main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by zacparis, Jan 20, 2012.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Probably deserves it's own thread...

I've played the demo, it's all right I guess. I might pick it up when it comes out, but it just feels so much like a mix of Fable and WoW. The music is nice though.

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm definitely picking this up when it comes out, I preordered it shortly after unlocking the ME3 gear at the end of the demo. I love the aesthetics of the world and the large weapons. Some of the dialogue is great too, with one character admitting to being drunk and another saying they're just a coward. Also, Fomorous Hugues is the best name I've ever seen in a video game, afaik. I've been looking for something like this for a long time, and I am going to love this when it comes out. I just need to get the ME3 demo for the ME3 themed gear.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It was alright. Not really my type of game, though. Seems very...basic.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Is there anything wrong with 'basic' though? All the old shooters I remember from when I was young didn't even have crouching and some didn't have jumping and they all didn't have aiming down the sights either, and they were still great games. Games don't need to be sophisticated or complex to be fun or enjoyable.

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I was thinking more in terms of story and dialogue.

6. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I will probs get this at some point. I like the stylised feel and the demo was a hell of a lot of fun.

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ah, well, hmm. Maybe, though I'm not sure there was enough time to judge. If you follow the main quest as far as you can you do find a twist. I'm guessing it'll get less simple as it goes on.

8. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I might've liked it more if not for the painfully-obvious references to Norse and Irish mythology. Pretty much killed any chance the game had at immersion for me from the start.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Aren't most fantasy-era RPGs like that though?

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, completed the demo and secured my ME3 goodies. Beyond that....

Can anyone explain how the whole Reckoning ability is supposed to work? Really didn't understand from the in-game 'help', all that happened was I lost a ton of health while trying to hold down 2 extra buttons in mid-combat!

Oh and what happened to just being able to kill things without mandatory QTE?

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    The Reckoning thing lets you attack a large group of enemies and kill them all in one go. You have to knock them all down in health first but that's not hard. Just don't stand right next to the enemy while you're trying to use it. Also, there are no mandatory QTEs. There's an optional one that lets you get an XP boost so you can get up to double XP from using Reckoning, but that's it.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, you don't have to pull those off? OK.

Thing that I found hard with the whole Reckoning thing is having to hold down both R1 and L1, while manipulating an analogue and other buttons - my coordination just ain't that good! Maybe it's done better on Xbox?

13. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Having very recently let my Gold membership lapse (haven't been playing a huge ton of multiplayer lately), I haven't been able to download the demo yet -- looks like I'll be waiting another week or more for this one before I can snag my ME3 swag.

Thought about getting the PC demo, but again -- Xbox Mass Effect carryover-continuity, etc.

14. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Even the combat? I think this is where the game shines, especially the combo system. Dashing around like the Flash with my dual daggers is pretty cool.

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's still the same, I just run away before I use Reckoning. FWIW, it is a bit better on the PC as you just have to hold 'X', which can be tricky considering where 'X' is on most keyboards. So, um, yeah, probably best to move to a safe distance before using Reckoning.

16. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Is the demo still exclusive to Gold members? Made me sad when I found that out. I love Curt Schilling.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just finished the tutorial! I've done the tutorial before but it was still fun and interesting this time, rather than a chore to do, which is great. While I will be able to skip it I don't think I will. Looking forward to starting the game proper later as I have things to do now, but for now it's very yay and excitement agogo! :D

Also, looking forward to getting the ME3 demo. My first run through is nearly pure sneak thief, so the shiny ME3 daggers will be very useful!

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I tried the demo yesterday, primarily for the ME3 stuff. It seemed entertaining enough, and the story didn't seem anywhere as lame as I expected it to be. Still, I'm probably not going to buy it. I've already got a massive backlog thanks to Steam, and if KoA is as horrifically lengthy as I heard it to be, I don't think I want to touch the full game.

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Been tweaking the the cards to find the right feel. Love the daggers and I must say that tossing fireballs at the faces of mine enemies is rather satisfying. Especially when I can make them explode.;)

At first, I thought this game was stupid.

Now?
    @ level 16 with: half mage + half thief = much more fun to play.
    What keeps this from getting old, is the ability to completely start anew whenever you want. Another cool thing is that this game seems to have ripped the best features from other games without it being over the top. About the only REALLY annoying things to me so far are when I had to blow that whistle, and dealing with limited storage space. 90 items in my back pack and I love them all... besides who wants to run back to Gossomer's End every five minutes anyways?:p

20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    You can get five (I think) backpack upgrades from various vendors in the game. They give you ten item slots each. It would have been nice to have had some sort of item storage system so that we can stash some items in the special delivery chest or somewhere else. I do like that you can add all the items you want to sell to a 'Junk' section and sell it all in one go. It saves a lot of time and if something is accidentally added it can just be removed from the Junk section again.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Some of these maps are very annoying, especially when the white "SideQuest" circles don't appear when they are supposed to. There is no sandbox in Amalur, its just 30 maps linked together. But, there is still a ton left to do. Solved around 110 quests, still have [!]'s all over the place & a dozen active quests....

Archmage & Firstsworn @ Level 31 now, with no idea what to do next.
    :p

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Capped @ Level 40....
    o_O

DLC/Free Faction = Awesome change of pace.

Final Boss = 8-}

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    They released some new DLC for it? How did I miss that? :eek:

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Three armor packs are available @ $2.99 each, in addition to the free-unlock of the "House of Arena Combat".

By the time I got the DLC, I was already making better gear than what dropped in the lock box. But it isn't for me, my brother will be playing so I figured why not load him up from the jump? I should have done that sooner.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ah, that stuff! I don't have enough to buy the booster packs so I doubt I'll get them. I do like the ME3 bonus gear though, except I'm a sneak thief so it's not much good for this run through. I did ask them about DLC on twitter and their reply was 'stay tuned', so fingers crossed we'll see more.