JCC Kindle vs. Nook (vs. Other?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Valyn, Feb 12, 2011.

1. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Er, you can put any book onto a kindle without going through the amazon store. You don't even have to convert it to the .mobi format if you don't want to--it can read pdfs just fine, although the whole point of a .pdf is to reproduce a piece of paper, which doesn't work well with a screen with adjustable font sizes and the like. Use of the .mobi format is for ease.

No, Kindle doesn't support .epub, but why would it? You can convert any non-proprietary .epub with the same ease as a .pdf: it took me a matter of minutes to do that to my 80ish .epub collection, and then I just plug in my kindle and drag 'n' drop them right in. No need to go through Amazon at all.

And the Kindle now supports syncing of custom .mobi files anyway, so my bookmarks, notes, and progress are the same across my kindle, computers, and phone because they all have kindle apps on them. Why on earth wouldn't I want that? :p That's what you get through kindle: the content and the distributed medium. Apple, Android, and Windows Phone offer similar syncing potential (of documents, videos, and pictures) with their tablets: I haven't heard of anything similar with the kobo.

Amazon doesn't set the prices; publishers do. Perhaps it's easier to steal on another e-reader (doubtful), but that's something else. I don't see how any of your complaints accurately represent what's going on.

I remember when ebooks came in a dozen different formats, with a dozen different proprietary readers, and my ebook collection was a complete mess. I'm happy to have a one stop shop. My only annoyance is having to pay for books I physically own already, but there's no way out of that.
  2. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    My comments represent what was going on when I started shopping around about a year ago - pdf support was brand new for the Kindle then and could only be done by emailing them via whispernet, also most libraries were lending only in .epub format (which couldn't be converted). I understand that libraries are beginning to lend in .mobi, but that's a very recent development. And besides, I'm responding to Jabba's claim that people want content pairing - which is inherently restrictive.

As for books I physically own, I "pirate" those. My omnibus copies of LOTR and Narnia and Hitchhiker's Guide are nice, but I don't feel any qualms about downloading e-copies of them so that I can actually read them somewhere comfortable.

They still do, you just apparently picked one and stuck to it, that's not representative of any external change.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    No. I had to shop around to get the ones I wanted because different books came in different proprietary formats, sometimes even from the same seller. It was insanely stupid.
  4. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    My point was that there should definitely be a niche for the dedicated eReader, but that a lot of manufacturers are going to fail in the tablet market and should stick to making generic eReaders so that the coming tablet war between Amazon and Apple doesn't bankrupt them.

In Chicago there's a huge market for eReaders for people who don't want to have an actual iPad stolen on the "L". Having an old Nook nabbed is not such a big deal.
  5. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    ^There is nothing definite about it but the electronics market always favors versatile devices that handle everything as well as being simple, small and thin. I think stand alone e-readers will probably go the way of mp3 players and even point-n-shoot digital cameras. There are still lots of products in those markets but smartphones took away the major market share.

That app is available for Android. I actually use it on my pathetic little Pantech Crossover with good success. I imagine it would be much better on any 7 inch tablet.
  6. Darth Morella Force Ghost

star 6
    Update: I got the chance to read a book in my Kindle Fire over the holidays. I didn't go out to sit in a park to read, instead I sat by the window during daytime and, as with any polished surface, light reflection from other sources becomes a problem. You have to find the right angle to read it and that is kind of annoying. When reading indoors, decreasing the screen brightness helps and I found out that it's easier on my eyes to turn the brightness all the way down -it doesn't get too dark.

I also tried to read in the car (while on the passenger seat, of course), and since it was daytime, I had to increase the screen brightness to be able to see it.

That's my experience with it so far. And btw, I am now reading The Hunger Games :p
  7. AaylaSecurOWNED Force Ghost

star 6
    So, Team Peeta or Team Gale? (Or my team: Team Cinna?)
  8. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  9. Darth Morella Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm just done with the first chapter so I don't know much about either Peeta or Gale :p
  10. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Buy an antiglare film for it.
    Also, don't waste your time on those books. Part one and two are great. But they lose me in the third book when the kill off katniss half way through it.
  11. Darth Morella Force Ghost

star 6
    I waste my time in whatever I damn well please :p
  12. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Team Peeta. But Cinna is awesome.

And now this thread has spoiled the third book for me. :( I've only read the first one.
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    So here's something about the Kindle (or other e-readers, for all I know). I was talking to somebody about The Hunger Games today, and said that I'm reading the second book right now. He asked me how far in I was. I responded "Oh, not far. 15%". This is what I've noticed. Since I bought my Kindle I've read every new book on it, and judge my progress through each by percentages instead of chapters or rough fractions. Such unnecessary accuracy. :p
  14. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Fulton Bank and banks associated with it are doing a promotion that you get a Free Kindle Fire once you open an account and meet certain criteria. So, with that said, I plan on getting a Kindle Fire in the not to distance future.

Any Kindle Fire owners use comiXology? Any other tablet owners us it? Comments? Positives? Negatives?
  15. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I like the percentages. "Halfway through the book" is a lot more obvious on a Kindle. :p
  16. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I do like the percentages. It's just odd to know so precisely how far you are through a book.
  17. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    I feel like that would take me out of it a bit/give me reading performance anxiety.