main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The show definitely milked out every ounce of Carl's death. Weird delusion/dream with Neagan tending crops and saying hello to Judith, but Neagan did cook spaghetti for Carl and Judith.

I like Morgan going over the edge, again. However, this time, he's able to come back.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked Sunday's episode with the dark ending for Father Gabriel. Yes, this show almost entirely trades in dark endings but there's a difference between dark endings because walking dead world is horrible and dark endings because walking dead world is horrible but it actually has a thematic point. Small but important distinction.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    When the doc got shot, I said "of course" alloud.
    Tara being Tara. Don't like her. I understand where she's coming from, but it's ironic that bad guy turned good guy is not allowed to be bad guy when she followed the Governor. Everyone on this show is a hypocrite at one time or another. They constantly contradict themselves to serve the plot.

I'm at the point of hate watching / morbid curiosity even though I don't think anything will be resolved at the end of the season, but I need to see what happens/doesn't happen. One thing is for certain, I will be deleting the series recording after the finale. I'm done with this show.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, I've been hate watching was this season.

I don't like Tara either. She should have more compassion towards Dwight, especially since she was in a similar situation when she was stuck on Amazon island.

That was a big twist with Father Gabriel. I didn't see it coming, although I should have.

5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Out of sheer morbid curiosity, and also wanting to get it out of the way, I watched last night's episode already instead of putting it off. Since I no longer care about any of the characters, I view it as a comedy and I think the writers are as well. There were a lot of funny parts, especially the Negan/Rick dark basement walker filled room fight.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought the Simon V Negan: Dawn of Justice finale brawl in last night's ep was legit great

7. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Last week I said my goodbye to The Walking Dead via my blog post: https://3tnewsreviews.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-walking-dead-2010-2018.html
    Last night I said goodbye by watching the season 8 finale.
    My official goodbye will be after watching Chris Hardwick one last time in Talking Dead
    and I remove both series recordings from my DVR.

The season finale wasn't horrible, but it was at the same time.
    If Eugene didn't intervene, they'd pretty much all be dead. All the principles - dead. The only good people left alive would have been Tara and some "turned good" Saviors at the Hilltop. Anyone watching could have called it that Oceanside would save the day, which they did at the Hilltop. This made the most sense as they would not be at the main battle because they wouldn't know where that would be.

Back to the main battle, the Saviors had them dead to rights, they had the high ground ready to execute them firing squad style, but thanks to one person that Negan foolishly trusted, they lost the day. And we get ANOTHER Negan brawl. We just saw that with Simon last week and now Rick and Negan go at it.

And what was Rick's plan to stop him? His plan wasn't to kill him, but if Negan hadn't accidentally smashed the stain glass that was randomly hanging from a random tree near by, it wouldn't have given Rick the tool to stop him, so what was the plan? Rick was bleeding and hurt. Negan picked the spot, not the good guys. They didn't have a plan B. They were anticipating a trap, but did nothing about it.

And at the end of the battle Negan was alive? Hilarious. Maggie screaming and they save Negan from a small cut in his throat. I'm surprised they didn't intercut her screaming with shots of Glenn's head smashed in. Now it's civil war because the group has overcome all the big threats, now it's time for Shane 2.0 in Maggie/Daryl. Jesus was in the room, but he definitely won't be on board. He'll probably play both sides, hoping to resolve the conflict without bloodshed. (But doesn't matter to me because I won't be watching).

Good luck to everyone still watching. I hope you find the joy in the show that I can no longer find.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah when this moment happened in the comics, I honestly thought that was a TV series finale right there. I actually like Rick's decision to not kill Negan because he makes a point that bloodshed has to end and there has to be a different world. Also Rick has been really kill crazy the last season or so. It has to stop at some point and I do think Carl is a motivating factor for Rick's decision. It's a big, weird move for Rick to do but I like how audacious it is and a sign that the world could finally turn a corner, he just had to do something big like that.

The biggest twist was right into Fear the Walking Dead which is no longer a prequel but a sequel TV series! It's actually ahead of Walking Dead in the timeline now, that was unexpected. And I actually loved the colour which was toned down to the point of looking black and white and new characters (and Morgan who I liked a lot more in this episode of FTWD than on his last few WD eps for some reason). So they kept the Clark's back until the final reveal, which was also good and twisty. But, yah, the smooth transition from WD to FTWD was pretty seamless (and a longggg time airing without a bathroom break, like, almost 30 minutes from the end of WD to the first ad break on FTWD). But, yah, didn't see the prequel disappearing from the walking dead prequel, that was interesting.

However (probable Season 9 Walking Dead spoilers)

There's a time skip in the comics, and we saw it played out in the few Rick's flashforward dreams, so I'm guessing the show will jump ahead a few years in between S8 and S9 so Season 5 of Fear the Walking Dead would be back to being a prequel in between the skipped years

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Darth_Furio likes this.
  9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I would watch a spin-off with only Al and John Dorie travelling America looking for stories and a gal with a specific gun.

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The ending was all very nice and tied in a pretty bow with everyone seeing the light, like Oceanside and Eugene, to defeat Negan, but I can't shake the feeling that this season has been treading water a bit. Overall Negan is an excellent character, but I think the whole thing had run its course and it felt like like this and season 7 have blurred in to one. There have been some great moments in each, but a lot of slow ones too.

I don't follow the comics so I have no idea where it goes now.
    But in the last few episodes there was some intrigue with that helicopter briefly turning up and the unknown woman with the plans to rebuild, and then in the finale we saw Maggie, Jesus and Daryl plotting against Rick.
    I think they need to up their game a bit now, that doesnt mean start killing principles left right and centre either. Thats a cheap way out.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So Fear the Walking Dead killed off Nick Clark, which was a crazy move I didn't see coming cuz he is a core principal character, hell he's in the first damn scene of the show / shot. Got to see him have some good interactions with Morgan, though. And I am actually liking Morgan more now on FTWD than on that last season of Walking Dead, him being crazy got kind of tiresome but I like his sort of frustrated but still trying to be the non-killer stick master Morgan we all know. Overall the season seems to be splitting into a flashback/flashforward structure which I'm not sure they can sustain for the entire season but there's a mystery as to what happened to the Clarks that will play out. Knowing how walking dead likes to stretch things out, they might actually do it the entire season.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Rick becomes less of a presence in the later comics but it is kinda hard to do the show without him, I don't see Daryl Dixon really being a main leader although it would give Daryl something to do after, like, 3 seasons of background grunting.

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The show has been running out of steam for quite awhile now. For me, alot of the steam left when Glen was killed off.

With Lincoln leaving the show, I would tend to think the show will end at season 10.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    You'd think it would probably end at 10 seasons but also the comic and TV show are literally "the zombie movie that never ends" so I'd give it a 60/40 odds that the show doesn't stop if/when he leaves.

They could cut Lincoln down to a guest star role, once every 3 or 6 episodes, which would work with the next section of the comic.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fear the Walking Dead misseason finale aka We're Running Out of Clarks! Well, the big flashback to how the Clarks got separated happened and, actually surprisingly, matriarch Madison Clark died too! So a show that started as family drama in the zombie apocalypse over 4 seasons has killed off every family member it started with except for one. Pretty shocking and unless Madison had a fireproof dumpster somewhere, she's gone. Going to miss Kim Dickens but the basically all new replacement cast has turned out pretty well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I finally caught up on Fear The Walking Dead over the weekend, and at first I was lost with how this last season started because I thought I missed something from the previous season as it was non-linear story telling; which is usually a pet-peeve of mine, but it works quite well here. As such, it's one of the ways Fear has distinguished itself from The Walking Dead proper, as it approaches the story telling throughout the season from a different perspective; that of teasing and intrigue. Moreover, the flashback sequences have more color to them, as oppose to the present timeline with have a grayish hue, especially when Alicia (who gets a nice story arc in this season).

And the death of Madison was well done in the mid-season finale as it makes her character more likable and empathetic.

So yeah, Alicia is the only original character/cast member still alive prior to meeting Strand a few episodes in. And as such, another little distinction from The Walking Dead proper, where they been killing off "original characters" and moving the show forward, so it doesn't feel like it's on a treadmill. This season of Fear has been more enjoyable that The Walking Dead.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    well Fear the Walking Dead wins most improved if only because we get a lot more Morgan on Fear the Walking Dead as opposed to Walking Dead where a great character like him was getting lost in the shuffle. It really isn't a family Clark show anymore, they all be dead aside from Alycia. Also they had an interesting villain in the 2nd half of Season 4 who said saving people made them "weak" and they had to learn to survive. Great origin baddie cold opening she got too.

Anyway AMC is going full Walking Dead marathon bore for the season opener which they are loudly promoting as "RICK GRIMES FINAL SEASON!!" so much for it being a surprise. I guess Rick isn't going to die, though cuz you wouldn't promote someone was going to die if they did.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Or would you?[face_thinking]

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    So, I watched the season premiere of The Walking Dead, and I feel like I'm in for another season of hate watching. It just feels like the show is stuck with Negan and the Saviors being the nemesis of Rick's crew. Moreover, I feel like the characters don't have any room to grow or move into a different direction. Maggie has some promise this season, but everyone else is pretty much a dead end.

Additionally, this post war reconstruction story line doesn't intrigue me. The characters do seem to be that interested either.

22. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The show is I think on its last legs regardless of the change in the show runner and any improvement in quality. It will probably last only a few more seasons. Which in fairness is pretty respectable if it lasts a whole decade or a little bit more.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    It feels so good to have let it go. I understand the hate watching as I'm guilty of doing it myself last season as I felt invested with the characters I cared about, but I don't care about them anymore as none of them make good decisions.

Once Andrew Lincoln is gone I bet a lot of people will drop off like The Office after Steve Carrel left.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gegory's exit in the season opener was perfectly pathetic. I hate to the actor go even though Gregory does kind of the same thing all the time but he's great.

I think the show will end when AMC tells them to end, they could keep adapting the comic for very long time as what is being published now in the comic would probably be, like, Season 11 or 12 or something.

As for Rick Grimes potential exit - huge spoilers for what is to come based on the comic. nobody read!

The Whisperers state their claim on their land with a lot of heads on pikes, big ones are Rosita and the King. Considering the King was being all lovey, I think it's likely. But will Rick's head be on a pike? Nah, that seems really mean. I think maybe Rick will walk off into the distance and then, when they think they can live without Rick, then the Whispers put a bunch of heads on pike. But not Rick. Probably not.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Andy Lincoln with only 6 more shows on his contract

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Blobofat likes this.