main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
  2. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    A weekly zombie fix.
    to fill in when I'm not getting my weekly vampire fix.
    The End Times are truly nigh[face_love]

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The series premiere is going to be on Halloween. Awesome.

4. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Meh. So he wakes up in a hospital missing the start of all the chaos. They couldn't think of anything better than to copy the beginning of 28 Days Later?

5. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    It's what happens in the book. It's easy to think that the two might be similar but the similarities to 28 Days Later end there. Besides, Day of the Triffids used this trope back in 1951.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Its actually a remarkably effective way of dealing with a zombie apocalypse, first by bypassing the outbreak and getting to the apocalyptic world, secondly it sets up a plausible scenario for the inevitable exposition. The best zombie stories are those where the world's already gone to hell and we are learning to deal with it. And what's a better way to introduce the audience to this horrifying context then to have the character they follow throughout the plot be just as unaware of what's going on. Part of the horror and fun comes from someone trying to adjust to this radically different world they have woken up to. And so far all the material shown is still really early in the story (not sure how far they are adapting for the first series).

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm just bumping this for no reason. [face_whistling]

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Not gonna lie. I'm very excited for this.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not usually into zombie-oriented stuff, and AMC's latest series (Rubicon) is a bit on the... boring side. But Breaking Bad and Mad Men are still amazing enough that I'm at least going to give this a try.

10. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    I read a review of the first episode a few days ago. Apparently a poor quality screener was leaked not long ago. According to the review the show is extremely well done and that its just as good as some of the best zombie movies.

11. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    From what I've also read, I would have to say that I agree 100% with that assessment and dispute that it was really that low quality.

For some reason I hate the horror genre in almost every way but love Zombie movies. I've decided I don't like the super human zombies. I think an airborne and virulent strain of super rabies is both the most believable and scary.

And I know there have been studies on the best way for public policy to respond to a zombie outbreak, but I don't get why you would treat it like a hurricane instead of a tornado. The city is by far the worst place to even think of going, and the only reason I can fathom anybody wanting to go there is to show what a zombiefied city looks like as the most rural place imaginable where everyone would want to be leaves a little to be desired in the way of scenery.

My personal strategy would be to hunker down in place, especially if it were the mindless zombies. Basements seem especially useful in that regard. You can fill in the windows with soil and then fortify one door. Also have a safe room if they breach that entry. Now if they are clever then they will probably come through the ceiling. I'm lucky because we have a storage room full of food and water that is surrounded by cement. The door is just wood so that might be a problem, but it is a start.

Here in Utah I think I am especially well placed in the case of any zombie attack. Really the key would be for me to get out of the Salt Lake metropolitan area. Frankly the LDS church would quickly become the only real power, as the organization itself is already a world class disaster response team. I think people would try to shelter in the ward houses but have too strong of ties to their neighbors to defend themselves when the time came. But everyone has weapons and a year's supply of food in their basement, and then you have the LDS survivalist types who are already organized to try and lead people out of the valley. But we do have large amounts of military installations, but they already have plans to contain the major population centers should any biological agent escape the containment facilities to the west. So they would probably attempt to prevent the urban population from inundating rural areas. But if it is crazy super zombies, then I would flee over the mountains as soon as possible. And then it depends on whether zombies can survive freezing temperatures. I'm not great at cardio, but finding food shouldn't be that difficult and not something to be done often. Once in the desert, I would be far more concerned about roving biker gangs looking for an easy raid because of the generally exposed positions you would be in. It is also hard to know the ideal survival group. I think 200 is far too many, but being alone has its own dangers.

12. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i've been bored with zombie stuff for the last year or so, but i read through this series a few months back and it kind of astounded me. i think the source material coupled with what amc is capable of gives this real potential.

13. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I just programmed the TiVo!

14. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    Espala...something, you should read World War Z by Max Brooks. Easily one of the scariest books I've read in a long time. Gives good desxriptions of how people try to survive a zombie apocalypse.

15. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I'm feeling lazy so I just listened to about half of the abridged audiobook. Normally I'm against that sort of thing, but with the character interviews as chapters and people like Alan Alda narrating, it felt more like a long form radio series than a book. Pretty great stuff, and confirmed that rural areas of the Rocky Mountains can't be beat.

But really I think you need to understand what type of zombie you are dealing with as soon as possible. If they are relatively mindless and not airborne, then a strongly barricaded house is great. And through really aggressive public policy not really as big a threat. I am Legend and 28 Days Later types really leaves even the best planned public policy responses and protection plans really unable to cope. And then you are left with survivalist tactics, and the last place you want to be is any type of population center.

16. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I enjoyed it. Shows some very taboo things while maintaining sensitive to the characters' emotions.

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I got a hold of the screener, gonna watch it again tonight so I can watch it on a real tv and not my laptop. Gonna be watching this one again for sure.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i too am going to watch it again tonight. this is probably the most excited i've ever been for a new show. usually i don't discover shows until they've been on a while, and in some cases have already been canceled.

20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    This, pretty much exactly.

21. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Wow. The first episode was crazy good.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Is it just me or was his reaction to the first zombie he saw not extreme enough? It was more like "ew, a zombie" rather than "HOLY **** A ZOMBIE WHAT THE ****?" An undead apocalypse is not really the first thing one would expect to kill off people in a city.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't know. it felt like there was a part of him that already had an inkling of what was going on (he didn't open that door in the hospital), and also still a part of him that really didn't know wtf was going on.

24. DK_Corpse666

DK_Corpse666 Jedi Youngling

Oct 10, 2006
    I shall be seeing this. I love anything that has to do with zombies, plauges, and evil. [face_skull]

25. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Then you must love herpes.

a star war likes this.