main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kill Bill Vol. 1

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    People will hate me for posting this but I just have to say it. I can't say it enough.
    Kill Bill Vol. 1 is the best film of the year!. Nuff said.

2. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    OK, you can shut up now.... ;)

Doug

3. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Is it really that good? Or are you just a huge Tarantino fan?? I thought the pre-views looked kinda hokey. And you better not tell me it is better than "Reservoir Dogs".

4. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    It is that good. Adam and I almost worshipped the screen at the end of the movie. Sure it is cheesy and trashy but it is also beautiful and infectious.

Watch out for Go Go Yubari. She is scary!

5. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    He's a HUGE Tarantino fan...don't let him fool you. He's been excited about this film for MONTHS just because it was the new Tarantino film. It's probably a terrible film and he's just saying it's that good.... ;)

Instead of "Kill Bill" you should wait for "Hurt Bert" from Paul Tarantino.... ?[face_plain]

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0373914/

6. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Dang. I need more witnesses to testify of its greatness!

7. JarJarGetsaBadRap

JarJarGetsaBadRap Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 4, 2003
    Calling anything "Film of the year" before LOTR: Return of the King is dangerous. But this movie is pretty good.

8. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    It's niot just a Tarantion flick. It's a Tarantino SAMURAI flick.

I'll admit it. I like Tarantino, too. He creates some to the most memorable characters and writes better dialouge than anyone in the business. I didn't think he could put together such a tremendous action flick. The House of Blue Leave fight sequece make the Burly Brawl in Matrix Reloaded look like a grade school playground touch football game. The anime sequence was really inventive and I don't even like anime. The story wasn't told in a straight A-B-C chronology, making even more interesting, because you had to pay attention. Not as great as Pulp Fiction, but I'd probably put it on the same level as Reservoir Dogs.

P.S. Calling Return of the King the best film of the year without having seen it just because it's a LOTR flick isn't too bright, either.

P.P.S. Anyone thinking of seeing School of Rock who hasn't done so...FRICKIN' GO!!! It's fun, funny, even a little heart-warming. Jack Black is more fun to watch is this movie, than any other actor in any other movie this year. I loved it and there weren't even any explosions.

9. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I probably should have said best film so far this year. It will be tough to beat this though. I think alot of background on the characters is being saved for Kill Bill Vol. 2, so we don't know much about them but I was still able to root for the Bride and Tarantino was able to build all sorts of tension and anticipation before the fight sequences. The Bride's adversaries were so smug and confident it made their defeat all the more satifying. I loved how the bride went from comatose victim to a furious unstoppable engine of revenge. Very cool stuff.

I'm looking forward to ROTK but I'm probably more psyched for Matrix Revolutions. As good as the LOTR movies are I've been more into scifi than medieval stuff. but that's just me.

10. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    I don't want to stir the hornet's nest, but why is it that whenever anyone starts talking about a movie they think is cool, LOTR has to be brought into the discussion?

Personally, I have little or no desire to see "Kill Bill" or "Return of the King". But stating that a movie will be "The Best" of the year or even of all time, before it has been released, is pretty lame.

Anyway, isn't this a lame point to argue? Everyone has a different opinion on what makes a good movie. And you will never change one's opinion. Trying to convince me, for example, that any LOTR film is better than "The Empire Strikes Back" is pointless...I won't listen. Just as a huge LOTR fan won't listen that TESB is better than LOTR....it's pointless.

Besides, NO movie will ever be better than "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo"
    EVER! And anyone who thinks otherwise is an uncultured swine.

11. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Mostly, I started the thread to be kind of squrrelly. As much as I love it, I know tons of people I would tell not to see Kill Bill, just because they either couldn't handle or wouldn't enjoy seeing the extreme violence in the film. While some of it is cartoonish some even made me squirm in my seat.
    And while it is common for arguments to start when the LOTR trilogy gets mentioned, its hard to know what to say when the conclusion of the Breakin saga gets brought up :) But I do have to ask how do the Breakin films stand up to the classic, Pee Wee's Big Adventure!

P.S. The other night I was wathcing my Matrix Reloaded DVD. Those two semis crashing into each other is a beautiful site.

12. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    I didn't want to start a big spat, I'm just a little tired of whole "LOTR is the greatest" thing. It's like when you're having a discussion about rock guitarists, there's always that guy who's like "Jimmy Page is the best ever." Also, I think it's stupid to rave about any film before you've seen it, no matter what it is. And I just wanted to gush a bit about Kill Bill, although Erik's right. It's not for everybody.

13. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    As excited as I am to see Revolutions and ROTK, the wait for Kill Bill Vol. 2 is really killing me. It was almost cruel to end the movie with Bill's shocking revelation and make us wait until Feb.

I think the club on this side of the state doesn't have the love for LOTR as much as the club on the other side of the state. There are some pretty big fans over here though, but some have had some nasty run ins with some hardcore LOTR fans.

Did anyone see that episode of Home Movies where Coach McGuirk said the medieval guys and sci-fi have been fighting each oher for centuries. It's true, well maybe not for that long though.

14. cmdrwillard

cmdrwillard Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Some of us are not huge LOTR fans either. Its a good trilogy, but the world won't end when its over either. As for this movie, I saw it this afternoon and it was incredible. I am not a big fan of his other films, but this one was just a good, fun, highly entertaining movie. And yes waiting until vol. 2 is going to be a pain. But I just wanted to let you know that not everyone on this side of the state is a die hard LOTR fan.

15. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    I just need to add my 2 cents worth. You guys are very funny to read, thanks for the early morning entertainment. I am glad to see Adam posting again, I kinda thought he fell off the face of the earth. I am also glad to hear that "School Rocks" is a good movie. I am taking my 13 year old step brother to see it this weekend.

All I can add is that everyone enjoys different movies, and everyone thinks their favorite movie is best movie of the year. That, my friends, is what makes the big movie producers big bucks.

I wouldn't mind watching Kill Bill, maybe when it goes to the cheap theater I will. Q's movies are pretty cool, and not for everyone, but I will see it someday. I won't even get started on LOTR. Just deal with the fact that we all like something different, thank god, or we would all be very boring.

Have a good day, and be nice to eachother.

Erin

16. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Hey, I'm more excited for Bubba-Ho Tep the ROTK. I mean BRUCE CAMPBELL AS ELVIS!!!!!! You can't get much cooler than that.

17. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Dude! I saw a preview for that. I wish it would play around here!

18. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    This week is officially Kill Bill week! Yee Haw!

19. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    I also am not a huge fan of his films, but I just saw this one and it was great. Highly entertaining and worth it all the way. I look forward to Vol II, but I also look forward to The Punisher.

20. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I'm looking forward to the Punisher too, It looks alot more true to the comics than the Dolph Lundgren version. I guess I started seeing Kill Bill ads all last night on TV and started getting stoked. This will be a fun week. The DVD Tuesday, Friday night I'm going to Kill Bill, than Saturday matinee with the Punisher.

21. QUIGONJINN02

QUIGONJINN02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2003
    Yeah, since I work at Blockbuster I got to rent Kill Bill out early, one of my jobs only perks. Anyway, great film and I look forward to II and the Punisher.
    By the way...anything is better than Dolph's version!

22. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    I can't wait for Friday. To be honest, one of the reasons I was so impressed w/Kill Bill 1 is because I wasn't really sure he could pull it off. Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are all great flicks, but theres not really anything in any of them that suggests Tarantino could put together the rockin' action sequences he did. I know KB2 is more of a "love story", but I'm excited to see Bill get whacked all the same.

As far as Punisher goes, I'll see it, but I'm not real big into the comics, so I'm not rabid to see it. But who knows. Maybe this one'll surprise me, too.

23. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Two more days!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.