main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Could have sworn Nicotero said there was more than one Walker that ate Lori last night, so maybe the others got away or got killed by Rick later.

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I am still left perplexed that walkers could consume bones and all of her clothing.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah it would have made a lot more sense if there were other Walkers. Perhaps the engorged one started and ate a lot, couldn't move, and then others came in and finished off the body. But it seems like this would still have left signs and more of a blood trail, etc. Still, it's easier to believe than one Walker doing all that.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hm, how well does a walker's digestion system work? I assume several hours have passed since Carl shot Lori, so maybe the walker found her pretty quickly and has steadily been eating and digesting her for some time. Or this particular walker got most of her and others only got bits and pieces, hence him being all fat and the others presumably walking elsewhere.

[face_sick] btw. This whole discussion. :p

5. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't think they digest. They just consume. At least I can't recall their being any precedent for digestion.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well they get hungry, but I'm not entirely sure how they're meant to be absorbing anything from what they eat, no. Really this is one of those broad zombie fiction things that just sort of has to be accepted. Definitely not unique to this show.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    The imagery is there for you to think that the zombie was Lori for a second. The blood trail led up to the body of the zombie with the huge belly full of Lori. It pulled her into the corner and went to town on her. It's meant to give you a couple seconds of wtf is she alive/a zombie.

8. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't think its hunger so much as a baser instinct to consume, since they rely almost entirely on lower brain function.

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, yes, obviously. You worry it'll be zombie Lori until you see her and realize it's not. But even once it was clear it was a zombie who'd eaten at least part of her, it still doesn't make sense because it couldn't have done so alone.

10. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    And the bones...where are the bones?!

11. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It's a tv show. Zombies could have bone chewing acid saliva or something stupid like that. They obviously did a poor job with that scene.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  12. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    That feels like such a cop out answer.

13. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It is but without more what else can I say? The guy who directed the scene said the zombie ate her. He did a poor job of conveying that.

14. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    Yes he did. I am just tired of having to make excuses for this show when they can't be bothered to try to think things through.

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The vast majority of things that don't make sense in this show don't make sense in any zombie story. Which is why I tend to shrug them off.

16. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I don't recall any past instance in this show or other zombie mythology where they consume the bones and entirety of the clothing. T-Dog's remains weren't consumed in their entirety. It just seems too inconsistent to be a mistake, or such a glaring mistake that its suspicious glaring.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, I think it's stupid, too. I'm just saying on the whole I really can't think of much that has seemed incredible in this show v. general zombie fiction. This is kind of the only one that I can think of, actually.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Buttt also remember that they said a couple of episodes back that zombies do die eventually if they don't eat. So that's something else to keep in mind for future zombie obesity problems. But really I think even though it makes no sense for that zomb to have eaten all that, there's 2 things to consider - 1. they did a damn good job making something a bit shockingly unsettling/startling, at least for me (esp. considering the desensitizing this show does) and 2. we don't know exactly how much time passed after her death and rick getting there. It seems like it was immediate, but looking back on it there were no indicators of the time frame. That zomb could have just been eating at her over the course of a while. Although that still seems like a stretch.

ALSO:

Another thing maybe more likely that I just thought of...we saw the phone call as if it really happened. Who's to say the lone zombie isn't also just an exaggerated delusion of Rick interpreting the situation?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It doesn't make sense for dead, rotting things to have a functioning digestive system, since it's clear that their hearts aren't beating and they're not breathing and they don't have immune systems. :p

MrZAP and Darth_Deception like this.
  20. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    The phone is part of what is making me think that there is more than meets the eye to Lori's absent possibly consumed body and the streaky trail of blood. I am wondering if they are trying to mislead the audience as clearly they are picking up the delusional Rick talking to his dead wife on the phone storyline and make us think that there is a possibility that she is still alive. I doubt she is given the extent of her wounds, even if Carl didn't finish the job properly, but they've left it so vague that I can't help but wonder if there is something else going on.

It also makes me wonder why they are burning through storylines so quickly. I feel like they need to expand the cast soon or they are going to run out of people and I am wondering if they are trying to get to Washington sooner. Which would be a shame to rush the Woodbury/prison plot.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The 'burning through storylines' deal maybe in response to the criticism from last year that things at the farm were 'moving too slowly.'

22. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    That's precisely what concerns me. Some things are worth taking your time to explore. Perhaps not at the speed of the farm but the prison was a long storyline and they are already exploring elements from beyond the prison. They are also burning through the cast pretty quickly.

I am worried they are overcompensating.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I have faith in their storyline planning until they decide to kill Rick. Then I'll panic.

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I doubt the zombie ate the bones. It looks like Lori's body was dragged around, and the blood trail went past where the zombie was sitting. They are probably just around the corner or something. The director could have shot that scene a little better, but otherwise another fantastic episode.

25. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    yeah. the interesting thing to me is, I thought the room was closed off- and a tiny little maintenance room that zombies probly wouldn't have gotten into (although there is past precedent for them opening doors and being curious, so.... but I tend to disregard that lol). Then when Rick got there the room seemed a lot bigger. Regardless, clearly if one zombie got in, many could have gotten in (and many were around that area as we saw when they found it initially and when Rick goes on a rampage to find it later). Just because we only see one zombie does NOT, by any means, mean that that's the only one who ate her. And just because we've only seen zombies feed in one location before does not mean they don't take their meals to go sometimes, especially if they're fighting over food, though we've never really seen that.

This is a classic example of spoon-feed vs. under-conveyance. It's frustrating to me sometimes when audiences want/need every piece of info to be handed to them on a elementary level. In this case, it's not necessary to explain everything. The only important things happening were Lori dying and being eaten and Rick's reaction. It doesn't matter how she was eaten or by how many walkers (lurkers?/!). It simply doesn't. You can and have filled in the blanks satisfactorily already. However, would it have been difficult to throw a couple extra zombies in there? Is that laziness on the director/writers' parts? Maybe take the extra second to show more. Then again, perhaps they were reaching the limits of their budget for that episode. Also, they probably didn't want to show Lori all eaten up...... I just think that would be very tough and one of the tougher things the show would have done at this point. Anyway, like I said, it doesn't matter.

Darth-Lando and Juliet316 like this.