main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends King of Pain (Zekk end of LotF songfic speculation) - Replies 2/11/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Solo_and_Fel, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    Title: King of Pain
    Author(s): Solo_and_Fel
    Timeframe: end of the LOTF era
    Characters: Zekk, Jaina Solo, Jagged Fel
    Genre: Drama/Song fic
    Summary: A speculation of where Zekk is at the end of the LotF era set to The Police's King of Pain.

Disclaimer: Lucasfilm owns Star Wars and I don?t. I also don't own The Police or any of their music or lyrics. There's no intended infringement or profit-making here.

Notes: I did cut out a chunk of the lyrics. I didn't think whales really fit into this story. Forgive me. :p

[color=darkred][b][i]King of Pain[/b][/i][/color]

[i][b]There's a little black spot on the sun today
    It's the same old thing as yesterday[/i][/b]

Zekk stood there, a tall lanky shadow at the edge of the forest. His gaze lingered on the small craft as it disappeared out through the atmosphere. Suddenly he squinted, as the bright sun now shown right into his eyes. Casting his head down, he blinked several times until his vision returned to normal. Clouds were rolling in when he looked back up at the sky. The gentle breeze picked up speed and the black rag he used to polish his lightsaber whipped out of the tentative spot where he'd tucked it in his belt. He didn't grab for it. He just watched as it drifted through the trees and toward a building of the Academy that'd been his home for the past two weeks. A drop of water hit his cheek. He paid no mind to the fact that it had started to rain.

[i][b]There's a black hat caught in a high tree top
    There's a flag pole rag and the wind won't stop[/i][/b]

It was silly, he thought, but the moment he could no longer see the rag he instantly wanted it back. It wasn't like it was the last rag in the galaxy... And it was probably best it was gone. He needed to move on. That rag had come from the clothes he wore when they'd tracked Alema to that asteroid. He'd kept it as a constant reminder of how he'd let the dark side start to claim him once again.

[i][b]I have stood here before inside the pouring rain
    With the world turning circles running round my brain
    I guess I'm always hoping that youll end this reign
    But it's my destiny to be the king of pain[/i][/b]

If Jaina hadn't dragged him out of there, he would have been lost. The darkness had stirred inside him once again. It was amazing how formidable and feeble it made him feel at the same time. For a moment he'd even thought of ripping free of Jaina's grip, staying, and letting the darkness destroy him. Her grip and determination had been too strong though, as usual, and he felt too despondent to fight. Beside, had he stayed, the darkness wouldn't have claimed him - the missiles fired into the asteroid would. No, instead he'd been given another chance.

As part of his recovery he made it his mission to prevent others from following his path. Giving the younglings the training, guidance, and support he'd denied himself at their age gave him focus and meaning he'd never realized before. Maybe they'd never have to experience the pain he felt every day. Maybe they'd never have to hold back, afraid of what they might do if they let go.

[i][b]There's a little black spot on the sun today
    That's my soul up there
    It's the same old thing as yesterday
    That's my soul up there
    There's a black hat caught in a high tree top
    That's my soul up there
    There's a flag pole rag and the wind wont stop
    That's my soul up there[/i][/b]

What he did now would never clean all the black spots off his past. Nothing would. Zekk was a living lesson to himself and others. Once you stepped into the dark, you'll always have a shadow - even when light shines bright from overhead. What he did now was for the future - not so much his, but the Jedi's.

He could feel the galaxy beginning to rebuild itself. And he knew these students would help it be stronger than before. He'd make sure no young one here would insist he or she was alone - as Zekk had for too long. They'd learn and grow in a time of peace instead o

2. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    That was amazing! =D= What a great portrait of Zekk--confident but tragic, sure of himself but always wishing, with some part of his heart, that things between himself and Jaina could have been different. Great characterization. =D=

I especially loved the symbolism with the rag. :)

3. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    Once again, poor Zekk gets dumped on. :_|

Still, you captured the raw emotion well enough.

4. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    Yes, Zekk's the love triangle loser. Still you wrote him pensive, but not too emo. Strong, but humble. I was worried when I saw this title that you might make him all Sithly. So thank you for keeping him noble. =D=

5. jadesabre75

jadesabre75 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 14, 2007
    I'm not a big Zekk fan, but you did him justice. You showed a very mature side of Zekk dealing with his "Jaina issue". Awesome job!

6. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    The darkness had stirred inside him once again. It was amazing how formidable and feeble it made him feel at the same time. For a moment he'd even thought of ripping free of Jaina's grip, staying, and letting the darkness destroy him. Her grip and determination had been too strong though, as usual, and he felt too despondent to fight.

This is such a lovely summary of what happened and of how he and Jaina interact. I especially liked the part about how he almost stayed--I hadn't thought of it before, but it makes perfect sense for the character and grows organically out of what we saw in Fury.

Yes, he had loved her. Yes, he still did. It wasn't quite the same now though. He'd admitted realizing that they were better as friends, but a small part of him would always fight that. If she ever came back wanting to be something more, he'd go for it in a heartbeat. All he knew was that he wouldn't pursue her any longer. He had to find a way into the light on his own.

It still stung.

Again, wow. :eek: This is so Zekk, and I could see this happening in canon. It's a great snapshot of how he feels about Jaina. I also like that's he a teacher now; it fits him.

I thought this was a great viggie. You really show Zekk as strong and honorable, but still tragic. You packed a lot of emotion and spot-on characterization into a small space. Very nice job! =D=

7. Solo_and_Fel

Solo_and_Fel Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2004
    First off, I'd like to thank you all for reading and replying! I was a little nervous about this one because I'd a) never written a song fic before and b) never really written a lot of Zekk before. I also appreciate you all coming in here to a Zekk story with my user name being what it is. (It's actually had a lot to do with the rivalry between the families for those of you who were curious). :cool:

jedi_of_ennth : What a great portrait of Zekk--confident but tragic, sure of himself but always wishing, with some part of his heart, that things between himself and Jaina could have been different.
    Thank you! I was trying to strike a balance. I have to admit in the NJO I was not a fan of Zekk, but he's really grown on me in LOTF. And I think I understand his actions in the NJO better in retrospect. He's a good friend and Jedi with good intentions - he's just got this dark cloud hanging over him.

Great characterization. - And with your user name being what it is... that's a compliment I won't take lightly.
    :D

I especially loved the symbolism with the rag.
    I'm glad you caught that. It sort of slipped in there on its own accord.

Furyan_Jedi_13 :Once again, poor Zekk gets dumped on.
    Well...he's the King of Pain. :( Hopefully somewhere down the road things get a little brighter for him.

Still, you captured the raw emotion well enough.
    Thank you. :)

iamobiwan1970 :Yes, Zekk's the love triangle loser.
    Well... sort of. Although I didn't write that Jag and Jaina were together. She was just flying with him somewhere. So maybe they're all losers. :p

I was worried when I saw this title that you might make him all Sithly. So thank you for keeping him noble.
    You're welcome! I really think the dark side fall in Fury was just a slip. And because it was something he was afraid of doing, it'd take a bit to recover, but he would and he wouldn't want anyone else to have his trials if he could help it.

jadesabre75:I'm not a big Zekk fan, but you did him justice. You showed a very mature side of Zekk dealing with his "Jaina issue". Awesome job!
    Thank you! I'd say he is a pretty mature guy these days...when he's not doing situp/pullup competitions. Heh.

Emerald_Lady :This is such a lovely summary of what happened and of how he and Jaina interact. I especially liked the part about how he almost stayed--I hadn't thought of it before, but it makes perfect sense for the character and grows organically out of what we saw in Fury.

Thanks! That's really part of the challenge that is writing specs and missing scenes - to make it seem like that really could have happened next while keeping everything else cannon straight. I just felt like Zekk was in such a dark place. Within a few pages he went from being pretty scary to so lost. And as Jaina later said, he came out of that fight as damaged as Jag was, except Zekk got all the pain emotionally instead of physically.

Again, wow. This is so Zekk, and I could see this happening in canon. It's a great snapshot of how he feels about Jaina. I also like that's he a teacher now; it fits him.

I thought this was a great viggie. You really show Zekk as strong and honorable, but still tragic. You packed a lot of emotion and spot-on characterization into a small space. Very nice job!

Thank you once again. I really enjoyed trying to keep the balance within the character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.