main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Kick-Ass & Kick-Ass 2 (Hit-Girl prequel & Kick-Ass 3 in the works?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 23, 2008.

1. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Sexual assault? Yes. Rape? No.

If it were rape, it would be called "rape" and not "attempted rape".

2. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This is kind of one of those topics where you should sort of just close your mouth and not speak your mind even if you disagree. You, being OZK, are one of the last people on this planet to define what rape is or isn't and considering that it's a largely female-oriented problem you should just take the back seat on this one so that you don't make more of an idiot of yourself. Unless of course you've been raped and you wish to discuss it. Otherwise pipe the **** down.

3. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    I don't remember anything from the first movie, which is never a good sign, so I don't know about this one. Jim Carrey sounds pretty interesting, though

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    From what I've been hearing, Jim Carrey's performance is one of the only good things about this film.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I believe there's a legal controversy on whether there is rape w/o penetration or not.

Or something. It's not a topic for this thread, anyway, so stop it.

6. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For clarification, what happens in the movie:

The MF's group of villains assault Night Bitch's house (as opposed to the comic, where they lay waste to the whole neighborhood while targeting Katie instead), due to her link to Kick-Ass via Justice Forever.

One of his goons grabs her and the MF announces his intention to rape her. However, he has performance issues so they beat her instead (unlike the comic, where Katie's father is murdered and the MF actually rapes her, all the while not knowing what her connection is to events).

She's never seen being (or implied to have been) stripped, physically violated or bent over or put into a compromising/vulnerable position (other than your typical restrained movie hostage/captive), if that affects one's definition. We see her recovering from her injuries in a hospital later.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I thought the film was good, but not as good as the original.

Jim Carrey is good but under-used, the other supporting characters are fun and get some good laughs. Hit Girl is the best character and it's nice to see a real tough female in a super-hero type of movie who steals the scenes from all the men rather than just playing a supporting role like largely forgettable Black Widow does in Avengers.
    Moretz deserves her own spin-off, if it's written well.

I'm not sure where the story can go from here, I know there is a Kick Ass 3 comic so I assume there will be a 3rd movie at some point.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They did have a Hit-Girl miniseries set between KA1 & KA2- it's effectively the "trying to fit in in high school" Mean Girls content in the KA2 movie. The KA2 comic starts her with the "training Kick-Ass and hiding from Marcus" storyline.

The KA3 comic has only had 2 issues so far. But the changes to the KA2 story for the film will amke it difficult for a third movie as it currently is.

At the end of the KA2 comic, Hit Girl was arrested after helping save the city by a cop on the mob's payroll. KA3 starts with Kick-Ass and company planning to break her out of prison (as per her instructions and the prison blueprints/etc she provided as a contingency) but chickening out. Meanwhile the MF's other uncle (the one in prison in AK2 played by Ser Gregor was killed off by the MF in the KA2 comic to consolidate her power) from Sicily comes back to town to take over the family business. The cop that arrested Hit irl is now promoted. The MF is recovering from his injuries in a hospital. His mother is getting constantly harassed by the family and friends of the MF's victims and plans to kill him- though ends up killing the brother of Colonel Stars and Stripes instead, stopping him from killing the MF in the hospital himself.

So the problem with a film adaptation is that they killed off the MF's mom already, the MF doesn't really have any victims (since they don't shoot up the neighborhood) except for cops, and Hit Girl hasn't been arrested.

I'm assuming the next movie will have to come up with a new story of how Hit Girl gets arrested, will probably carry over Ser Gregor's death to trigger the arrival of the other uncle... and the MF's story will probably have a different introduction/setup, though the indicators of the comic and the cast/crew of the film seem to suggest they want to bring the MF back from the darkside, so to speak.

10. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Not seeing this. The first one made me feel positively ill.

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The second one has the misfortune of not having Mark Strong either.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I was surprised they cut back on "Ser Gregor"'s character's role- he's no Mark Strong but he would have added some non-costume menace in a similar fashion.

On another cast note, I was surprised John Leguizamo was in the film- I don't think we saw him in the trailers at all. He's actually pretty good in his supporting role.

13. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Wait... why are you calling him 'Ser Gregor'? That's not who he is.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Doh! Jorah, sorry- my mind merged him with the other Ser that joined them but brought the more commonly spoken name to the front and I just repeated my error from there.

15. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I loved the movie. Loved. Loved. Loved it. It was better than the first (no Nick Cage!).

I missed the stinger scene. I'll have to watch it again.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Nick Cage was a big part of what made the first one work IMO, Carrey was meant to be his replacement for this movie but unfortunately was under-used. Shame, he seemed a better character overall.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The original Kick Ass is noteworthy for having the first legitimate "good" performance by Nic Cage in nearly 10 years.

18. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Nic Cage was Nic Cage. He wasn't "good" in the movie. He was just himself and it happened to work with the role.

Aytee-Aytee and Rogue_Ten like this.
  19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    momma always said, nic cage is as nic cage does

Souderwan likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think the first Kick-Ass is a better film over all. I can't knock too much of KA2 though.

This link concerns a reply about acts of villainy, and concerns rape in the comic

The gist is that the writer seems to think that the best way to make an audience hate a villain is, among other things, rape. We are desensitized to murder, beatings, brutality, especially in comics and comic book type movies. These comics and films are more graphic of course.

The problem here is the girlfriend in refrigerators syndrome. It is done differently in KA1, where Hit Girl's father is killed and she then seeks further revenge and we(or at least I) wanted to see Hit Girl fight and fight and fight.

Rape is different. In The Shawshank Redemption it is a drama and situation that is overcome. It does not seem sensationalized, it's part of the story. I did not read the KA2 comic(yet) though I know about its rape scene. In the film it is not really implied either. The way it's done and edited MF has a comedic 'can't get it up' moment and then they beat her up. Not that that's ok, but like I said we take that easier.

What Millar gets wrong in his opinion is that we actually don't want to hate villains in fiction. We want to be entertained by them as they drive the narrative. The villains and/or antagonists move the story and make the situations to be overcome. Yes, we want Luke and Gang to overcome Vader. But we love Vader. We make lists like Top Ten FAVORITE villains. Vader the rapist? No. No fun. Hannibal Lecter eats people. Hannibal the rapist? Nope. No good.

In mythology, and modern tales that use mythology(See Donaldson) you can get away with rape scenes. Old mythology is loaded with it.

That's all the commentary I can do off the top of my head over the matter.

Anyway, Kick-Ass is good, go see it.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I almost gave up on reading the 2nd KA but surprisingly it won me over by the end.
    I still don't like Millar's tendency to, IMO, go too far for no real reason.

Like I said though, it won me over and I'll probably see the movie at some point.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Goddammit. Only that second line up there is a link. Oops. How do we know what mods are on so I can chnage that?

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Anyway, out of curiosity I looke dup Mother Russia. Olga Kurkulina is a pro bodybuilder, stands 6 foot tall, and weighs about 180 pounds.

Yeah, not my thing. But that's her. Here's a cool pic though.

[​IMG]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fixed.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, saw it -- didn't love it but was "okay" -- and totally did not understand the ending one bit, so whatever point they were trying to make was confusing as all hell.