main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Kind, but sad." What did Luke and Leia inherit from their mother?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Latorski, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Leia is interested in politics, helping others and is attracted to a rogue.

Luke seems to have inherited her temperment.

Any other ideas?

2. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Judging by Padme in AOTC, I would say that Leia inherited her temperment ALOT more than Luke...

3. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    maybe padme gave one of em the japor snippit.

now, theres drama that natalie wouldnt have to fake

4. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Seems to me that Leia is more like Anakin and Luke is more like Padme.

5. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I (sort of) agree. But they each have traits of both parents. Leia has Anakin's hot temper and smart mouth. Luke is more earnest and naive, like his mother. Luke also has the melancholy personality that Padme does. The whining he got from Anakin, though. Leia seems to have Padme's bossy attitude. Some people think that Padme is somehow and "enabler" because she tries to console Anakin after the Tuskin slaughter, but they forget that Luke felt the good in Vader even after he had killed Biggs and Ben, tortured Han and Leia and stood by while Tarkin destroyed Alderann. So both mother and son are forgiving. I don't really know that personality traits are exactly inherited, though. But they seem to be.

6. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    Leia seemed to have gotten Padme's leadership skills while Luke got faith in his friends (his only weakness). But both seemed to inherert skills at 'aggresive negotiations'.

Edit: General Corrections

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Luke inherited Vader's combat skills, or at least walked the path of a warrior, while Leia walked the path of her mother. A politician turned soldier and at least Leia is a better shot than her mother. Leia also inherited her mother's looks, Portman and Fisher do bear some resemblences.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Luke is more earnest and naive, like his mother

I'd say Anakin was pretty naive as well...Padme's idealistic, no doubts there, but not quite at the same level of 'wish fulfillment' that Anakin's at.

9. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

I agree: Luke is naïve like his mother, and Leia has an indomitable spirit, just like Anakin. However, Luke has Anakin's fighting skills, and Leia has the sense of responsibility of Padme.

10. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I think Leia and Luke both inherited her idealism and compassion (though I think Luke had more compassion...I don't see Leia laying all on the line to save her father). Obviously Leia inherited her leadership abilities, and both inherited the total disregard for self-preservation.

I do think that Leia and Anakin have a great deal in common as well--particularly the hot temper. Truly, that relationship is far more compelling than the Luke/Anakin relationship to me. (There's a lot more baggage there).

I think Padmé's biggest traits are her need to fix everything and her need to be a caretaker. I see the former in Leia and the latter in Luke.

I think Padmé is very underrated as a character.

11. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    "Oh we understand, he had no choice."

[image=http://upx.primenova.com/swc/sw5-chew_lando.jpg]

Gee, for a former Senator and diplomat (like Mommy), she's pretty malicious here(like Daddy). Dontcha love moments like that?

12. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I think Leia is a chip off the old block
    and I think Luke inherited Padme's strength, goodness, compassion, and resiliance

13. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Leia inherits her mother's taste for wacky hairstyles.

Luke inherits his father's nine-year-old taste for bad hairstyles.

Case closed.

14. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    When Luke's father was nine, he didn't have a lot of say in his hairstyle. He was a slave and all his decisions were made for him.

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    including the decsions of the hair?
    so if watto wanted anakin to have a mohawk he wouldn't have a choice?

16. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Come on, guys. It was a joke. A joke. Humourous.

17. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    actually, it was Obi-Wan that was supposed to have the mohawk in early designs for TPM
    Greedo has a pretty cool one too ;)

18. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    I think that GL must be doing a good job that everyone can see these traites between Anakin, Padme, Leia and Luke.

19. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Neither of them inherited Padme's habit of changing clothes for every scene. :p

20. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    Luke inherited mommy's ability to survive long falls without breaking his spine (Padme on Geonosis, Luke on Hoth). :p

21. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Um, Luke and Leia inheretited genetic traits. Hair color, eye color, bone structure, height, metoblism and so on.

Any ideals or personality traits are a mere conicidence. Those things are not passed on genetically. They are learned. Since Luke didn't grow up w/his parents he wouldn't have learned any of their personality traits. Same with Leia.

22. JawaChef

JawaChef Jedi Master star 3

Feb 13, 2001
    Anakin and Luke both whine. When Anakin was fixing stuff in the garage while Padme was trying to console him after the tusken slaughter, he reminded me of Luke whining to Owen and Beru, it's just not faaaaair!

23. BaronFel88

Jan 25, 2004
    [face_laugh]

[image=http://www.4-inches.de/inhalt/review/2001/figures/leiabespinescape/profil/leiaescape.jpg]

[image=http://www.padmeswardrobe.com/images/episodeII/padme/jumpsuit/IIJS08.jpg]

E-V's point is very good. I love the parallels in these two pictures (and Leia did kick more butt than her mom).

24. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    Luke got her whiney voice...Leia got her boobies...

25. jollydwarf

jollydwarf Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Luke got just enough of Padme's moral fiber to resist succumbing to the Dark Side, while Leia has the perfect amount of 'feistiness' that she probably inherited more from Anakin. That is, the 'enthusiasm' Anakin displayed when he was still more-or-less considered 'chaotic good'. In both cases, I think traits crossed genders, which is a good thing.

Having said that, I've got to say that be it Leia Organa or Marion Ravenwood, I find the women with more 'moxie' to be a bigger turn-on. Carrie Fisher in her prime may not be considered ***quite*** as 'classically' beautiful as Natalie Portman, but we're splitting 'cinnamon-bun' hairs here. A little tomboyishness goes a long way. And no, that doesn't conversely mean that I associate Padme with Willie Scott!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.