main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ant-Man (and the Wasp) (Quantumania): Kicking Your Ass, One Inch at a Time

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 18, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Importance within the Marvel universe doesn't necessarily translate to a high profile for the character (Blackbolt is one of the Illuminati and he's clearly a D-lister or lower, for example)..

If Iron Man was a B-level character before he got a movie, Ant-Man was most certainly a C-lister (or lower).

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is this happening middle of July?

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Only know Ant-Man from Marvels events. Never really wowed me, but I'm hoping Marvel can do it again.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "If"

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ...he totally was. Important in the MU, yes, but he was absolutely considered a second string property until the movie came out.

Spidey, Wolverine/X-Men, Hulk were A-listers. Fantastic Four and Cap probably too. All people knew about Iron Man was what they knew from the Black Sabbath song- and the song isn't even about him. ;)

6. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If they were A-List Marvel didn't own them.

Marvel is making a new A-List.

7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm...not so sure about that 2ndQuest. That sounds more like people you interact with in your communities online and in person than a general overall rule of marvel.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Uh, yeah...

Marvel had exactly two A-listers: Spider-Man (the most popular comic book character, even on top of Batman I think?) and X-Men/Wolverine.

Everyone else was a B-lister who got movies: Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Avengers, etc. I'd sort of toss Ant-Man in here as a founding member of the Avengers.

Mockingbird, GOTG, etc. -- C-listers.

Which is why DC is soooooooooooooooo infuriating since they have three of the top A-listers in the game (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman) all of whom would crush the X-Men in recognition, and who have a superior second-string B-list with the JLA and... keep f'in it up.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No one outside of online and geek communities knows about Ant-Man- if they've even heard of him in the first place. To me, that suggests a C-lister.

Iron Man, they might have heard of but probably didn't know details- that's a B-lister.

(and I'm not trying to force an opinion here or anything- Iron Man's second string status prior to the first film has been often cited as one of the more impressive surprises about the MCU's success in pretty much any mainstream article/video on the subject for the past 7 years- including material produced by Marvel itself.)

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If Ant Man gets a movie then Iron Fist should get a movie.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Iron Fist is getting a tv series. There are only so many movies Marvel can make at a given time. The tv series might be very good (fingers crossed, I love Iron Fist).

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Marvel kicking this thing off with Iron Man was a risk, but what were their other options at the time? Hulk was definitely a higher profile character, but there had already been a poorly received Hulk film five years earlier (I know, not technically part of the MCU), and while its kinda-sorta-not-quite-soft-reboot-retcon sequel followed just a few short months after Iron Man, a Hulk movie really wasn't the ideal way to launch this new project. That really only leaves Captain America. Certainly higher profile than Iron Man, and given that his origins are in the past, he would seem the ideal way to start things off. The problem is, when Cap is thawed out, he needs to awaken in a world where the wheels are already in motion. That requires a set-up. Tony Stark/Iron Man is the best way to get things rolling. The safest bet? No, but it (and the hiring of Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr.) was the first of many gambles that has paid off handsomely for Marvel.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I'm going with the name "Hank Pym" as he helped found The Avengers.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently we can expect a trailer to debut during Agent Carter in a week or two. Plu,s we get our first concept art look at Yellowjacket:

[​IMG]

I get an almost proto-Iron Spider vibe from it (and maybe a dash of Ghost?). Certainly more practical than the "blind spots!" design of the original:

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ant-sized tweaser is up:

Clearly Ant-Man is using pre-1996 Quicktime technology.

[​IMG]

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What were Guardians of the Galaxy?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I would say D-list.

18. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Sure am glad Marvel's above gimmicky advertising oh wait.

This is about as annoying as the teaser for the latest Age of Ultron trailer premiering during some college football game.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably more cost effective than a shorter Super Bowl ad and it'll reach a larger audience than AC/AOS

20. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Just give me the trailer now Marvel plz.

Yeah Definitely, all of Marvel Studios films have starred B-list characters and lower IMO. Now their popularity might change that, the only A-List character in the MCU was Hulk. It's a weird world we live to have a MCU void of Spiderman and the X-Men isn't it?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002

Human sized teaser (props to TrandoJedi for making me aware of this)

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, that's the teaser FOR THE TEASER...

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Not even a tantalizing glimpse of hot ant-on-yellowjacket action?

24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm fine with more shots of Evangeline Lilly (Wasp plz).

25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The fact that the likely MCU Wasp won't be Janet still bugs me.(No pun intended)

Then again didn't the writers say Scott's daughter would be a hero before Wasp ever shows up?