main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    From Superherohype.com:

Production begins today in Atlanta for AMC's adaptation of the Robert Kirkman comic "The Walking Dead." The six-episode first season--written, produced and directed by three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) and executive produced by Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk)--follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, traveling in search of a safe and secure home after a zombie apocalypse.

More, including photos and an interview with Darabont here.

Those zombies look awesome. It looks like AMC will have yet another hit on their hands, if the source material and their current track record is anything to go by. I'm pretty excited.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oooooh, zombies!!! :D :D

Had to lol at one of the comments on the zombie pics. I thought it was Kevin Bacon too.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I've been keeping tabs on this. And these pictures are crazy cool. Anything from AMC is worth the time for me.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    This show is almost too good to be true. I've said for years an ongoing live action anthology about the survivors of a zombie apocalypse would be just what the genre needs. IMO the situation is a little less powerful when you know by movie's end that the characters will survive and everything will be alright. That's why I love the movies where everyone is screwed. However, a continuing series about the same characters helps eliminate some of that optimism that things will turn out, since technically there isn't an eventual endpoint to it. Its especially effective if they follow Kirkman's rules, chiefly that no one is safe, not even the main character. And if you read the comic, you find that indeed no one is safe.

Add in Kirkman's story (LOVE IT!) and Darabont as a producer/director (who did a very zombie-esque tale with the Mist) and you've got an incredible formula that I can't wait for. So far the pictures of zombies and makeup tests have been awesome. And on top of all that its being produced by a channel that allows mature themes, violence and gore, things that previous eliminated zombies from being done on Television without being really watered down.

I can't wait. :D

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Third pic from bottom looks like Zombie Jim Carey.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Darrabont=bad
    Hurd=good

It's a toss-up.

7. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Why is Darrabont bad?

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You mad??? Shawshank Redemption? The Mist? The Green Mile? Darabont is an awesome director. The only dark spot I can think of is The Majestic and I personally happen to like that movie.

Anyway: a first look at AMC's Zombie School!

I could not be more excited about this show. Be prepared to hear me shouting from the rooftops to get word out about it come October.

9. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Yeah I would rate Darabont's body of work very highly, and as I mentioned The Mist has many familiar elements demonstrating the knows how to handle similar material (the interactions of people & how they slowly destroy each other as the world goes to hell).

10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The Mist is very underrated.
    I always try to suggest ppl watch it.

11. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    The Mist is a guilty pleasure of mine. One of my favorite endings ever.

12. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    LOL. That's what I thought too.

13. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Agreed. Although I wouldn't feel guilty about liking such a good movie. The first time I saw it about a year and a half ago I immediately thought of Walking Dead and wanted Tom Jane to play Rick in a Walking Dead movie. Having Darabont create the TV show is the next best thing, if not better IMO.

14. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Why should The Mist be considered a guilty pleasure? Its a legitimately great movie.

Then again, I don't personally believe in the concept of guilty pleasures.

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Not because it's bad, because it's Stephen King.

16. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    ^^^ Was just about to post this. Looks good!

18. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    Let's just hope broadcasting standards won't neuter the show. The comic is great in that they're free to depict the absolute brutality of people who are forced to survive in a zombie infested world without flinching, but trying to bring that sort of graphic content to a wider medium is trickier. It's why things like the Punisher or Wanted can never be successful movie adaptations.

19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    and ollie is maybe the most badass dude ever.

20. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    The imagery so far has seemed pretty gruesome with the make up. They have Greg Nicotero working on it, whose famous for the more recent Romero Zombie make-up jobs all of which are full of gore.

And its on AMC which isn't held to the same rules as network television. That's freed them up to be a little more adult about the material. Look at shows like True Blood or Dexter on similar channels that are allowed to do what they want, to an extent. The material of those shows would certainly be a hard R.

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    A month or two ago Breaking Bad (also on AMC) had a dude get shot and his head just exploded. I wouldn't worry too much about what they can and cannot show.

I still kinda wish this was in Black & White but there's no way any network would air a non-color show at this point. Maybe it could be an option for the eventual DVD release?

22. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You can always take the color out of the tv set yourself.

As for censoring, I imagine the only thing they'll be toning down is the language, but that's obviously not a huge deal, as they can seemingly change only a few letters of a word and get away with swearing their heads off these days(BSG).

23. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    As much as it pains me to link to AICN, they have more pics. I especially love the one of Rick on horseback fleeing the zombies.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
  25. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh, that looks so good! :D :D

I adore the use of The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore. <3