JCC Kindle vs. Nook (vs. Other?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    This may be off topic but Zap, I would like your thoughts on Qui Dawn's posts in this thread. Please read all the ones on the page linked and let me know your analysis.

http://boards.theforce.net/your_jedi_council_community/b10008/3644199/p245
  2. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    What SLG insinuated. Be less stream of consciousness in your typing and distill your posts to the essentials of what you want to get across. Rambling is not good. :p
  3. Autonomous Jedi Youngling

star 1
    How well does a regular Kindle handle pdfs? I'm tempted to buy a Fire because I need to read a lot of academic papers that I download from online databases. With the Fire I'm assuming I could access the databases and download a pdf that would be correctly formatted and in color. I've heard that those type of documents don't format quite as well with the e-ink, and wouldn't I have to transfer them to the Kindle somehow rather than a direct download?

I think the Kindle Fire fits a different niche than a standard Kindle, rather than replaces it. I know there are people who have and use both.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Well, the Fire is a tablet--so yeah, it's quite different from the regular Kindle.

Kindle pdf support is... sketchy, as of the previous (pre-touch) version. I tend to convert .pdfs to .mobi files so that they properly scale, because zooming and scrolling on the keypad version of the kindle was a disaster. Since the pdfs reproduce documents exactly, there's not much you can do with them on any format without scrolling and zooming.
  5. Valyn Jedi Master

star 8
    Pdfs on the nook color is the same nightmare of zooming and formatting hiccups.
  6. MrZAP Jedi Master

star 5
    I thought I was.:p

I mean, sometimes I do ramble, but I never say anything that doesn't have to be said. Just because there's a lot of it doesn't mean that it isn't all essential.

And I'll get to reading that link in a bit. I'm a bit busy and only stopped back to check the survival battle. I shouldn't even be looking in this thread.
  7. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Interesting thread. I'd been seriously considering purchasing a Kindle Fire as a tablet first and e-reader last (android app after all). Seemed like a good deal at $199 running diet honeycomb, the 'silk' browser supports flash, android app support, and lastly the 7 inch screen size is much more portable. The hardware even is technically the same as the Blackberry Playbook 16GB which btw is going on fire sale for $199 if anyone is interested, much like the blow out the HP Touchpad went through. But I've decided against the Fire do to more limited app support, issues I've read with sluggishness, and because I don't want to be tied the the Amazon ecosystem anymore than I want to be tied to iTunes/iCloud. So the hunt continues for a good 7-8 inch tablet. Currently looking at the Lenovo A1, upcoming Toshiba Thrive 7 inch, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus.

Here is an ok comparison review of the Nook Color and the Kindle Fire if anyone is interested. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/amazon-kindle-fire-vs-b-n-nook-tablet-is-there-a-clear-winner-review/5255
  8. Autonomous Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Yeah, I think I need a tablet rather than solely an e-reader. Those problems worry me.

Seerow, thanks for mentioning the Lenovo A1. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad and really like it for the most part. That's definitely something I'll look into. It seems comparable in size and weight to the Fire, and has twice the memory. Might be the same price too if I buy it tomorrow.
  9. Valyn Jedi Master

star 8
    Word is that the Kindle Fire uses an Internet browser that can rival the iPad's, whereas the Nook Tablet probably just uses a slightly upgraded version of the Nook Color's clunky, sluggish browser.

Really, I love my Nook Color, but is kind of disappointing to use as a tablet/computer substitute. The browser is sluggish, the PDF support leaves much to be desired, apps that are usually free on the Android market must be paid for to use on the Nook.

Admittedly, I hardly use the Color for anything but reading these days ever since I got my Galaxy S smart phone. The Galaxy's stock browser is good enough, but you can also add Firefox and Dolphin for free, and the "swype" typing feature is a Godsend. So much easier typing using "swype" than having to tap each individual touch-key on the sluggish Nook.

10. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Cool, I'm a devout believer in the Thinkpads which has me really leaning toward the A1 granted its from the Ideapad family. Its my current front runner. The Samsung 7 seems nice as well but more expensive. I played the the 10 inch version of the Toshiba Thrive and its so ridiculously thick and feels a little more sluggish. We'll see.

The Kindle Fire does have a nice webbrowser. I've read before the 'Silk' browser in it is base on Opera/Opera mini's presto engine which like in opera mini allows for remote rendering which is kinda a halfassed way to support flash unlike the actual NetFront browser used in Gingerbread and Honeycomb or Safari in i0S. For webbrowsing I think I'd rather Have full on Android.
  11. Valyn Jedi Master

star 8
    Was really thinking about Kindle Fire as a gift to my fiancee, but I really like the fact that you can get free in-store Nook support at any Barnes and Noble location. Thus, I went with the Nook Tablet. I hope she likes it. She told me she doesn't want an iPad, but I really think she might find interest in portable Netflix HD streaming and she can switch all of her magazine subscriptions over...which means less house clutter for me to clean up after :D
  12. mrsvos Jedi Master

star 5
    Smart man.
    I helped a geriatric customer this week figure out her payment plan this week and she was all 'I should have got a kindle' and I was all ' Yeah and you'd be on the phone with India now'.
  13. Valyn Jedi Master

star 8
    Payment plan? Barnes and Noble offer a payment plan for a Nook purchase?
  14. Darth Morella Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sooooo... I did get a Kindle Fire for my birthday, which is awesome even though I was already considering the e-ink version. It looks really cool and I tried downloading a PDF in it: that worked well and it's neat to be able to look at color figures and zoom in and put easily. As for the ebooks, it's alright but I haven't tried it with daylight. I like the idea of being able to stream Nettlix movies and browse the web and access my cloud music library without having to turn on the computer.

I kinda feel like I'm cheating on my iPhone (Don't worry dear, I still love you).
  15. mrsvos Jedi Master

star 5
    She had a bunch of gift cards she was trying to put on her bn.com account
  16. Valyn Jedi Master

star 8
    Just had my nook read bedtime stories to my baby :p
  17. Valyn Jedi Master

star 8
    I just downloaded the ezpdf reader app to my nook color. It makes reading pdfs so incredibly better! Totally worth the money.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Just call it polyamory. There have been enough advocates for it on these boards. :p

Let me know how the reading works under daylight: that's where the e-ink really shines, in my view (no pun intended).
  19. Darth Morella Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm going to venture a wild guess and say it will probably be like reading on an iPhone during daylight :p

It may not be much of an issue for me, I used to read a lot but nowadays I rarely have the time to do so, and when I do it's mostly at night. I'll survive. Anyway, I'll test this daylight reading thing and give you my opinion later.
  20. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    So, is there a consensus now that the stand-alone eBook reader is dead? That everyone is now going to go head-to-head with Apple in the tablet market? Amazon is the only company that has a shot of gaining significant tablet share from Apple. The old Kindle was a nearly perfect book-reading device. I hate to see them give away that edge.

Amazon can potentially outcompete Apple as a content provider.

Nook, no matter how good the product, does not have the leverage to become a content provider on the scale of Apple or Amazon. If I had to guess, the Nook will kill Barnes & Noble, unless they abandon the tablet war and try to milk some kind of niche status as an inexpensive stand-alone ebook reader for value buyers.

Sony's tablet will fail. I think all the other Android tablets will fail, nor will Microsoft ever make it in that market. Google and Microsoft lack the focus to really succeed in this market. People want the content-device pairing that only Amazon and Apple can provide. I think Kindle and iPad will dominate the market for another decade, with Kindle gradually gaining on the iPad. Apple's advantage is its cash stockpile and R&D muscle and the ability to link all their devices up, including eventually an iCloud-ready iTV.
  21. Everton Force Ghost

star 10
    Since getting my Kindle, I have convinced two colleagues to get their own. :)
  22. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Jabba, do you professionally make premature incorrect judgments? :p

The standalone e-reader won't die because it's smaller than a tablet, and the whole point is that it doesn't have an LCD screen. Did the iPod kill television? No, because they're completely different things.
  23. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Digital ink is an advantage an e-reader has over a tablet. Reading on an iPad can be straining on the eyes same as reading from a computer screen, reading from a Kindle is like reading a real book.

Android won't fail, it may not have the immense Apple apple marketing power behind it and so doesn't get as much notice or customer attention (I put some of that down to the sales people) but enough people will buy the products to keep them going (especially if they can outperform an iPad which some of them can).

Not sure how well Microsoft will do in all of this, I guess it depends how goodand how popular Metro proves to be.
  24. AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master

star 6
    Wow, I totally disagree with you. When I went into the market for an e-reader and purchased a kobo I did it specifically because I wanted a device that could handle the content that I wanted to put onto it in the formats I wanted to put them on, and not have to go through the Amazon or B&N store to do so. I also know people who have bought non-iPad tablets on the same reasoning - they don't want to be chained to one specific provider that limits your options, file formats, and forces you to purchase your content at their rates and their discretion.
  25. wannasee Jedi Master

star 4
    Whenever you make an intelligent informed decision you are in the minority.