main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Herpes zombies are the worst.

2. DK_Force85

DK_Force85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2006
    Seriously, what could be worse than being a zombie? Being a zombie with herpes. 8-}

But this show does look awesome. Does anyone know if AMC puts their shows on their website for streaming? If not, I hope they re-air tonight's show, cause I didn't think to set up the DVR ahead of time.

3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    Don't reply to my posts please.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Two words:

BOOM! HEADSHOT!

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Dear Frank Darabont and Robert Kirkman,
    It has come to our attention that you are hoarding the compound known as awesome. We need it for other things as well, like good hygiene and Weird Al, so we'd appreciate it if you shared it a bit more.
    Sincerely,
    The World

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    I laughed. I cried. It totally changed my life.

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    You misunderstand. They aren't hoarding it. They own the patent.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Last night's premiere was huge for AMC. The show won it's timeslot with 5.3 million viewers, was the most watched premier of any show this year, and was the most watched show ever on AMC. Next week can't come soon enough.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I normally don't like zombies, but this show is awesome.

10. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Wow that is alot of viewers! I was one of them lol.

11. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    I see that released screener really destroyed the ratings for this thing. See internet, this is why we can't have nice things.

;)

12. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I for one waited until the premier.:p

And then I watched the encore.:D

13. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Maybe it was because I watched this at 4 AM, but I found it rather boring. The FX were great, but seriously by the 3rd headshot I was like *yawn*

It did pick up towards the end though, and I will continue to watch it and give it another chance to capture my interest...It took me 3 tries to like BSG.

14. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Never have I been more terrified of zombies.

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I especially loved how they put the humanity back into the zombie apocalypse. Between Morgan's heartwrenching decision to snipe his late wife, and the "I'm sorry this happened to you" scene....they arent just monsters.

You dont really get that in a lot of zombie films. At least not with that much heart to it.

16. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    You mean the chained up zombie with enabler isn't a heartfelt scene of love? ;)

Usually you are too busy running from your dead best friend/wife/child to think too much about the emotional connect, but I agree that it was an under explored theme. World War Z used it though as a cause of the spread, which is understandable.

I wonder how often they can explore that though. I'm completely unfamiliar with the Comics and don't really want to be spoiled, but I gather it is rather grim, so it sort of makes me wonder about the future. Frankly in shows like Jericho and Lost, one of the things that bugged me was that I guess the story of survival isn't that interesting for very long so they have to move on to other things. And it seems everything about Robinson Crusoe can be summed up by giving him a beard and then getting him into fights with natives and pirates and such. Castaway of course did the best job, but its not like we have a case of Tom Hanks in the back we can pull out to carry these movies or TV shows. But I guess with Zombie movies it works better because instead of warding off starvation, you have waves of undead.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Without spoiling, let me say that if the show is anything like the comic there is really only one rule to live by: No One Is Safe. The book doesn't pull any punches and no character is off limits from death, zombification, or worse. It is a series where everyone suffers and can be quite bleak at times.. The conflict arises not just from zombies, but from the survivors themselves.

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    we definitely saw a bit of that this week. the episode seemed really short, but i think that just means that i'm really sucked in. it should really start to hit the fan next week, when presumably rick will be reunited with his wife and son.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't get it. They can open doors, use tools, bend down, crawl, even climb over fences, but ladders completely confound them?

20. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    they aren't exactly adept at all those things though. ladders require a level of coordination that they don't quite possess as far as i can tell. though they were starting to climb at one point when rick and glenn were fleeing.

21. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    A friend of mine recommended this show so I watched it last night, and I must say I was not let down. Now I'm looking forward to the next episode. And that moment where the cop goes through the zombie's wallet was quite touching.

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, I really wasn't a fan of when I saw the zombie with the big rock trying to break the doors to the department store. I personally don't think they should be that smart. At the moment, the non-comic characters just seem like unlikable zombie fodder to me. Merle isn't exactly a paradgim of humanity though so it could just be his character who I dislike so much.

23. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Love love love this show!

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it seems hard to fathom that merle could get out of his current predicament, but at the same time leaving him that way probably means that he will.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Also, I gotta admit that in addition to a more "realistic" plotline regarding the characters and their reactions I was hoping for a more plausible explanation of the zombification rather than something that seems almost purely supernatural and stereotypical. For example, bite-based transmission is a really bad way for a disease to spread (just ask rabies) and should be relatively easy to contain. I mean, in reality the CDC would have more trouble with a smallpox outbreak. Another thing is that the zombies are apparently rotting, even though they have (limited) brain function, muscle function, use of their senses... all of which should require bloodflow. And really, if they're rotting, the Georgia climate should take care of them so all the characters have to do is wait a few months at most. :p