main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

key light or dv matte pro

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by dark_lord_biped, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dark_lord_biped

dark_lord_biped Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 16, 2002
    if you have ae 6.0
    which is the better keyer?

2. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Assuming you have dvmatte pro, too, right?

Try the demos.

3. dark_lord_biped

Sep 16, 2002
    ture
    i am upgradeing to ae 6 soon i was wondering if i need dv matte pro as well.

4. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    From what I hear, keylight is basically a faster version of color difference keyer. Dvmatte pro is a necessity, IMO. I've used the demo of dvmp, not keylight yet, tho.

5. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Nope, not at all. Keylight is professional and separate keyer. It was created bf CFC, now Framestore/CFC. It's about in the same league as Primatte and Ultimatte. They might have even won an Oscar SCiTech award for it but I can't recall for sure. They later commercilized it via The Foundry. It has been used in many films and you can even download test images (from The Saint, Executive Decission and the Merlin miniseries) to try it out.

6. AWB1989

Jul 3, 2002
    I stand corrected.

However, dvmp is the perfect keyer for DV footage.

7. Ru_precht

Ru_precht Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2003
    Keylight works exceptionally well. Why spend money you don't have to.... stick with AE.

8. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Keylight is GREAT for keying fantastic imagery at high resolution with great and accurate color information at high speed with AMAZING results.

Then there's DV. A low-resolution, compressed, color-space-mangled format, often shot under less than ideal lighting condition through less than ideal lenses onto less than ideal CCD's.... all issues of which keylight adresses NONE, and dvMattePro adresses THEM ALL.

Does that answer your question?

/Z

9. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "Keylight is GREAT for keying fantastic imagery at high resolution with great and accurate color information at high speed with AMAZING results."

Damn, he got here first. :(

;)

Zap is right. Keylight is fantastic...with film or HD. With something that only gives you a 720x480 image, DVMattePro is much better, since it's DESIGNED for it. Likewise, DvMattePro may not work so well on film or HD, but Keylight will, since it's designed for it.

Cometgreen

10. dark_lord_biped

Sep 16, 2002
    sweet thanks for all the replies.
    after doing some thinking dv matte pro is only what 145 so why not have it. most of my work will be off of digi beta and hd but for my own work dv matte pro will be great even it is is just for pre vis.

thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.