main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    He'd come after Negan with hook hands. Use your imaginations, people! ;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Manos: The Mangled Hands of Fate

JoshieHewls likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought that was a great finale, although they only adapted about 15 issues this season, and most of what was adapted it was condensed into single episodes (the Carl goes to the Saviour's camp was 1 ep, issue #100 was the second half of the season opener, the finale was about the last two issues of March to War). Personally, I see the need to have A) Rick be under Negan's boot for half the season B) they build up a resistance for the 2nd half. I still think the quality of the episodes is good but the overall arc is a bit slower, maybe this would have been a fantastic episode to drop in the middle of the Season 6B. But, anyway, complaint's aside, I still loved the ending of this, I was legit moved by Maggie's speech at the end (Lauren Cohan I've always felt is one of the show's secret weapons), and I was actually kind of 15% thinking Carl might actually buy it for a moment there (only because Chandler Riggs was saying on social media that he was free from his contract by now). And I thought Sasha's exit was pretty grand, last minute gesture for her to try to stop (and the flashbacks / flashforward time jumping between her in the coffin, her talking to Abraham and what she was doing at the Saviour's camp I thought was effective). Oh and Eugine saying "I am Negan" was a pretty awesome moment where he threw in on the Negan side.

To tie us over, everyone's favourite WD filler show (well, mine) is back as Fear the Walking Dead has been announced to return in early June, and crank out 8 episodes over 6 weeks (so that's two double-sized helpings of FTWD), go on a break, and then come back. It does sorta sound like AMC may be trying to burn FTWD off but, hey, I just take it as a double-scoop helping. (and it looks like it'll be paired with Preacher a few of those weeks, which is kind of awesome).

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It was a decent finale-I wish there had been a few more casualties though.

So does anyone think Eugene has betrayed Rick for good or is it a long con?

5. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I don't think it's a con at all. Eugene is with the group he thinks will keep him alive and on the winning side.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, Eugene has said multiple times that he is a coward just trying to survive, this is him surviving. Although, so far, he hasn't had to draw blood against his former friends, yet. That could be a bit of a thing if / when that happens.

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Finally got all caught up.

I ****in' lost it when the tiger jumped out. One of the funniest moments in the series.

Also gotta love how convenient it was that Sasha turned so quickly when it's already been well established that it takes several hours for someone to turn after they have died.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Turn time varies. Dr. Jenner said as much way back in season 1, and for the most part the show has embraced varying turn times.

BigAl6ft6 and Scapro Tyler like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, only about a month until we FEAR THE WALKING DEAD. for a 3rd season.

and it's already been renewed for a 4th! Really!

https://dailydead.com/amc-renews-fear-the-walking-dead-for-a-fourth-season/

AMC announced today that it has renewed “Fear the Walking Dead” for a fourth season, ahead of its upcoming season three premiere on June 4. In addition, Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg (“Once Upon a Time”) are boarding “Fear” as co-showrunners, starting with season four. Additionally, Scott M. Gimple, executive producer and showrunner of “The Walking Dead” will become an executive producer of “Fear the Walking Dead.”

10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Anybody catch Walking Dead issue #167 yet?

I have to say I have been pretty critical of Robert Kirkman's writing lately. He at times has a habit of writing a little too much into tropes and cliches. He keeps certain characters around long after their purpose in the story has passed simply because he likes writing for them.

However this was one of the most touching issues I have ever seen in the series so far. The character was my favorite character in the comic but by the end I was almost glad what happened happened simply because it was written so beautifully and it set things up for the future so well also

Reading a long ongoing series like Walking Dead is quite the experience. Some of these characters have been around since 2003 or 2004 and have become almost more than just pencil and paper. When they die it is weird to think that we won't be seeing any more of them when they have been around for that long. But that is the beauty of it. It's too bad that there aren't more long ongoing stories like TWD out there. It is really difficult to keep a series interesting for that long but when it does happen it is something special.

Rest in Peace Andrea.
    This surely will be one of the more memorable issues ever created for The Walking Dead.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm like 3 issues behind, ack! And I'm a coinflip if the show will ever get to the post-Negan arc, it seems like a natural endpoint for the TV series. But I would be totally okay if they did get to it. But we're talking 3 more seasons, at least, to get to where the comic is now.

12. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I imagine they will adapt it simply because the show makes too much money for AMC to end it after season 8. I agree with you though the end of All Out War would be a good time to end the series. I also am a little skeptical how the post All Out War time period would adapt to television. It's perfectly fine for a comic but given that for the most part it has been a lot of political storylines since issue 126 I am not sure if that would translate very well to the more action based tv series.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well Fear the Walking Dead came back and

dahhh! Killed Travis! Off in the first 2 minutes of the 2nd episode! Cliff Curtis is always a good actor even with a somewhat uneven character so he will be missed. But bonus point for how it happened and how random and meaningless it was. not quite like Glenn and Abraham where it led up to it but, bang bang, random shots through the helicopter, Travis is dead. Now, sometimes especially in FTWD they can skirt belivablity when it comes to surviving things, and it took me until the credits rolled to fully believe he wasn't just passed out in a tree somewhere. But the EP said this was going to stick so, wow.

I like the surviving castmembers just fine who have moments of greatness and they seem to be setting up like when Rick's crew landed at Alexandria but this one has more potential to go sideways. Also some decent gore in the opening episode too, eyeball violence and guy pulled through a wall by walkers, that was dope.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    So I saw most of this whole season. Mostly it was just sort of exhausting. This guy is super evil. Fine. I would have much preferred just beating him or losing and then moving on to the next thing. What else is there to say about this for an entire second season?

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well now they're actively, openly waging warfare against Negan, the last season was basically split into 6 eps under his thumb / 6 eps of covertly organizing a resistance and now it's All Out War.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sure but what's next? 6 episodes of war and 6 episodes about the uneasy post war reconstruction? Six more episodes of counter-revolution and then six more of re-re-evaluation of the conflict just passed? At some point you go beyond anyone's interest in hearing about a story. For me that moment has already come.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fear the Walking Dead mid-season finale was a few days ago (they're basically taking it off the air when Game of Thrones airs so it doesn't get crushed) and they really sped through it with 8 episodes in 6 weeks. The half season was actually kind of draggier than the usual FTWD or WD standards, which is really saying something, but the thing is I like all of the castmembers even if the scripts are kinda crummy. Salazar and Strand were probably only in 3 episodes total but I liked all of them (Salazar got an entire episode that was basically entirely in spanish with subtitles which, for a broadcast US cable network has to be some sort of record) and the Clark family are all decent thespians, especially Frank Dillane as Nick.

The Clarks found themselves on a survivalist compound with a drunken survivalist leader who talked a bit, but more folksy and not quite as murderous as Negan, and we were supposed to care for his kids (which I didn't), and they're being attacked by First Nations who want the land back. Definitely went on a bit long, HOWEVER, the last 8 minutes of the episode, complete with a very trippy cover of "Stand By Me", actually kind of made sitting through the 8 episodes worth it. Show's back September 10th and The Walking Dead is back Oct 29th so they'll probably burn through the remaining 7 episodes of FTWD pretty rapidly.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I think it was pretty good timing for Fear The Walking Dead to take a break to make way for Game of Thrones.

Madison is still proving not be really a likeable character (at least by my wife), but I think she's gaining respect in that Shane or Carol kind of way.

I suppose Madison brokered a peace between the ranch and the nation.

I didn't like Ophelia would betray the Nation as they took her in.

So, far this season of "Fear" has been pretty good. Can't say that it reached the same levels as The Walking Dead proper.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003

Do yourself a favor and stop the trailer at 4:39 minute mark. The scene at the end is equivalent to the Glenn Dumpster idea.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked that trailer, season looks zippier than the last one.

As for the 4:39 mark onward, potential Mega Super spoilers, seriously don't read at all unless you've read the comics or just want some spoiler-ing. Which I could be wrong, to be fair

That looks like post "All Out War" Rick where the story skips ahead a few years to the post-Negan society. I'm basing that on the size of Rick's beard / him walking with a cane which is what happens. Now, it does show that "All Out War" will conclude this season, however, I kinda doubt that this was a shot from the season finale. Because they probably haven't shot it yet. So maybe we'll get some flashforwards to Old Man Rick to frame the season / show where it's going. Cuz I'll double-down that is a glimpse of post-war Rick Grimes at the end.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I decided not to watch the trailer for the upcoming season. But I'll definitely be tuning in for the next season as soon as it airs as it has a tiger!

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fear the Walking Dead Season finale tonight! 2nd half of the season I feel has been stronger than the beginning. There was an episode with Alicia caught in a bunker that was actually one of the more ingenious usages of confined space / people turning into zomibes that I've seen on a Walking Dead show. But, yah, very compressed airing schedule (basically 9 episodes over a month) so that has helped the pacing. And next week is the Walking Dead premiere for some All Out War.

Oh and there was the Robot Chicken Walking Dead special that aired a week ago, and it was really hilarious, very dark, but they got all of the main cast (and dead ones!) to reprise their characters. And maybe one of I thought the most enjoyable Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes performances in years. This was probably my favourite

23. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    So any watch the new season episode?

Old man rick; flash forward ? Or dead? (Like the last supper scenes)

24. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Yeah. Was it any good? I missed it.

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It was very explode-y, all out war has commenced. Oddly more hopeful that most Walking Dead episodes as we can see Rick is dreaming about a new world. they just have to go through this whole war thingie.