main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Kick-Ass & Kick-Ass 2 (Hit-Girl prequel & Kick-Ass 3 in the works?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 23, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I caught it a second time and did enjoy it more the second go-around.

But, yeah, I can see how the ending might seemed muddled (probably because the ending wasn't adapted from the comics).

I think the point was:

That superheroes have to eventually stop being superheroes, sort of in a "Batman has to retire eventually" type way. That real heroes fill in when they're not around.

Mindy can't stick around because of what she's done but Dave can- even if he's not a badass. At the end, though, he's working towards being a badass to continue that legacy. I think the implication is Dave is on a path to being the next Big Daddy (thus the armored helmet and suit designs).

The retirement vs badass thing is probably where it gets muddled. I think what they're getting at is that superheroes eventually have to hang it up, but Hit Girl and Kick-Ass aren't ready to do that yet (they're the ones turning pain into good, etc, etc).

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sean Connery was himself in everything, but he was still awesome.

Souderwan and Eeth-my-Koth like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And to be fair- he wasn't Nick Cage being Nick Cage, he was Nick Cage being Nick Cage by channeling Adam West.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ummmm

[​IMG]

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just because a movie he was in isn't awesome, doesn't mean he wasn't ;).

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The movie was so terrible that it caused him to retire though!

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

Fair. But now you're just being silly if you're trying to draw any connection between Nick Cage and Sean Connery. When Sean Connery made a terrible superhero movie, he retired from acting. When Nick Cage made a terrible superhero movie (Ghost Rider), he made a sequel.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I never read the comics, so that was okay.

It was more the "the city needs regular people" and showing Dr. Gravity in streetclothes chasing down a purse snatcher... and then showing Kick Ass training (which I thought would be in the Police Academy) but showing him working on technology and armor upgrades, as well as totally not explaining where the money was coming from on top of being antithetical to what his narration just implied.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The money was probably just Hit Girl and Big Daddy's stash (suitcase of money from the first film from drug dealer raids).

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe Big Daddy had a lot of tech and materials stored and available for Kick Ass to make armour for himself, the guy did seemingly model himself on Batman after all.

Connery made several bad movies (such as The Avengers, the other one) and didn't retire afterwards, Cage has been a poor judge of what movies he should be in over the last few years but like Connery the fault is with the movies being bad not him being a bad actor.

11. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    No. Nick Cage is a terrible actor. I don't know what universe you live in.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Raising Arizona, Kick Ass, The Rock, I forgive him of all film wrongdoing just for those fun movies.

13. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    I didn't see Raising Arizona, but I agree on the other two. I actually enjoyed Con Air, too. :p He's still terrible.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    You have to see Raising Arizona. You will not regret it.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

john malkovic in con air is one of my posting spirit animals

Souderwan likes this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    cage clearly doesn't give a **** anymore and actually seems to enjoy making a mockery of himself, but he was more than adequate in just about everything he was in for the first decade or so of his career. i thought his oscar for leaving las vegas was well deserved.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Raising Arizona can be a tough movie to watch, but the people it clicks with tend to love it dearly.

That said, I've given it several chances during my life and just don't find it that funny. Cage is fine in it, but the only reason to really watch the movie is because of John Goodman. Even I found him hilarious in the movie. The Warthog From Hell bits were fun too. The rest of film just kind of exists.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i think you're giving him too much agency here. the guy owns like 2 castles and this is his son:

[​IMG]

he's not making a mockery of himself as some sort of performance art, he's just literally ******* insane

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i would totally own two castles if i could.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    fair enough

21. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    So I bought and saw Kick-ass 2 and I thought it was really good. And not meaning to bring back the whole topic of Jim Carrey not supporting the film because I respect his opinion but its like Chloe Moretz its a movie and its all make believe. Its not word for word what she said but basically the same thing I mean if you take away a violent message from the film then there is something already wrong with you. Anyways as I said I really enjoyed it and Colonel Stars & Stripes was an awesome character and I love the big fight scene between the villains and heroes.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Matthew Vaughn may not have given up on the franchise yet.

With the release of the "Kick-Ass" sequel not faring particularly well with either critics or at the box-office, it looked like that franchise died a quick death - something that actress Chloe Moretz seemingly confirmed last year in interviews.

Now though it appears Moretz could slip back into the Hit-Girl outfit - in a prequel. Matthew Vaughn, who directed the first film and this week's "Kingsman: The Secret Service," says that he thinks the franchise still has plenty of life left in it and one suggestion would be a Hit-Girl prequel movie ahead of a third "Kick-Ass". Vaughn tells Joblo:

"Do you know what's going to be next if I do it... we've finished plotting it. What we have to do is, we've got to do the 'X-Men: First Class' to the Kick-Ass world. We lost a few fans on Kick-Ass 2. It wasn't as loved as one would've hoped.

So we have this idea for a Hit-Girl prequel. It's a really strong, really simple prequel where I think we can regain the love and the passion. If that happens, I'm pretty sure I can persuade Aaron and Chloe to come back and finish the story of Kick-Ass with 'Kick-Ass 3'.

Mark and I have already plotted Hit Girl. We have to get the script done next. It's so far out there, you have no idea."

With Moretz recently turning eighteen, a 'prequel' per se seems impossible unless they recast a younger Mindy. The other possibility is essential a Moretz-led standalone spin-off akin to "The Wolverine" with flashbacks including a younger actress and Nicolas Cage's Big Daddy.

Vaughn says he would NOT direct the third "Kick-Ass" and is looking for a "really bold, clever director" like "The Raid" helmer Gareth Evans to tackle the movie which is mostly set in the Far East.

I'm surprised this is even being considered but I guess KA2 did manage to barely break even domestically and do about the same worldwide. Not the magic "3x budget" number but then video sales were a factor in getting KA2 made (albeit on top of KA1's much better BO performance).

Still, I'm curious to see where they take it if this does pan out. The Hit-Girl comic series was basically combined with Kick-Ass 2 for the KA2 movie... and the KA2 movie actually precluded several major elements from the KA3 comic series from being used so a potential third film would have to deviate significantly from the source material even more than the first two films did in order to work at all.

In any case, here's hoping they manage to capture the joy and energy of the first film that the second mostly lacked. Vaughn's recent Kingsman movie tried to emulate Kick-Ass (though directed at a different genre- spy films) for the second half of the movie but it's limited focus (as the first half of the movie tried to be something different- something more like First Class) came up a bit short (the film still managed to be entertaining despite that- it just wasn't the pure joy that KA1 was).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I really love the Kick-Ass films. I like how they don't shy away from using bright colors or that it is self aware.

I don't think a prequel could really work because it was pretty much covered in the original film with the comic book panels telling the back story.

I would be on board for a Kick-Ass 3, but I would prefer Matthew Vaughn be the director and not some type of producer. Yeah, the third part of the movie would be very different from the comic book as in the comic book:
    Dave gives up being Kick-Ass as he's getting regular coitus and Hit Girl is in prison.

I would like to see how Dave continues his Kick-Ass crusade in his new armor and the return of Hit Girl in a more fitting and flattering costume.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's also
    The MF'ers mom being a key role in the first thurs of KA3, despite her dying in the second film.

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Ya know, I don't remember that. I have to look back at my issues of KA3 and her role in it. But her character won't have anything to do with the film version of KA3, if it ever can to be.

I suppose there still the MF'er's uncle that was in prison could still be the big bad villain that brings back Hit Girl for a KA3.