main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kids books?!?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediStryker, Sep 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    I was at work today seeing when my pre-ordered SbS was going to be sent out when my friend peeked over my shoulder. He laughed, and asked me why I was still reading kids books. I immdiately went into my typical defensive tyrade, and he laughed his way back to his desk.
    Now, as I read through the posts today, I notice that it seems like a majority of the people here are still school-age. I am not that old (twenty) but I know I am not the oldest to read this stuff. Right?

2. Danamel99

Danamel99 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    I've been reading Star Wars sinse...well ANH was actually my first book when I was 3. I am 20 as well and I still enjoy each and every Star Wars book. Sometimes when I buy an new book, people behind the counter who are younger than I might I add, give me a kind of smirk if you will. It always irritates me and makes me feel like I have to defend the GFFA, but I know that they are the ones who are really missing out on great stories by thinking that Star Wars is in some way beneath them.

3. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    ah well im only 12 and ive been reading forever! Look how much i know!

4. Domenic

Domenic Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2001
    I'm 13 (last time I checked :)). I have been reading the EU since probably 7 years old.

5. Jaina05

Jaina05 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    Hey I'm 14 and have been reading Star Wars since 4th grade. I was on the bus the other day and was reading Solo Comand. Me and my friends got into a discussion about how nerdy we were and this kid overheard. He then challenged me to a Star Wars triva contest. Boy did I beat him. Then this senior gets on the bus and he gets into the conversation and by the time we get to school everyone else on the bus is staring at us in amazment (probably of how nerdy we are. Our school is full of Jocks). I guess what I'm trying to say is that being high school age and 20 isn't much of an age difference.

6. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Man there always dising star wars where i come from!

7. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    The best thing you could do is don't care about others think about it. They say they're kids books ? Very well, they're kids books if they want to call them so, but you like those 'kids books' and that's all that matters.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I'm 18, and I know plenty of people plenty older than I who read YA novels *coughHarryPottercough*

Anyway, what does it matter. What does it matter what escapist fiction you choose to read?

9. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    The majority of people on the JC are school-age because that's the most common age on the Internet.

10. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    I didn't know SW books in general were considered Kids books. But I think I started reading them when I was 13 or so... I've actually kind of gone backwards, cuz I started reading the adult fiction and now I'm 19 and reading Jedi Apprentice instead... And think of the comments that I get for that ;)

But the target age-group for books is like ratings for movies; it's just a recommended age that one should be to be able to gain a relatively good understanding the book.

Age is irrelevant. Don't let people like that bother you :D

11. GA_Pellaeon

GA_Pellaeon Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2001
    I'm 19 and still read Star Wars. I've read them since about the 6th Grade, and still love 'em. I also read alot of other adult fiction, and Star Wars, in my opinion, is not a kids book. The language in NJO is alot simpler, however the concept is very adult oriented. Zahn himself said he wouldn't write for it cause it was too dark. Anyone who claims they're kiddy books, is making a biased opinion based on the fact that they havn't read them.

My two cents

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    The NJO is not for kids. It would give them nightmares.

13. BoutyPunkrAurra

BoutyPunkrAurra Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 21, 2001
    no understands the true art of sw literature. kids books. peh! i am not a child. i do not read children's books. be proud you are reading these so called "kids books"! this is a true case of star wars...prejudace...yes? YES! prejudace! star wars prejudace. yes. bad, very bad....
    (sorry i misspelled words)

14. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    I would consider them to be young adult, because how many 3rd and 4th graders do you know that read 500-600 page books on a regular basis.

15. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    I started reading SW books back when Splinter of the Mind's Eye came out; that makes me at least ten years older than anyone here! I never thought they were "kids' books". Even though the JA series is meant for 9-12 year-olds, I still go by the book section at my local Wal-Mart and read a few pages. I go anywhere for a good story.

16. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I'm 16, been reading starwars for 4 years or so, and many adults do read SW books. This is validated: many starwars books have won awards and been top sellers on lists across the country. Also, authors for many star wars novels are well established adult authors. People say its a kids book because they simply don't understand SW.

17. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Hey, alot of Star Wars books have more vocab words than the books i read in school. Well, maybe not (darn Shakespeare!), but they still do have a lot of vocab words and don't condescend to the reader.

18. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    In response to an above statement, bestsellers and award-winners don't necessarily go hand in hand. Star Wars is great fun, and I love it, but I don't think that there's a single Wars book yet published which has the literary merit to win any awards, and even if it did just the fact that it's Star Wars would probably repel the rewarders. Yes, millions read SW, but as of now it's just not award-winning materiel. Maybe there'll be an exception with the NJO finale...

19. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Awards for books are often rather subjective. I've read several "award-winning" books that didn't seem very good at all. It's all up to the opinion of the reviewers.

20. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Mid to late twenties here. Depends on where you want to put 26. In a few months, definately late twenties. And we have folks in their thirties reading SW books.

The problem with the idea that Star Wars is for kids seems to be rooted in growing up. Folks tell us as we grow up that it's okay to read this or that depending on our age level. If it's deemed too young for us, then we are told we should not be reading it. Most of the time I hear on this forum that library's put SW books in either the childrens or young adults (aka teenager) sections. That helps to say that these books aren't for adults.

However, what always gets me is where these books are located in the bookstore. Or even stores like Wal-mart where there is a book section. Usually you find them in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section. This is usually an adult section, as well as the section where most kids getting into more adult reading tend to head. And what are some of the other books we find in this section. Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit. The Foundation books. Generally, books we're told are okay for adults to read, even if they might be viewed by some as being a bit young.

More over, if we actually hit the Children/Young Adults section, were likely to find SW books there. But they tend to be Young Jedi Knights, Junior Jedi Knights, Jedi Apprentice, Galaxy of Fear, or the Journal books. Books that are actually suppose to be geared for that age group. Nothing wrong with reading these books as an adult. After all, some colleges do have courses dealing with Winnie the Pooh, and those books are certainly geared more towards kids than anyone else.

Generally, I'd say that the "adult" SW novels are more like novels for every age level. To dismiss them as mere kids books is to say that they are not enjoyable. It is also to discredit the work of all authors within the Sci-fi/Fantasy section. Their not gearing their books strictly to kids. Their gearing them to everyone who would find them enjoyable. And some of the older, more classic Sci-fi/Fantasy authors were gearing their novels to adults when they wrote them orginally.

Next time your friend laughs about you reading a SW novel, ask him what he thinks is an adult novel. Then remind him that he's likely to find kids reading that book as well, making it just as much of a kids book as the SW book you're reading. After all, kids have more adult tastes than folks tend to think they do. And then hound him for reading a kids book.

21. thx1138-the-jedi

thx1138-the-jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2001
    i am only 14, which i know is a child, but i do know a few people in there 40s who read STAR WARS books. I am addicted to jedi apprentice, the only problem being TOO SHORT!!! i am all ways being insulted at school becouse i read STAR WARS, people say that its just a shalow movie and i should get a life which really ammuses me as two minuets after i get insulted they are usually in tears becouse some one has told them there pants were in fashion 2 weeks ago.

i am sorry for any spelling or gramaticle mistakes withinin this post.

22. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Oh how we cried as Thomas looked on helplessly as Harold was crushed by a descending moon.

How we cheered as Tigger blew up the Star of Deathness with all the innocent contract workers on baord.

How we squirmed as Little Miss Senator's legs were cut to pieces by Mr. Tickle.

How we wept as Cedric was killed by Voldemotrt...oh wait.

23. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    The NJO is young adult fiction packaged and advertised as something more mature, especially the YJK Edge of Victory books. It is not a mature look at the horrors of war. It is not a mature look at the difficulties in a relationship. More realistic? Bulldren! :rolleyes (I really miss that icon!)

I resent buying so-called adult books that read like kids books. At least Zahn and Stackpole and Tyers and Hambly wrote on a level that adults could appreciate. Part of the reason why Hambly is so dissed on these forums is because the kids can't appreciate her writing style. Don't get me wrong, her books have some flaws, but not enough to get dissed the way they have been.

Yup, kids these days read 700 pages novels: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

24. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    21, been reading since I was 13.

Actually, it was almost exactly 7 years ago this week that I got HttE.

EDIT: 21 - 13 = 8 :D

25. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    Do goats read???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.