main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Kevin Smith's ROTS Review (Contains Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Atticus, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    Kevin Smith and his wife got to see an early showing of ROTS for there wedding anniversary. I thought I would post it incase any of you were interested in a review. Here it is: Spoilers have been highlited)

- "Revenge of the Sith" is, quite simply, ****ing awesome. This is the "Star Wars" prequel the haters have been bitching for since "Menace" came out, and if they don't cop to that when they finally see it, they're lying. As dark as "Empire" was, this movie goes a thousand times darker - from the triggering of Order 66 (which has all the Shock Troopers turning on the Jedi Knights they've been fighting beside throughout the Clone Wars and gunning them down), to the jaw-dropping Anakin/Obi Wan fight on Mustafar (where - after cutting his legs and arm off, Ben leaves Skywalker burning alive on the shores of a lava river, with Anakin spitting venomous sentiments at his departing mentor), this flick is so satisfyingly tragic, you'll think you're watching "Othello" or "Hamlet".
    I saw a gorgeous digitally projected version of the flick, and lemme tell ya': this is a beautiful looking film. The opening space battle sequence is the best in any of the six "Star Wars" movies. Grievous and Kenobi's lightsaber duel is bad-ass, with Grievous rocking four sabers. The Clone Wars end rather early in the flick (about the halfway point), leaving the rest of the film to concentrate on Anakin's turn to the Dark Side, and the resulting slaughter of the Jedi.
    Perfect example of how dark **** gets: remember the Younglings - the kid Jedis in training from "Clones"? As a result of Order 66, when Anakin invades the Jedi Temple with an army of Clone Troopers, he enters the Council room to find a gaggle of said younglings hiding behind the seats. They see Anakin and emerge, asking "What should we do, Master Anakin?" The query's met with a stone-cold Anakin firing up his lightsaber. The next time you see the kids, Yoda's sifting through their corpses on the floor.
    Yes, it's just that dark - and rightfully so. This is the birth of Darth Vader we're talking about. The only comic moments in the flick are given to R2D2, and while good, they're all pretty few and far between; the order of the day is dark, dark, dark.
    Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor steal the show, but Hayden Christensen silences any naysayers who wrote him off as too whiney in "Clones". This is the flick that feels closest to Episodes 4, 5, and 6, because - for the first time since "Return of the Jedi" - there is a clear villain. And for all the shadow-play Palpatine has been upto in the last two flicks, his treachery is about as subtle as John Williams' score in "Sith." Whether he's slowly drawing Anakin toward the Dark Side during an opera/performance art piece with his promise of the Sith's power of life over death, or he's engaged in a balls-to-the-wall lightsaber duel in the Senate with Yoda, his "Little, green friend" (his words, not mine - which I kinda dug, because, interestingly, I think it's the first time anyone's acknowledged that Yoda is green in any of the "Star Wars" flicks), this is the Emperor's movie.
    The last fifteen minutes dovetail nicely into Episode 4 (or just plain "Star Wars" for you non-geeks), and the movie is full of link-up moments as well.
    - At flick's end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol's memory be wiped).
    - The twins, natch, are split up. Leia heads to Alderann with Bail Organa, and Obi Wan hands Luke over to Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (indeed, the closing shot is Owen holding Luke while looking out over the setting suns of Tatooine - mimicking the shot of the adult Luke doing the same in "Star Wars", complete with callback cue from Williams).
    - After he succumbs to the Dark Side, Anakin tries to convine Padme that he can overthrow Palpatine, and together, he and Padme can rule the galaxy as husband and wife.
    - Vader and the Emperor stand beside a younger Grand Moff Tarkin on the bridge of a Star Destroyer, overlooking the earliest construction stage of the Death Star.
    - Yoda tel

2. brook_33

brook_33 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 2003
    SWEET!!!

3. audiogirl21

audiogirl21 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2001
    kewl. oo yeah!

4. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    *a splodes*

Can't wait...

5. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    I can't wait and I'm glad that he gave it such a good review. The other reviews he gave to TPM & AOTC were mixed. He liked TPM overall but thought that AOTC was the most beautiful train wreck that he ever saw.

6. Larena_Jade

Larena_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2002
    *no comment* :eek: :D

7. OldBenny

OldBenny Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    Sweet!!

8. CasualJesus

CasualJesus Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2005
    Oh snap.

9. Atticus

May 31, 2002
    Welcome to the boards Jesus, I have been waiting for you. ;)

10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Everything he said is definitely true. That was a great review. I don't see how ANY fan could not like this film. As far as any of those few idiots on Rotten Tomatoes who claim, "Oh I'm a critic but a HUGE Star Wars fan and I was disappointed," then sorry you're not a huge Star Wars fan, plain and simple. There is nothing disappointing about this film, it's just a masterpiece.

11. OldBenny

OldBenny Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    I hate rotten tomatoes.

12. medfordforcemaster

medfordforcemaster Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    rotten tomatoes will eat my lightsaber, and feel the wrath of the dark side>:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.