main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

>>>KINGDOM HEARTS<<<< Official Discussion Thread!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Obi-HaCoR, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    The best way to take down Cerebrus, I found, was to run around on the steps. When it gets close, run up and start wacking him in the head. Up on the steps his bite can't get you, and his other attacks are easy to dodge. If Donald or Goofy die, just keep running around until they come back. I wasn't even close to level 15, so I couldn't really do a lot to him, so running helped.

As for the Gummi ship, I don't understand putting it together, or parts that I need, or "special." Basically I tossed on little green wings, and I'm surprised that worked. For the person who asked about if it really sucks... did you ever play Zaxxon? It's an old game where despite your shadow, you could never really tell if you were too high or too low, frequently you hit things and died. I think this is the same. I swear there are times I know I'm dead center through an opening, and I still get wacked.

2. Darth_Spiegal

Darth_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    The Gummi Ship sucks for a few reasons.

1. The graphics for the sequence suck. (And the sequence itself is annoying)

2. The Make-Yr-Own Gummi Ship System is confusing and it sucks. (And I heard that some people don't modify their ship at all and they still get through the game so add on useless)

I might change my mind but right now I'd rather just go from world to world w/o it.

3. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Ok, I have a question. Has anyone else gotten to Hollow Bastion yet? I've gotten there, and I'm having trouble beating the Dragon boss. Plus I'm out of items. If I got back to Traverse Town to buy more, will I have to go through the whole castle again? I guess that wouldn't be terrible, since I opened all the passages and stuff already, but it would be a pain in the neck.

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Ok, well, I beat the dragon but any tips for

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Riku 2?

E

N

D

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Unless I'm the only one to get that far.

5. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Sorry, I stopped playing when I got to Hollow Bastion. I have more important things to do, like not studying and slacking off 8-}

6. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Well, never mind, I went back and beat him on my first attempt. I guess I just needed a break.

I only have the last level left. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do before beating the game.

7. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Wait, after Hollow Bastion the game is more or less FINISHED!?

What a rip!

I guess they had to throw in Sephy for the U.S. release to keep gamers a tad more occupied. I suppose now I'll try the game on expert, seeing as how ridiculously easy it already is.

8. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    No, there is one more level after Hollow Bastion, but it's the final one. So if I do any more optional stuff, I wanna do it before I go there, since I'm not sure how easy it is to leave and stuff.

9. Darth_Spiegal

Darth_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 1

May 1, 2002
    Did you fight Sephy? ?[face_plain]

10. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Tried. He killed me in 2 hits. I'm just too lazy to level up enough to fight him. Supposedly he's a challenge even at level 100 and I'm only like 53.

I'm trying to beat the game right now. I only have the very final bosses left. I think I need to level up though, I'm having trouble. :(

Or I guess I could just be tired. I'll try again tomorrow....

11. -Kyle-Katarn-

-Kyle-Katarn- Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2002
    I bought the game five days ago, and already have 42 hours of gameplay in it. Wow, this game surpassed all of my expectations, the graphics, sound, and gameplay are great. Let me give my opinion on some of these subjects...

The Voice Acting
    What is wrong with you people? The voice acting in this game is great! Osment is perfect, I don't see what you have against him. What did he ever do wrong? He did a good job in The Sixth Sense. Don't be ridiculous.

The Gummi Ship
    An amusing sidetrack, not a vital part of gameplay. If you don't like it, just warp to different worlds. Stop complaining, if you don't like it, don't do it.

The Storyline being too 'kiddy'
    You must be joking. The Disney settings don't make the story kiddy, they kind of add a lightheartedness to the whole adventure. Wait until you get to Hollow Bastion, the story gets incredibly deep and actually put me on edge. The part where Riku throws you the wooden sword and says "Here...go play hero, with this..". Wow. Call me easily moved, but after the 40 hours of plot buildup, and the keyblade being second nature to my character who I'd gotten to know all too well, that one made me shiver.

The Game Being Too Easy
    Well, it is relatively easy the first half of the game, but the second half can make you want to break controllers into tiny pieces. The Leon/Cloud battle (Seed 20) took me over half an hour (in one attempt) to beat, healing myself and hitting whenever I could, using Goofy's MP Gift ability to its fullest extent. Besides all this, I haven't even tried Expert mode. I shudder to think of the rage this mode could cause...

My Own Concerns
    Sora is Level 52 on my record, and I've gotten to Seed 10 (Hades) in the Hades Cup. I can't even seem to dent him, though. What's the technique on damaging him?
    I also tried fighting Sephiroth, knowing I wouldn't stand a chance, but wanting to try. He had the same problem of me not even being able to move his health bar a millimeter. Obviously I don't expect to beat him anytime soon, but how do I even hurt him?
    Also, is there any point I can go to that will give purpose (aka "challenge") to my heavily upgraded Gummi ship?
    Lastly, is there any miscellaneous information I might find helpful about any of the side-quests or Collesium enemies #1-9 I might want to know about?

Thanks for your help, whoever answers. Thank goodness, now I can go back and play the game for a few more hours before collapsing of exhaustion. Would you believe I played it 12 hours straight before this, only stopping to use the restroom once?

12. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    An amusing sidetrack, not a vital part of gameplay. If you don't like it, just warp to different worlds. Stop complaining, if you don't like it, don't do it.

Well it's annoying before you get the warp drive. And when you are going to a new world for the first time. I just suck at steering it and shooting obstacles.

Anyway, I'm surprised people have gotten this many hours into the game. It took me 30 hours to get through the story to the end. But I'll probably get stuck spending another few leveling up.

The hardest tournament I've beaten is the Hercules one. My Sora is currently on level 55 or 56 or something.

13. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    The Storyline being too 'kiddy'
    You must be joking. The Disney settings don't make the story kiddy, they kind of add a lightheartedness to the whole adventure. Wait until you get to Hollow Bastion, the story gets incredibly deep and actually put me on edge...

I'm sorry, but you are easily moved. Compared to the plot of Xenogears (which is easily the most complex and controversial console RPG), Kingdom Hearts is kid's play. And it shouldn't take you 40 hours to even get to that point.

14. -Kyle-Katarn-

Aug 8, 2002
    1stAd, you seem to be a big critic of the game. Stop comparing Kingdom Hearts to the games that are (in your mind) godlike, and appreciate it for the great game it is. No game has been made that can be accurately compared to this.
    On a side note, I have beaten Xenogears (My save is at the last point "Beginning and End"). The story was deep to the point of ridiculousness, but it certainly has some powerful plot points. The only difference, in my opinion, was the delivery of the turning points, it just wasn't as climactic or exciting. Also, the storyline for that game suffers from a problem known as 'last hour rehash'. Basically, 90% of the plot takes place in the last few hours of the game, lessening suspense as surprise after surprise follow, until you are surprised when something unsurprising happens (follow that?). Don't get me wrong, Xenogears is one of my favorite games of all time. I'm merely comparing the 'plots'. Don't let your harsh comparisons to other games ruin the good moments Kingdom Hearts has. It's like when someone is telling you about the great game-winning touchdown in the 4th quarter, and you say "Well, compared to World War II, that's just kinda boring".
    Also, don't get the idea that I think Kingdom Hearts is perfect. Obviously, it isn't. But with all the criticism going on, it seemed a waste to post anything but the good. Yes, the Gummi ship can be irritating for the first three hours of the game. But don't blow that out of proportion.
    Finally, any help with the questions I asked in my last post?

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I haven't played the Hades cup. And I don't think it ever really matters if you upgrade your Gummi Ship. Upgrading it is just a sidequest to fool around with if you enjoy it.

16. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Well, Xenogears' ridiculous last hour 20 minute plot summaries has more to do with Squaresoft's pulling of the key developers to finish FFVIII. And I don't think Xenogears is godlike, but it is certainly better than KH.

My main gripe with Kingdom Hearts is that it represents yet another slip in quality for Squaresoft as a whole. In the mid-90's Squaresoft was delivering spectacularly fantastic games such as Final Fantasy 6 and 7 and Chrono Trigger. But as Square rapidly rose in popularity along with the Playstation, the quality of their games has suffered considerably.

Back to Kingdom Hearts, the story isn't on the same level as, let's say Final Fantasy X or even VIII (wait, maybe I'm being rash...). The gameplay is absolutely atrocious, it's "press x till the cows come home" for 30-80 hours. All the maps are SMALL. Incredibly small. Fortunately, the Disney voice actors really deliver great performances on par with their animated features. The graphics are very nice, and the music is very impressive. And at least Square has the sense to try something different besides the standard menu-driven ATB game for a major franchise (Kingdom Hearts 2 is in production, not sure about a 3rd).

I still can't believe I spent $50 on this game either without testing it out first. That's what I get for reserving it and paying in advance. I'm an idiot.

17. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    So it's official there's going to be a Kingdom Hearts 2?

18. -Kyle-Katarn-

Aug 8, 2002
    Yes, its a shame what they did to Xenogears. A Kingdom Hearts 2? I'm definately buying it, the story kinda leaves you guessing. As for it not being on par with Final Fantasy X...well, as I said earlier, it is hard to compare KH to any other game. However, I was not FFX's biggest fan. I beat it, and loved most of it, but had my complaints. Such as the extreme annoyment of Tidus and Yuna's voices. Tidus' just annoys me for some reason, and whenever Yuna talks it sounds like she's out of breath (I..think...that...). The other voice actors are good, its a shame the main two aren't. The grid system annoyed me because it seemed I spent more time in the grid than I did playing the game. Overall, in my opinion though, Kingdom Hearts is at least on equal, if not higher ground.
    Also, I can't disagree with your 'bash X' thing, but for some odd reason, it is strangely entertaining, and I never found myself bored with the combat system. Maybe it's the impressive eye candy that goes with every battle.
    Whoever said that the starting sequence is annoying is crazy. They made the cutscene fit perfectly with the track, and I still occasionally watch it over again.
    On a side note, I finished the game today. The ending is pretty sad, and made me want the sequel (good hook, Square). Now all I have left to do are finishing the Hades Cup and defeating Sephiroth. I'm not sure where I'm going to get enough experience to go from level 55 to 90 (Level to stand a chance against Sephy). I read in the GamePro that came today that what you say to Tidus, Wakka, and Selphie (about what you want, like "Broaden My Horizons" affect how quickly you level up. Apparently, I chose all the wrong answers. Great.

19. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Oh yeah, apparently there are around 15 different combinations that result in you leveling up normally, slowly, or quickly. I stumbled across the fast leveling up, which probably explains why I finished so quickly 8-}

And I loved the FFX sphere grid and battle system. It was the first non-ATB game Square had created in a long time (since FFIV I think). The "international" version of the game is even better, as the grid is reorganized such that all characters start out in the center and all the abilities are equally accessible from the beginning.

20. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I followed the guide which told what answers to select. So I level up fast. :p

21. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    Up!! :) So hows Kingdom Hearts coming along for some of you? :) I've been busy this past week so haven't had the time to sit down an play it :(

22. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I got to the second incarnation of Ursila, died once, and had to return the game. Hopefully I can rent it again, as I'd really like to finish it. Do you have any tips on beating her?

Oh, and Leon, Cloud, and Yuffie are all punks. :p

23. obi-wankenobiben

obi-wankenobiben Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    I just Bought Kingdom Hearts Saturday at gamestop.

24. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Ursula: Try to attack the back of her head. Try to fly away when she attacks. And be sure to use potions or curing magic. If that doesn't work level up a bit.

I am on vacation in Florida right now so I haven't played since I left. I have the final bosses to go. I think when I get home I'll work on the game, but I want to level up because it's just too frustrating at my current level.

25. Obi-HaCoR

Obi-HaCoR Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 13, 2002
    Well Obi-Wan , I hope you enjoy the game. If you ever need any help, feel free to ask some of us. We'll be more then willing to help you out. Share yours experiances here as well, like what you like or dislike about the game. Keep us updated on how your doing with the game. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.