>>>KINGDOM HEARTS<<<< Official Discussion Thread!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Obi-HaCoR, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hiya Folks!!

[image=http://gamefixx.compusa.com/product_images/images/full/47/293947_f.gif] Kingdom Hearts!!

I just picked up this game last night and I must say what an awesome game it is. The graphics are beautiful, the voice overs for each character fit so perfectly. The story line is wnderful (like mostly all Disney moves and Squaresoft games). I've just started my adventure so I have so much more to watch and see.

The intro is a very beautiful intro and fits the game perfectly. I think a lot of people look at it as a childs game because of the Disney characters but let me say this.........it's far from some silly child game :) Seeing Donald, and Goofy and the other characters puts a huge smile on my face. This game is great.............even though I would have changed the battle system a little bit.

So here's the thread to discuss our adventures of Kingdom Hearts!!! :)
  2. plokoon480 Jedi Master

star 4
    Good game?Yah right!Lol! [face_laugh]
  3. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Um......have you even played it yet? If you have, you wil understand why it's one of the most creative games out there right now.

I think this was a great move by squaresoft. I mean, don't get me wrong, the FF series are the best games I've played. I am saying though that Kingdom Hearts is a wonderful and great game. The story line is a very very good mix. It's not childish....it's a turn in a whole new direction that will make those that loved the Disney characters love them again, and would make the FF fans love to see their fav FF characters again plus a knock out storyline. This is the best Brand New RPG out there right now without a doubt.

I'm personally sorry you don't feel the same way, but thats okay. I'm sure others out there will.
  4. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

I've heard it's pretty good, except the battle system is quite "lame", and the ship thingie you travel around in is, to quote my friend again, "lame as hell".

5. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "The Gummie Bear Ship" Yeah I've seen pic of it in magazines. It does seem pretty lame. Like I said before, the battle system could be a little better. All the fighting is in Real Time, so you basically have no time to think. With a little practice it should be piece of cake to handle.

Other then that, the graphics are gorgeous, the storyline is spectacular, the hwole mood in general is that of a great squaresoft game with disney influence. I am actually amazed as to how wonderful this game turned out to be.
  6. Rogue_of-Peace Jedi Master

star 4
    hmm..... I'm interested in any RPG from Squaresoft (or Konami, for that matter), what's it like? How many characters? Any spoken dialogue? How long is it? What is the Battle System? and so on.
  7. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/playstation2/kingdomhearts/kingdomheartsps2_screen004.jpg]

** Shudders **

The very thought of playing a game with Disney characters has always filled me with loathing. But then I have a complete loathing for all things Disney, they are the great evil. They destroyed Times Square and my satruday morning cartoons. Mark my words 50 years from now they will have postioned themselves into controlling all markets aswell as the world. Disney has to be the most evil corporation on the planet. They look sweet and innocent on the outside but on the inside Disney is a ruthless, aggressive, cold and calculating evil corporation bent on world domination. Well I've ranted enough.

So is there any singing in this game?

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) i(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\::::i
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!
  8. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No there is no singing in the game as much as I know you would love it if there was. Anyway.... I seriously think you guys are judging before giving it a shot. I bet i fyou played it, you'de get hooked.

Rogue_Of-Peace : Here is a review from gamers.com that talks abotu the video game. If your interested, this answers all you questions......plus may help all you doubters out there about the game :)

Let's assume for a second that you're not a Disney fan. That you can't stomach Disney. Heck, you despise Disney! Or let's say you couldn't care less about Square. Final Fantasy don't mean jack to you. And as for RPGs in general? Blech!
    Fine. But guess what? Which-ever camp you fall into, you're still gonna fall in love with this game. I know I did.

Now, granted, I'm a big FF fan. And I love RPGs. But until recently, I was as indifferent to Disney as I am to tuna on rye (a decent sandwich, sure, but nothing I'd go out of my way to munch on).

Then along came Kingdom Hearts, and everything changed. I've gone from snubbing most Disney releases to owning a dozen Disney DVDs -- and that's just the start of my growing collection. I've seen the light -- I'm now a dedicated Disney devotee.

Kingdom Hearts is also so good that I had to rifle through my notes to remember the problems I encountered. Yes, it's far from perfect. For one thing, it's got an utterly evil camera, one that sometimes swings wildly out of control, wreaking havoc and obscuring my vision at the worst possible times. The combat also suffers from its share of woes. Yet despite these shortcomings, when I finally finished the game some 40 hours later, all I could remember is how much fun I had.

From its very first moments, Kingdom Hearts will grab you -- and it won't let go until well after you've beaten it. The game is a remarkable achievement in pacing, especially when it comes to the story. Sure, I could often guess what was lurking around the next corner; after all, the game is rooted in familiar Disney worlds. I knew, for example, that Clayton was a vicious predator driven by horrible intentions. I knew that Ursula was after King Triton's power and that she'd use sweet Ariel as a pawn in her perfidious plans. I even knew I'd end up facing both of them at the end of their respective levels, in heated boss battles that had me gripping the controller as I bashed away, barely making it out of there alive. Yet I was still surprised every step of the way -- not because the story took an unexpected turn, but because it took that familiar turn so darn well. It proves the old adage that it's not the story itself, but how you tell it that matters. I'd sometimes marvel at the fact that Square got nine Disney worlds, more than 100 Disney characters, and a heaping helping of Final Fantasy cameos to work together in telling a larger tale. The whole thing sticks together tighter than a Pooh bear to a pot of honey.

Some of this can be attributed to the choice of characters: Each Disney world is either so classic as to be deeply ingrained in our collective pop-culture psyche, or new enough that even if you didn't see the film, you're already familiar with these characters through all the commercials, the Happy Meals, the toys, the TV spinoffs and countless other tie-ins.

The graphics also help keep things tight. From the deserts of Agrabah to the burial grounds of Halloween Town, all the backdrops are picture-perfect. More impressive, though, is the way that everything moves. Once you see Sora, Donald, Goofy -- and all the other Disney and Square stars -- strut their stuff, you can't help but believe they all belong exactly where they are, despite the vast differences between all the settings. Simply said, this is the closest I've ever seen a 3D game come to mirroring the majesty of 2D animation.

Rounding out the presentation is the voice-acting. Haley Joel Osment shines as Sora by bringing something that's in short supply in video games: naturalness. He sounds like a real boy really living through these situations. The same can be said
  9. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    ...i'm enjoying the game...

So far, i'm up to the Tarzan level...

You cannot put into words how cool it is to have Donald Duck going ballistic at your side...

And Goofy is a dominant force to be reckoned with.. All those Sports-Goofy shorts REALLy paid off!
  10. obi-wankenobiben Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't know? Should i rent it?
    I was thinking about,but it might be a kid's game and just blow my money! Did you buy or rent it?
  11. Tsavong_Lah Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yep if a grown man like me loves this game, then it is good!

I count this as one of Square's best works dispite some flaws.

I especially love the music.

I also enjoy the battle system, makes me yearn for a Secret of Mana remake.
  12. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Obi-Wan , personally I bought it first without buying. I've read countless reviews about it and I got hooked automatically. Is it a childish game..surprisingly it's no were near that :) I think thats what makes it so cool though. You have Disney characters that give it the light tone yet it's not childish at all, you can't help but laugh sometimes. If your that uncertain, definitly rent it. Then see for yourself how good of a game it is.

This is definitly Squares best work outside of FF without a doubt. I started playing it and th eintro alone made my jaw drop. It's so graphically beautiful and the STORY is definitly trademark Squaresoft. Awesome.

Fighting along side Donald and Goofy is awesome. I love the idea that they fight for themselves and can heal themselves when need be. I think thats so awesome, all you really have to worry about it making sure they have enough potions as well as watching out for yourself. The battle system isn't all that bad, just takes a lot of getting used to.

I don't rmemeber the name of the world, I think it's something like Traverse Town. I've just got through meeting some more of the FF crew :) If you in the process of deciding what to do, I suggest renting it first, but I'm almost positive you'll fall in love with this game :)
  13. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    This game is okay, but far from the best Square has to offer. Ever played Xenogears? Rushed into production as it was, it's 10 times the game (in terms of complexity of plot and gameplay) Kingdom Hearts is. Kingdom Hearts is an average (I would say below average...) Square game, and they've been coming out with way too many of these as of late.

Gameplay wise, Kingdom Hearts is Zelda for those with attention deficit disorder. The screen becomes chaos when enemies spawn (which, BTW, is WAY too frequently). NPC's of all types just swarm in front of you, to the side of you, behind you, etc. There is NO strategy whatsoever in fights, it's just avoiding damage and button mashing until the enemies all die. The "gummi ship" is a big waste of time.

And really, as cool as it is to have the likes of Haley Joel Osment and James Woods doing the voice acting, do we REALLY need Mandy Moore and Lance Bass?

My rating: 5/10
    Rent it if you're a rabid Square or Disney fanboy. And it's probably the only decent new PS2 game out right now. But it's far from a must-have.
  14. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Thanks for your insight 1stAD :) It's always appreciated. I hope you return with more of your thoughts as you progress with the game. As for me....

I give it a 8/10

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image26.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image18.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image9.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image15.jpg] neat huh?? :)
  15. pat-fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I've been thinking about giving this game a try. I used to love Disney as a kid but not so much any more. From what others are saying though it sounds fun.
  16. Tsavong_Lah Jedi Knight

star 3
    And really, as cool as it is to have the likes of Haley Joel Osment and James Woods doing the voice acting, do we REALLY need Mandy Moore and Lance Bass?

So basically one of your complaints about the game stems from your personal dislike of a certain person. Forgive me...but thats a full load of crap. Who the VA are has nothing to do with how good a game is(Unless the VA's are bad, which is not the case). It's totally irrelevent. Think about it, if you didn't know who they were then it wouldn't matter at all.

17. JediPrincessKas Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lance Bass is a voice in this game??? [face_shocked] [face_love] Lol, anyway...

:) I just bought Kingdom Hearts yesterday, and am still getting used to it. This is the first game like this I've ever played, but so far, I'm loving it. The graphics are amazing, it's almost like watching a movie. As far as plot goes, I haven't gotten very far with it, so I'm not going to judge it just yet. I mean really, I don't have anything to compare it with, considering I've never played any of the FF games.

I think integrating the Disney characters is a really cool idea. It gives the game a bit of lightheartedness (Is that even a word?), but it's not childish. I'm really enjoying this game so far! I'll get back to y'all when I've gotten farther with it.

*Runs off to play Kingdom Hearts*
  18. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey Pat , I think that even if you like Disney when you were a kid, and not so much anymore....I still think you would like it. I mean I don't watch many Disney movies at all anymore.........But seeing Donald and Goofy do their thing and some of the very little Disney humor thats in it, just took me back to my childhood days.

It brings back a little childhood memories, but then also hits you up with the dark atmosphere of the game at times that really give this game a very well balanced trend. You may enjoy it. Rent it out if your not sure.
  19. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I'm sorry, but Bass (and to a lesser extent Moore) offer NOTHING to their respective roles. Bass's Sephiroth is totally off the mark, he makes this weird pseudo-laugh that doesn't befit the character. No, I'm not looking for some gruff and steroid-ridden macho voice, but Bass's inexperience as an actor really shows through. Moore is a bit more excusable (excuse the pun) because she isn't as dominant a prescence. To further expound, with the exception of Haley Joel Osment, the voice acting for the non-Disney characters is atrocious.

The fact that Lance Bass and Mandy Moore are in the game isn't cause to dislike the voice acting - the fact that they do such a bad job is. I'm beginning to wonder if the Disney voice actors recorded their lines during sessions separate from the Square voice actors, and with different directors.
  20. Tsavong_Lah Jedi Knight

star 3
    the fact that they do such a bad job is.

Good then that is relevant. Not whatever foolish star is the voice actor.

21. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, I've been playing the game, and just finished Wonderland. It's the weirdest, most bizarre game I've ever played, but it's fun. :)
  22. Obi-HaCoR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hiya again folks......I'm glad your enjoying the game Rebecca , maybe we can convince some of these guys to rent it at least :)

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image23.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image10.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image21.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image2.JPG]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image27.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image19.jpg]

[image=http://img.neoseeker.com/p/Games/Playstation_2/Role-Playing/Fantasy/kingdomhearts_image13.jpg]

BOOYAH!!! :)
  23. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ugggggh, I need help with the game. It's that waterfall cave at the end of the jungle level. I've tried to get to the top but I've gotten to this one point, and it seems to be a dead end. There's one more ledge, but it's way too high to jump to. I just can't figure out any way to get higher and it's driving me crazy, and I spent over a half hour trying! Anyone get past this yet?
  24. 1stAD Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Umm, I think you keep going straight as the path is a circular incline. You'll eventually be able to jump across to it, I think...
  25. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    So far I'm enjoying the game and I'm somewhere in Aladin's world... I think it's a cool game even without the FF cameos, though I admit that was a large part of my initial interest in it. I'd like to say that I'm a big enough person to get past my distaste for people if they do a good job at something (take for instance No Doubt. I can't stand them, but I love "Simple Kind of Life") but, LANCE BASS is Sephiroth? What kind of hell is that? Why, dear Square, why? First one of them wants to go to space (I would have chipped in, if it were a one way ticket) and now one is playing my favorite game villain of all time? You need a scarier voice for Sephiroth. Colder... Like Michael Madsen with less gravel. Maybe Alec Baldwin. Or, though he's busy making floor mop and diamond commercials, the voice of Raziel would have been good, though perhaps Sephiroth should have a deeper voice.

Oh, and I realize it might be an accent thing, but I don't like how Wakka pronounced "Tidus."

Edit: To answer the problem, you have to rotate the camera to see where to jump. That's the only real complaint I have about the game is the camera issue. But in the waterfall, if you rotate the camera, you'll find where to jump. I don't believe you jump all the way to the treasure chest before turning around. And there are points where it seems like you're jumping straight up, not running towards a ledge and jumping. I hope that helps. The key is the camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.