main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Kill Bill Volume I and II Discussion

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jedi_Commander_Faofa, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    I just saw Vol. I yesterday, and I have to say that the movie ROCKED!! The choreographed fights, although a tad bit fake ;) were awesome! That really made me interested in learning more about the samurai and katanas. I'm usually about European sword styles..

The effects were great, albeit exaggerative, but that's how the movie was made. Quentin made a terrific movie, and I can't wait to see Vol. II.

I can't really say that much about the movie though for fear of spoiling it. Unless you are all cool about spoilers, I don't want to say alot.

For those of faint of heart, this movie ISN'T for you.

But yeah, I thought it was awesome, funny (yeah, I have a weird sense of humor when I see arms hacked off and blood starts spraying out like a sprinkler or fountain, I start laughing because I know it's so fake. That, and I swordfight so much I guess it just gets into you, that weird humor. ;) ), and creative. Much better than I thought it was going to be. They even put anime into it! And they made that WORK!!

Can't wait to see Vol. II next weekend. :D

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I haven't seen them yet. Randy rented V1, but he said I might have problems with it. I still might rent it to see. Pulp Fiction was pretty funny and I hear this is similar.

3. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    i wanna see both those movies. they do look awesome

dajuan: pulp fiction was a weird movie. i had to watch it a couple of times to understand it fully

4. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    See them, they rock!

Saw Vol 2 fri when it opened. It answers so many questions.. And it has some sweet action. You do still need a weird sense of humor to get thtough it, but eh, that's Tarentino for you. It also has considerably more character developement. And you finally find out the Bride's name.

5. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    Well, I saw Volume 1 a few days ago for the first time. Then after I finished sober driving at 3 in the morning, one of my friends convinced me to go back to her apartment to watch it again with her and her roommate. And let me tell you, when it's really windy out and two hot girls want you to walk somewhere with them, you don't say no. [face_mischief]

Interesting movie. Really don't know what think of it yet. I'll have to see it at least one more time to make a good judgement. Cool soundtrack though.

I'll probably wait until Volume 2 is out on video to see it. I hear Sam Jackson's in it.

6. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    Aye, Sam Jackson has a cameo. Tis funny. :)

7. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I am seeing Vol. II Friday I believe. Can't wait! DON'T TELL WHAT THE BRIDE'S NAME IS!!! ;)

8. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I loved Pulp Fiction

9. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i loved pulp fiction also, but it didnt come close to kill bill, either volume. both are so different yet so amazing in different ways. i've seen 1 about a million times since it came out last week, the only thing keeping me fromdoing the same with 2 is that im broke.

by the way, dajuan directed me here since i cant find anyone else that has seent them :D

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    My weekend homework is to rent this movie. I hate missing out on stuff. Shoot maybe I'll rent it tonight, it's not Friends night after all.

EDIT: I rented it. Finally I will have something to add to the convo.

11. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Come on Dajuan. Not knowing anything about the current topic never stopped you from posting stuff on a thread before. :D

12. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Sure it does. I don't speak as much about stuff I don't know. I figure it's my duty to read all the posts here and add my brilliant commentary. Nonetheless, I had to see it.

And now that I have...
    I thought it was pretty good if a little bloody. The spraying blood might have been a bit much. I was so glad that there were not Matrix style slow-mo scenes in it. I was not suprised at what they said at then end. I won't say it for fear of ruining it. Lets just saw I saw it coming. Overall a good movie.

Guess I know my Saturday plans now.

13. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    the thing about the squirting blood is that tarantino wanted it to be an over the top homage to old kung fu movies. so it wasnt meant to be taken seriously. it was still pretty cool though

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Ahhh, I did not know that, makes more sense now.

15. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    yesterday i was trying to find those onitsuka tigers the bride wears in chapter 5. those things are like the rarest shoes in the world. not one store in indiana sells them, and there was a pair on ebay for $222 with time left. this sucks. now i dont think i'll ever be able to get them :(

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Give it time, I'm sure when the popularity of them rises there will be knockoffs everywhere.

I have a date to see II on Saturday. Can't wait to find out the Bride's name. I speculate that it starts with a "D", but I have no real idea. For those who haven't seen it, what do you think it is?

Don't ruin it for us who haven't seen it yet. Just the guessing game at this point.

17. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    please dont say anything about anyof the movies that would spoil, because i still havent seen either

18. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    then what can we talk about?

19. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    if you don't want anything to get spoiled, don't read this thread.

volume I has been out for months now. that's like the guy in my house that got pissed last week because we were talking about Matrix Revolutions. it's been out long enough that you can't get mad at people for talking about it especially when you don't have to read it

20. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    How's this, we'll agree not to talk about II for a couple weeks, but we'll discuss I to our hearts content. QGB is right, if you haven't seen it don't come.

Did anyone else notice the homage to Hitchcok (sp?). Everytime it went to black and white for the bloody scenes, I kept thinking of how and why he did Psycho like that. Awesome!!

21. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    unfortunately i didnt notice many of the homages due to the fact that im so young and havent seen all those old people movies ;) but he talks about alot of his influences (including lucas) in the making of documentary on the dvd.

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Hey, I'm not ancient here. One summer a long time ago I went on a classic movie watching spree. I caught tons of the classics, including Hitchcock.

Another fun project which a friend of mine did was to get the top 100 list and watch all of those. You'd be amazed how similar movies can be and you start to see influences.

OOO future meeting project watch the movies that influenced Lucas.

23. zuckuss1138

Oct 26, 2001
    i've only seen a couple hitchcock movies, they were pretty good if i recall corectly. not nearly as good as kill bill though

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    They are incomparable. Hitchcock was a genius. QT is great, but you can't compare the movies. They're just too different.

25. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    OK, no talk about Vol. II, agreed. Until we all see it of course.. ;)

Well, the whole black and white fight scene (which was just pure bliss imo, I loved that scene! :D Camera angles were great.) was what they call Spaghetti Western film style or something like that.

Yeah, I saw that QT said stuff about Lucas in the DVD. That was pretty cool.

So can we talk about the duels, right? Cool.

I think the best duel in the movie was between the Bride and Go-Go (whatever her name is) with the ball-and-chain. That was an awesome fight. Eye-candy. The best choreographed fight was the last one, the samurai duel. Very climatic. I loved every min. of it. Nice ending too. You all should know what I'm talking about... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.