main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Killing Count Dooku - a question

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ceridwen1977, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    Profuse apologies if this has already been commented on but I cannot find out where....

Yoda tells Obi-wan that he MUST kill Anakin because he has turned to the Sith and has massacred the Jedi

Yoda and Obi-wan tell Luke that he MUST kill Darth Vader because it is his destiny etc

However how come Yoda gets away with not having to kill Count Dooku? Surely if he is his former pupil then it is up to Yoda to 'avenge' his turn to the Sith and all the Jedi that were massacred on Genosis? I know he had a good go in AOTC but nowhere in ROTS does he express any need or motivation to meet with Dooku and carry this out. Why does Yoda not feel the same pressure to kill Dooku as he puts onto everyone else???

Or maybe I have confused 'engage in a fight with' for 'kill' but I assume that the general intention is to destroy the Sith

SORRY this is the wrong forum I realise that now, apologies again for my idiocy!!

2. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    It's against the Jedi Code to kill unnecessarily, the Jedi try to disarm their opponent (often literally by cutting their arm off, not a big deal in a society where mechanical replacements are reliable and readily available) rather than killing them outright, except as a last resort. Luke and Obi-wan are only asked to confront Anakin/Vader, not kill him.

It's been a while since I saw AOTC, so I can't remember how the first duel with Dooku went, but Anakin was clearly shattered after he killed Dooku, he felt it was wrong.

3. ceridwen1977

ceridwen1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2005
    I see, I think I was confused over the meaning of confront. I guess if a Jedi is on the defence, the opponent (usually Sith) is likely to attack them and they must defend themselves against them. And they therefore can be magnaminous in victory and spare their life if they have the chance. As Han might say "It was my mistake!"

4. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    if Dooku had still been engaged in combat, or could otherwise defend himself, Anakin would have been conscience free. But, Anakin had cut off both of Dooku's hands, and held Dooku's lightsaber. Dooku was defenseless against him, that is what made it bad for Anakin to do.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    ceridwen1977, I agree. Although, I think the movies agree with you too. That is, the general intetion was to destroy the Sith. Most importantly, though, rent the AOTC DVD and watch the Yoda/Dooku fight frame by frame. There are a number of times Yoda is swinging at Dooku's head--he was trying to kill him. Just because he ultimately didn't get the chance to doesn't mean he that wasn't his goal.

6. Seperatist

Seperatist Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2005
    Yes, if Yoda got a clear shot at Dooku he would most likely have killed him however the Count stood well against the Jedi Master and finally got the chance to escape.

-S-

7. Number20

Number20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    I think that there is a major difference between what Anakin did to Dooku and the other fights. Anakin had Dooku beaten and defenseless. Killing an armed opponent in battle, for example, the Obi-Wan/Maul fight, would be ok. But Dooku was just executed by Anakin, not ok. Throw into the mix that Palpatine and Dooku both had Anakin very angry at the time. The others were calm, at least didn't give in to anger and hate like Anakin had in that fight. So, executing a defenseless prisoner in anger: Really bad.

8. AaronKenobi

AaronKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    Obiwan did not just go off and decide to kill anakin he went to confront him and try to bring him back. He Just wasn't capable to bring him back so he had to fight him. Only four people could have had a chance to turn anakin back, Shmi, who was already dead, padme whom anakin had just nearly killed, Luke, and Leia(who weren't even born yet). Luke did what Obiwan tried and failed to do(ROTJ, Vader-" Obiwan once thought as you did"

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    In Attack of the Clones Yoda tried to defeat Dooku, but he was forced to abandon his duty to save Obi-Wan and Anakin's lives. In Revenge of the Sith Dooku dies before we see Yoda for the first time, so that's not even an issue that can be discussed.

As for between those two movies, I think its an issue of Yoda not knowing where Dooku was. He had no way of finding him and defeating him directly since Dooku was off leading the Seperatists all over the galaxy, whereas Obi-Wan was able to find out Anakin's location rather quickly from Padme.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.