main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Kick-Ass & Kick-Ass 2 (Hit-Girl prequel & Kick-Ass 3 in the works?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 23, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though the movie rights announcement came out back after the first issue came out a few months ago, some details on the progress for the Kick-Ass movie, rumored to be directed by Matthew Vaughn, are starting to trickle out.

Writer Mark Millar (recently of Wanted fame) mentions on CBR:

"I'm working as a producer on ['Kick-Ass'] as well, so I've been involved for about eight months, believe it or not," the writer said. "The comic didn't come out until February, but we made the deal on the movie back in December. The script was finished six months ago, and it starts filming on location in New York in August. So it's moving really fast."

In terms of the talent involved, Millar played coy, but did note that all the pieces had fallen into place to make "Kick-Ass" er...kick-ass. "The casting's all been done, and everything's all in line now with that. There's two big names attached, which I can't mention so we can get on the cover of 'Variety.' And now we've got everyone. The kids who show up at the end of issue #3 - we just cast the girl, and that was a really tricky one because we needed to find someone who could do martial arts stuff. So the whole movie's ready to role."

For those who haven't checked the series out yet, here's a summary of the plot from the first 3 issues so far:

Dave Lizewski, an ordinary high school student with an interest in comic books, decides he wants to become a real-life superhero. He puts together a suit and mask, which he wears under his normal clothing, puts on muscle and practices things like walking on roofs, which sates that desire for a while. When that wears off, he graduates to fighting crime, the first attempt at which leads to him getting a severe beating, wandering into the street, and hit by a van, whose driver drives away. He's able to keep his secret identity, though, stripping off and hiding his costume before paramedics arrive.

Claiming he was mugged, he spends the next few months in St. Vincent's Hospital undergoing four operations, counseling, and physical rehabilitation. When released, he swears off hero work, because it's hurting his father and putting a strain on their finances, only to don the suit and go on patrol as soon as he is off the crutches. On a "patrol" he saves a man from a beating. An onlooker catches the scene on his cell phone's camera and uploads it to YouTube, turning Lizewski into an overnight sensation, even being christened with the name Kick-Ass.

In school, the mugging excuse used to cover up his bruises spawns rumors Lizewski is a gay prostitute. Believing them, his long time crush Katie Deauxma adopts him as a "gay best friend," which he doesn't deny in an effort to spend time with her. His father, worried about him, gives him a can of police-issue pepper-spray to protect him.

As Kick-Ass, Lizewski sets up a MySpace account, so people can contact him for help. The first such crime he goes to investigate, a man making prank phone calls to his ex-girlfriend, turns out to be an apartment full of people who do not hesitate to fight him when he shows up. As he's losing the fight, however, a costumed nine-year-old girl wielding a sword saves him, killing two of the attackers right away and challenging the others, saying: "Okay you *****, let's see what you can do."

It's quite funny and violent. :D

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Well, it's different, anyway. [face_mischief]

3. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    This is the 1st time I`ve heard anything about this, it sounds pretty good though, sounds like it would be pretty funny!

For some reason though, while I was reading that summary I couldn`t help but picture Zach Braff in the role!

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    He's in his 30's.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it'd have to be some who could at the very least play much younger.

6. Benny_Blanco

Benny_Blanco Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    Yeah I know, I`m not suggesting he should be cast, just that I can TOTALLY imagine him (as J.D.) doing something like that!

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Sounds like built-in plugs for you tube and my space. Are they the backers of the film?

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think you can really advertise myspace and youtube (at least as far as you imply product-placement-wise)- they've become ingrained tools of our culture now. It's anchoring the film somewhat in reality- in real life, if you did try this, you would end up getting your ass kicked, and if any group stood around watching you fight, there'd be some dude with a cell phone camera who'd upload it to youtube within a couple hours. The myspace page is just a bit of meta-reality/viral marketing.

9. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I should totally be playing the lead role in this movie.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  11. Akumz_Razor

Akumz_Razor Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Shia LeBouf? [face_plain]

12. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Matthew Vaughn has way too much talent to be spending it on this bull.

**** Mark Millar. Wanted was an abortion.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Come on, admit it Fel. You liked seeing Angelina Jolie's naked ass too. :p

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wanted the movie was damn fun, easily the 3rd best summer action flick behind TDK and Iron Man.

15. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Listen quest, I love you but you have terrible taste. I mean the absolute worst. Wanted was like watching Gary Busey have sex with your mom and pouring sugar in your gas tank, while lighting your toy collection on fire, and making you play ET atari.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AICN ahs another pic:

[image=http://origin.aintitcool.com/images2009/kickassisborn.jpg]

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lionsgate has the distribution rights now and has slated it for April 16th, 2010, bumping The Expendables back to August.

20. Soontir-Fel

Dec 18, 2001
    Quest you are the only one who cares shut up this movie will suck **** Mark Millar.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Your hatred only shows how much you really care. :p

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Kick-Ass sequel planned

"There's a basic plot. The series ends on a teaser for the next one, and the movie ends on that teaser, too" says Millar in an interview with MTV News.

One of the key reasons behind a potential sequel though is cost. Due to its independent financing, the first film "didn't cost that much money to make. There will definitely be another one.

23. Ninja_Jedi

Ninja_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I saw several of the scenes from the movie at comic-con and I was extremely impressed. They seemed to capture the tone, and humor, of the comic. Can't wait to see this.

That being said, I hope the whole "Leaving it open for a sequel" Doesn't mean "Giant cliff hanger." I want a fully enclosed story that leaves me satisfied and excited for more.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/104/1042741/kick-ass-20091105023449635.jpg]

via IGN (who have the single versions up too)

25. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    "Wanted" had a real slick style to it. I liked it alot.

I'll check this out.