main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Kick-Ass & Kick-Ass 2 (Hit-Girl prequel & Kick-Ass 3 in the works?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 23, 2008.

1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Lyndsy Fonseca (the girlfriend) is saying that it's going to be a while before Kick-Ass 2, if it happens.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    "Kick-Ass 2: Balls to the Wall" is scheduled for 2012.

Perhaps the Apocalypse *will* occur that year...

3. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't see what can be done in the sequel. Have Augie from Role Models carry the picture as a villian? That isn't all that tempting. I would say go darker but I almost think the first film went to an area where darker isn't necessarily better. I think what should be done is to play up the absurd factor. There's a saneness in Kick-Ass after a while.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, it's hard to say exactly, as only one issue of the sequel series has been released so far- and that came out (and sold out) 5 months ago. So, much like the first series, the series probably won't be finished until a week before the movie comes out ;).

But, so far, there are two plot threads: one is Mindy both trying to live a normal life while also training Dave to be a better fighter/hero (and trying to do so without Marcus (who has been included into the comics as a nod to the film) finding out, as he made her promise him to give up the crimefighting). Millar has made comparisons to A History of Violence's main character in regards to her.

The other is Red Mist (now called The Motherfracker (well, not exactly that term ;)) gathering a team of supervillains (the natural result of there being superheroes) in secret, while Kick-Ass begins forming a superhero team. Millar describes the former as being like the gang from A Clockwork Orange.

And, going by the flashforwards and comments from the first issue, it'll apparently lead to some big throwdown in Times Square, as well as Dave's identity being revealed, his house being destroyed and someone close to him ending up brain damaged.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Millar says sequel filming this summer

There have been all kinds of rumours circling regarding a potential sequel to Kick-Ass ever since it made a tidy profit in 2010. The comic book series exploring the further adventures of Dave and Mindy is still ongoing, so the source material is there, and comic book creator Mark Millar has now confirmed that Kick-Ass 2, along with American Jesus, will shoot this summer.

The statement seems optimistic considering Jane Goldman recently revealed that neither she nor director Matthew Vaughn are likely to return to the sequel in their original capacity. That said, Vaughn is down to produce (although you'd imagine most of his attention will be on the X-Men: First Class sequel).

As yet, there?s also no word on whether the key cast will be returning either, so if this is to shoot this summer they?re certainly keeping the finer details about the production - such as the director and screenwriters - quiet. We'll wait and see what happens there.

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    This is the same Mark Millar who talked about the trilogy of Superman films he'd be doing for WB, yeah?

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I really disliked Kick-Ass the first time out in theaters. But I watched it on Netflix Streaming not too long ago and it's grown on me, maybe because so much of what I see on Netflix is so rotten. I see some potential in a sequel. Mindy is the real deal, while Kick-Ass is the public face of vigilante crime-fighting. Red Mist will need some heavy-duty badass counterpart to Mindy. Also, I think it would be fun to see him take over his dad's organized crime empire. Just, please, no more jet packs. The whole premise of the first film still falls apart over the jet pack. We have enough of a willing suspension of disbelief burden with Mindy alone.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm pretty sure I read recently a quote from Jane Goldman saying this wasn't happening anytime soon.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    In the sequel comic, he does get a bodyguard called Mother Russia.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So Mark Millar (known for his, let's say, big mouth) says Jim Carrey is going to play Colonel Stars, as rumored earlier last week.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Heh, at this rate having any character played by a major star in this series
    is a clear sign that character will be brutally killed

12. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    So, wait is this actually happening or what?

I loved Kick Ass and would love to see a sequel.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It'll be interesting to see how they handle this - they kind of scrubbed Hit Girl's origin and the utterly bizarre "romance" subplot for the first film, and the second series is more reliant on controversial shock by a great deal, to the point that a lot of folks were wondering if Millar was trying to make it unfilmable.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I doubt Millar will ever right one of his own projects again without a movie adaptation in mind. Pretty much everything he writes is in development as a film.

However, elements of both kick-Ass 2 and Hit Girl do acknowledge some facets introduced by the movie (Marcus looking after Mindy, etc)- and I don't think the change to Hit Girl/Big Daddy's comic origins will affect the story much (it only really affects Big Daddy's motivation, and he's dead now; the training was still real to Mindy either way). The change in the love story, though, is more significant, but won't change the plotting, just the emotional impact.

The suburban massacre/rape, for example, will arguably be more effective if its a girl that is involved with our hero, rather than one who hates him- you just lose the "she was harmed by association, despite her non-involvement" guilt angle for Kick-Ass and replace it with a "she was harmed by association, because of her involvement" fear/guilt).

Of course, that's assuming that sequence is even in the film- as you said, the brutality and shock of many of those sequences will be difficult to merge with the tone of the film (but I cant see them skipping it- retooled, yes, but they can't drop that important transition from
    criminals to terrorists during that first confrontation with the cops- it sets the entire stage for the level of the police response to the Times Square brawl).

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My point is more that they've already toned some elements down for palatability, I'm wondering if they'll tone down more scenes - that one in particular - in the same way. Should be interesting to see how it pans out.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First shot of Jim carrey in the film:

[​IMG]

Did the dog have a mask in the comic? I forget. If not, that's an amusing addition.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    OK, I just finished Kick-Ass 2. Good stuff. And yes, the dog has a mask, but it's not an American flag pattern, and the dog doesn't wear any shirt.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jim Carrey's accent is awesome. Hit Girl's key line on top of the van doesn't quite have the oomph I'd imagine but I think it might be more effective in context.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    eh, it doesn't look very good. hope i'm wrong though.

23. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Jim Carrey as a Brooklyn Nick Saban

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, Carry's voice is awesome. 31 thing I look forward to, Hit Girl cursing and defeating others in combat.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002