main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Kings or Pawns (AU-Padme joins her husband in his quest to rule the galaxy) Updated 2/2

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Anakins_Force, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Title: Kings or Pawns
    Author: Anakins_Force
    Timeframe: Saga AU
    Characters: Anakin/Vader, Padme, Obi-Wan
    Summary: The October Ani/Ami index challenge: Padme wants the children trained as dark Jedi. Padme joins her husband in his quest to rule the galaxy and changes the course of events.
    Notes: I only met 5 out of the 9 challenge requirement in this part so I'll expand it to meet the other 4.
    Disclaimer: The characters belong to Lucas.

[image=http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/YellowDartVader/star%20wars%20other/kingsorpawnscopy.jpg]

Thank you YellowDart for the cover art!

Kings or Pawns

"We are either kings or pawns of men."
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

Prologue: Decide

?Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide.?
    -Napoleon Bonaparte

As the smothering heat of Mustafar rose around them, Anakin clenched his teeth and curled his fingers around Padme?s arms. ?I won't lose you the way I lost my mother! I've become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of and I've done it for you. To protect you.?

Padme closed her eyes. She shut out the oppressive warmth and the pressure of his hands on her arms. I must decide. Now. No thinking, no rationalizations, no deliberations. No second chances?this is it.

In the past, she always held back a little of herself, just as her mother instructed her. Her mother?s voice echoed, ?If you give yourself entirely to a man, then you will have lost. Protect yourself, keep him wanting more.?

?Is that what you did with dad??

?Of course, sweetheart. That?s the way it is with men. Once they have you entirely, they?ll lose interest. You must never allow a man to think he claims you completely.?

?But that seem so dishonest, mom.?

Her mother laughed and squeezed Padme?s hand. ?Oh honey, you?ll find that being honest is not necessarily part of a successful relationship.?

Seeing Padme?s frown, her mother leaned over and hugged her. ?I know it?s hard, but you?ll get used to the idea. When your grandmother first told me these things, I said I?d never play games with someone I cared about. And then I fell in love with your father.?

Padme followed her mother?s advice--her mother had been happily married for over thirty years. It worked for her mother and it worked for her sister.

But it did not work for Padme.

In fairness to her mother, these tactics had worked for many generations of her mother?s family. Padme?s maternal relatives knew much about normal men. They understood their moods, their hopes, and their motivations. These plots had worked on farmers, shopkeepers, barristers and doctors.

They didn?t work on Anakin Skywalker.

He was so different from other men--he bound himself to her. He had been faithful to her since he was nine years old, never wavering in his belief that she would love him back.

Her first rejection on Naboo stabbed him and each of her ploys twisted the knife, leaving him bleeding for her. Every time she froze her face into her politician?s mask was a betrayal to him and his devotion to her.

He had been willing to leave the Jedi Order, to throw away his status and power for her, yet she had denied him.

She tried to give up her reluctance, but it was such a habit. The words ?no, can?t, stop? flowed from her mouth with increasing frequency over the years. Instead of enamoring her to him further as it would have done with an average man, it cut him away from her.

He had plenty of faults, but not loving her was not one of them--he loved her too much. His intensity scared her, so she sealed herself away from him, causing a permanent rift.

She was the one who had to be coaxed to love. And now her husband was forcing her hand. She had to choose.

She pushed him away so many times.

?I can't. We can't. It's just not possible.?

?I am not going to give in to this. I have more important things to do than fall

2. leiaelyssa

leiaelyssa Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    This is an interesting interpretation I always wondered what would happen if Padme did choose to join Anakin not so much about duty as it would be for unconditonal love for him from her. Hope you keep going with this.

3. nobodys_angel

nobodys_angel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Awesome start. Very intriguing and can't wait to see where you go with it!! I can see my own response to this challenge taking on a mind of it's own as well!! They've opened up a can of worms and you've dealt with them with expert precision!

Fantastic and I can't wait to read more. Please keep me updated!!!

4. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    I really love her reasoning here. And I also liked the way you added in the words. Great job! Definitely waiting for more.

5. Ladynaye

Ladynaye Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    Bravo!! =D= Its about time I read a story on Padme joining her loving husband!!

6. widow_skywalker

widow_skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 5, 2005
    Interesting... Each time is different when I read a RotS AU. The impetus is never the same. I cannot wait until the next post.

7. mmfcfa

mmfcfa Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2005
    Just discovered your fic.:)

Pretty good! I've read similar takes on this idea but your version seems to be the only one I've read so far that gives viable reasons to her decision. Besides I've always thought she should have gone with him anyway.[face_devil]

Can't wait for your next post. Add me to your PM list, please.:D

8. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Excellent! Very good reasons, totally beliveable =D=

9. TragicLove

TragicLove Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2005
    Great start! Funny thing is, I was searching for this exact type of story earlier. I love AUs, and after seeing ROTS I've always wondered what would happen if she had chosen to join Anakin. Can't wait to read more!

10. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    This is pretty cool so far.
    Waiting for more I am. [face_batting]

11. VA_Parky

VA_Parky Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 10, 2005
    This is fascinating! I, too, can't wait to see where you take this. I am impressed with the way you made it seem so plausible without ruining Padme's character.

I'll be anxiously awaiting the rest!

12. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I have been searching, and searching and searching for a fic like this, I've always wondered what would happen if the whole family was dark...:confused: [face_thinking]

PMs would be cool!:D

Cheers_Cazza@};-

13. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Ooops!...how rude of me!...hello everyone!...nice to see so many people here already!

Cheers_Cazza@};-

14. rb657062

rb657062 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    This is so cool! I can't wait to see where it goes. :*

Send me a message when you update. I'm certainly a fan already.

- Rachel

15. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    ah...interesting...

16. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Great job, A_F! You took the challenge topic and ran with it! I love how you kept Padme true to the character established in canon yet changed the outcome. I look forward to future updates. :D

17. AP4EVER

AP4EVER Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2005
    Magnificiant start, AF.

Right now I?m going to love my husband. I can worry about my conscience later.

Indeed. He's kinda irrational right now, better to talk and reason with him once things calm down a bit.

If you are starting up a PM list, please add me, cause I'm hooked!:D

18. lstevens

lstevens Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 31, 2005
    I just found this story tonight. What great AU of ROTS. Looking forward to your next post.

19. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This was great, Anakins_Force!!! You made this completely believeable and wonderful to read. I also liked the present-tense approach. That's a new one for you :p. Great work!

Choose now.

?For better or worse??

Choose.

He?s done terrible things, unforgivable things.

?In sickness and health??

He did them first for the Republic.

Now he?s done them for her.

?Till death do us part.?

This time, this time when it really matters, she won?t subvert his dedication to her. She won?t choose duty or propriety. She will choose her husband.

This just really struck me! Powerful!! =D=

20. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005

*I hope to have an update next week* (the Dare Challenge is giving me trouble right now, lol). Thanks everyone for reading this challenge answer!

leiaelyssa: Thank you for reading. I will keep going, but I'm fairly slow at updates. She finally realizes that she has hurt him with all the talk about 'duty' while he's professing his love.

nobodys_angel: Thank you for reading. I will keep you updated. (I'm impressed by the speed of your responses to the challenge! I am slow unfortunately.)

Alethia: Thank you--I am thrilled you saw her reasoning as valid. (The words weren't easy to fit in!)

Ladynaye: Thank you--it was important to me that she consider how he has always been the one to show his love/obsession while she has to be persuaded a little bit--and that she appreciate that about him--plus it fit the parameters of the challenge!

widow_skywalker: Thank you for reading!

mmfcfa: Thank you--I'm thankful you think her reasons are viable--they certainly makes sense to me! (More so than going on about Obi-Wan, lol). I will add you to the PM list.

Shinar: Thank you--I'm glad you think the reasons are believable. I imagine I would feel the same way she did.

TragicLove: Thank you for reading--I love AU's as well--especially where they are together.

Palpy560: Thank you for reading!

VA_Parky: Thank you for saying the characterization was correct--it can be intimidating to write Padme.

Jedi_Master_Cazz: Thanks for reading. Padme's not dark, but she does realize the benefits of playing along in this AU. Actually, she's not just playing along--she genuinely wants to keep her child (doesn't know they are twins yet) and she also wants to support Anakin even though he's a bit unstable right now.

rb657062: Thank you for reading. I will add you to the PM list.

Anakin_Skywalker20: Thank you for reading.

TNPredsFan: Thanks Preds! I appreciate hearing that from you because I know how much you like the two of them.

AP4EVER: Thank you--you're right--he is irrational and probably will be for some time. I will add you to the PM list.

lstevens: Thank you for reading!

Souderwan: Thanks for saying it was believable--that's always nice to hear.

21. Ladynaye

Ladynaye Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2005
    Sequel??

22. nobodys_angel

nobodys_angel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Dude, don't sweat the slowness! This damn plot bunny was eating me alive and it was just plain scary! I was DREAMING about the thing, I couldn't even get away in my sleep! I'm sure that when you get the next part posted, it will be stellar and you will get glowing responses. I wouldn't worry a bit if I were you!

23. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ?Of course, sweetheart. That?s the way it is with men. Once they have you entirely, they?ll lose interest. You must never allow a man to think he claims you completely.?

Good advice, but Padme's right - definitely doesn't work on Anakin! :p

I hope there's more! If Padme's completely given herself to Anakin, I'd love to see what the consequences of that are, for everyone. :D

And poor Obi-Wan, passed out on the floor. [face_laugh]

24. Shinar

Shinar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    update?

25. MoeTharen

MoeTharen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2005
    Ooooo...thscary thsuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.