsguo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2000
    John Lennon lives !

I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

14. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    Duckman... Lennon is gone... let it go. ;)

RB

15. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Kevin Smith is awesome. For a man who admits he only saw TPM ONCE, and only needed to see it ONCE, he goes and criticizes the critics for being too uptight.

What the heck kind of SW fan watches a Star Wars movie only ONCE? Is he that busy smoking bongs that he can't spare another 2 hours to watch a film he supposedly praises?

16. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    Not true Razorback. There is a little John Lennon in all of us....

Paul is the walrus! (or is it John?).

17. Zanath

Zanath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    "I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round"

I really love to watch them roll :)

Anyways, back on topic. I agree with that article. I haven't seen many of Kevin Smith's movies, but the ones I have seen are pretty funny. It was a great article to me.

18. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    smith never praised tpm, (watch clerks animated, jay and silent bob audio comentary)

i'm happy though that he sees aotc for what it is.

19. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I have a feeling that all the Phantom detractors will have a change of heart by the time the box set rolls around.

20. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I bet they will but they probably won't admit to it.

21. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    I have a feeling that all the Phantom detractors will have a change of heart by the time the box set rolls around.

Are they removing Jar-Jar?

22. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "Those who do not see it that way are wrong. Completely wrong. Not because their opinion is wrong but because they fail to understand the movie and the characters."

It's not a question of "getting it;" the question is, "Does it work?" As far as the love story's concerned, my opinion would be no; I found it rushed, clunky and forced, particularly on Padme's side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.