main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If Negan had shot both Abraham and Glenn in the head and then claimed self-defence, I bet that council would be calling him a hero.

Boba_Fett_2001 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think this wins the Gold Medal for Most Brutally Violent Walking Dead moment. The runner ups are probably whatshiname being torn apart in the revolving door and Hersel being beheaded. But I think the extended brutality and the joy of the antagonist as he did it kicked it up a notch. Sure this was only head-violence but it was mushy head violence. Revolving door guy was torn to bits by mindless zombies and Hersel was, well, slightly less bloodier / messier (also The Governor didn't have as much palpable glee over the act as Negan did).

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Take it away, Aqua Teens.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    No, this was definitely the most gruesome moment in the show in terms of depicting harm to an actual character (rather than just walker gore). And I would say it's probably the most brutal character death I've seen in any show. At the very least, it's tied with *that* Game of Thrones death. It was more drawn out and more emotionally intense and mature in that sense as well, IMHO.

It's just that absolutely nothing in US law or regulations forbids that content on basic cable. Nor should it.

The only reason the FCC has any say over the content of Network shows is that those stations all get public funding (namely, they get to use airwaves owned by the public for free in exchange for carrying news broadcasts).

Basic cable networks are absolutely allowed to show as much gore, nudity, and have as much swearing as they like. The networks themselves have standards and practices divisions that set those rules. They're not set by the government and can't be for first amendment rules.

Basic cable nets have absolutely been lightening their own restrictions. For instance, FX allowed use of the phrase "mother****er" with no bleeping on The People Vs. OJ Simpson. I'd expect them to continue to loosen their internal restrictions, especially as they seek to compete with unrestricted pay cable as well as Netflix (which also doesn't have a standards department or any oversight of the severity of content whatsoever).

If these parents can't figure out how to use their own cable box's parental controls, then they should just stick to only getting over the air broadcasts of network shows in their homes. That content will remain regulated by the FCC, and hey, it's also free.

Juliet316 , BigAl6ft6 and SithSense like this.
  5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I agree. Parents have to know what's going on be in control.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Negan's character in the comic is constantly dropping F-bombs, literally ontop of each other in single sentences, and they actually film it (it's on the blu ray Season 6 for his final scene. Here's a comparison version, warning: F-bombs! A lot of them!) but AMC, quite purposefully, airs the non-F-bomb version. (It's an aspect of the character that is missing in the broadcast version and the Netflix version doesn't have the F-bomb laced one) Cuz God knows that you can show someone being brutally murdered but AMC has this weird "one f-bomb per season" rule or something (Breaking Bad had one per season). But a Walking Dead f-bomb hasn't made it to broadcast (Rick's line in Season 4 was "Screwing with the wrong people"). Some reddit posters theorized that if AMC went Full F-bomb Negan then they'd loose a sponsor.

I will say, it would be a little odd if nobody uses an F-bomb the entire run of the series and Negan shows up and would say it every single sentence, like he has a special power of knowing a magic f-bomb word or something.

7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    At least the uncensored version will be on the blu ray!

Also fans started a petition for Andrew Lincoln to get recognition for an Emmy!

8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Sponsor: "Glenn's arm twitching after his head has been turned to mush? That's fine. But if Negan says the F-word, we are pulling our support!"

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    This is me after watching the episode when "that happened":

[​IMG]

and "that other happened" and I was like:

[​IMG]

and after the show ended, I was like:

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

Rick ripping out a man's throat at the end of season four ranks pretty high, as does him and the gang dispatching the cannibals in season five.

Happier times...

11. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I would say that the only TWD death that possibly rivals this in terms of gore and brutality was Black Person #1 getting eaten alive in the prison after saving Carol.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Negan killed Maggie footage. Fake, real, alternate universe, does it technically count as spoilers if this isn't what happened? Some random comment on youtube says that every castmember filmed a "death" scene (and if you watch the episode, you DO see quick edits of "everyone" being killed by Negan's bat in Rick's mind) so probably legit.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I heard that they filmed a death scene at the hands of the Negan for every character.

I was hoping the death of Glenn was a dream or hallucination by Rick.

I'm glad the deaths wasn't spoiled for me as I don't read the comic books and stayed away from social media on Sunday until I saw the episode. And that's to DirecTV, I get the AMC East Coast feed.

I think it would have been better if they ended last season with this episode, especially since it was mentioned during the Talking Dead after show the next episode would be a total shift in tone, as it was said it would be "funny" or "fun." Something to that effect.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I too get the east coast feed, but on my regular Charter cable. So the show is on at 6pm here in LA... Which is pretty unusual for a show of that content.

And yes, obviously they filmed death scenes for every character, because those were in the episode. That's an extremely smart measure to take to thwart the spoiler hounds. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were script pages for each death version. That's what I would have done. Spoilers are the absolute worst.

You know what... Watching those, I actually think AMC might have done them a favor. I think the broadcast version is actually better and more menacing. Because without the swearing, Negan comes across as having this veneer of politeness and control over himself. Which to me is scarier than someone who swears a lot and may seem out of control.

It's sort of like how in The Wire, a show with a realistically massive amount of swearing, drug dealer robbing Omar, the baddest badass on the show, never swears. Not even once.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I was so terrified that they might have killed Abraham's Ex or That Guy from Alexandria. Thankfully they were spared. Whoever they are.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
  18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I'm all about dropping gifts no one asked for or wanted.

BigAl6ft6, TX-20 and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What do you mean you don't know who Aaron is?! He's a guy who does amazing impressions!

**Disclaimer: Ross is friends with my brother, so I really, really didn't want him to get kicked off TWD.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know, I always figured the guy who played Aaron was a better actor than TWD let him show off. Like his first two episodes he pops up in are freakin' great where he tapdances between nice guy and possible pure evil then he was just ... that guy. Anyway, let the actor off the chain and I'm sure he'll turn in some gold.

So for people who didn't read the comics, did you know Glenn was going to be A #1 on the Hit List? Cuz I figured the spoiler level of GLENN IS KILLED BY NEGAN had hit pop-cultural saturation up there with Kylo Ren kills his father Han Solo, Rosebud is Citizen Kane's sled, I see Dead People, Ned Stark gets beheaded, Luke I am your father, the narrator is Tyler Durden, Maggie shot Mr. Burns, etc. etc.

(this is also why Abraham being the first to go is such a good swerve because if you go into the episode thinking "Glenn is gonna git done!" and they kill of Abraham, in theory, you don't see the Glenn kill coming. Which is why it's so good with Negan's: "So. Back to it!" *smash*.)

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The "So. Back to it!" was the best moment. He is so deliciously evil.

jediknightleia and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

Yeah, he had an important and meaty role for a few episodes. I hope they give him more to do. He kind of has a connection to Maggie, so maybe that friendship will be explored more.

My bro and Ross met on a short film my brother shot years ago. Ross played a serial killer, but it was not a slasher/horror type thing. Rather, it was this subtle, creepy thing, and Ross was great. We knew he was going to succeed in the future. I'm glad TWD has given him more profile for future work.

As many of my friends here know, I am probably the world's biggest hater of spoilers, and very skilled at avoiding them. So no, I didn't know.

I agree that him killing Abraham first was brilliant, because I really thought that was it. I felt like they were going to be cheap and not actually kill one of the more original main characters, so Glenn's death was absolutely an utter shock. Very well done.

Having said all that.... Sorry, I don't think pretty much any big spoiler in the Comic Book world has nearly the pop culture pull and status of something in films or Harry Potter (one of the highest selling book series ever). Even amongst genre fans, only a small portion read comics. So no, I had no idea, but neither did my brother, who does read some spoilers.

Most people honestly know nothing about big comic stuff unless it winds up in a movie or show. For instance, I had many nerdy friends who had no idea that Cap had died in the Civil War comics. And that surely is a much more mainstream storyline than TWDs comics.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Tru dat, I just figured since TWD is such a cultural phenomenon that one of the series biggest spoilers, Glenn is killed by Negan, would just percolate to the outside verse before it happened on the TV. Cuz almost every article in the break speculating about who died basically said "in the comic, it was Glenn!"

Anyway, I think I'm more forgiving of Dumpstergate now because, as I thought back then, they were really laying the groundwork for the notion Glenn is invincible which in turn makes Glenn getting whacked more of a shock.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Maybe comic fans were really good about keeping it secret... Or aren't watching the show anymore and don't care :p

I've tried to place a hold on the first compendium of the comics. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for a copy to become available.