main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Totally agree with all three of your points but especially this one. When Carol wanted a female zombie to practice a C-section on, they killed it but ignored the 3 right next to it. Glenn even went so far as to draw them away so Carol could safely retrieve the female. Why didn't they just stab the other 3 through the fence then and there?

Darth_Deception likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Exactly. That's the scene that made me start thinking about basic rules of conduct for Zombieland, as distinct from the rules of conduct from Zombieland, which were also pretty good.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I wondered about that too. Glen should be smarter than that.

I don't think that's necessary since clearly someone was already spying on Carol through a scope.

Lori doesn't even know Carl ran off to the infirmary. Then doesn't go after him when he runs off. I kind of feel they have to be playing off the fact that last season every fan wondered why the hell no one was keeping track of the kid.

Also speaking of Lori and her warnings of safety, blowing into Herschel's mouth was the stupidest thing anyone's done on this show yet. Not to mention that part probably did nothing because that's not even the important part of CPR. In the zombie world absolutely no one should do this, ever.

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks like someone needs to update the TV Trope page for CPR: Clean, Pretty, Reliable. :p

MrZAP likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Admittedly not the brightest thing Lori's ever done (although I wouldn't go far as to say the stupidest, that would probably be lying to Rick for so long about her affair with Shane or leaving Carl unattended), but has it been established in this series that just putting one's mouth to a walker/potential walker will turn one into a walker? I mean, personally I would assume that if they haven't reanimated/not quite dead yet, or have already had their brains blown out, that if you didn't have a cold sore or other wound on your mouth that placing your mouth on a dead body's lips, while not the smartest or sanitary thing wouldn't be fatal in The Walking Dead universe.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    That should be a rule in a post zombie world. Never, ever under any circumstance, no matter how much you love them...give CPR....ever.

7. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Has anyone been playing the Walking Dead video game? There's a CPR moment in Episode 2 that has a very different result.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well he could have turned and bit her. And if the mouth carries so much bad stuff once they do then you might not even need that.

I see the function of the virus and going full blown when you are bit or die as sort of like HIV turning into AIDS. You get the symptoms and become much more contagious yourself.

9. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I wouldn't be surprised if he survived, though that was a little more ruled out because of the screams, but I was leaning more towards
    after rick absorbs the prisoners into the group, the one really seemingly nice prisoner being a sick and twisted murderer while they blame it on the big dude that rick doesn't seem to like because he doesn't take crap- who may or may not end up being a jerk and trying to take back the prison, anyway- like in the comics
    . That was really messed up of Rick, though. In the comic, almost everything Rick does is defensible in a relatively major way. The best I can come up with is Rick had, in the moment, been convinced that all of the prisoners were terrible people and a huge threat that needed to be eliminated, but still... that dude did nothing. He ran away in fear, which was completely understandable. Rick cold-blooded killed him in a pretty awful way, allowing him to be eaten alive- and rubbed it in with a "better run" comment. Then he's a straight jerk to Lori, even given what she did at the end of last season... the Rick I know is a good man. This dude is all grays. In the comic, you at least knew he would do whatever he could for whoever he could in order from his wife and kid, who he LOVED- clearly, down. When he was in the room with errbody when Herschel wakes up, I was thinking, "there's not much stopping this dude from just killing anybody at any moment." This episode definitely left me a little cold in how much it's messing up the awesomeness that was the prison in the comic.

edit: 1morthing: it's funny how everybody is crushing lori for CPR but it worked.. I mean I agree to an extent, but here, the ends justify the dangerous means. but yeah I ain't tryna kiss no zombies dog.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The only reason I think Anthony might have survived is because we didn't see him get eaten or turned. Thus far on this show with the exception of Jim and Sophia's death/turning we've pretty much seen them all die or with the case of the guy Shane killed in Better Angels and turned, it was heavily implied once they were behind the tree.

and Merle doesn't count as we'll see him in next's episode.

11. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    I can't believe I clicked on that spoiler. That was a legit spoiler, but now I'm excited!!!!!!! And I agree- I could see that going down... especially cuz that's too many prisoners wasted right off the bat. we'll see. if so those screams were mean. I'm still leaning towards my feeling about the other two.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Whoops, I've edited to make it clear it's not simply spoilery speculation, but an actual one.

As for the screams... Well considering my former sister - in - law used to chase my younger sister around with a Chuckie doll, I could easily buy Anthony both screaming in terror AND running at the same time.

13. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    It's cool, dude. and yeah I get it- I'm just saying it's mean. :p that place looked pretty hard to get out of, too. If I see it again I'll have to watch closely as they show it.

I wonder if Lori and Rick will reconcile.
    especially before/if she dies

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    When Lori was giving Hershel CPR I was thinking boy this is it...he's gonna rip her face off. Total disappointment.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When Lori was giving CPR I was thinking "That is not the recommended way to administer CPR. Its all compressions now, which would be safer since you don't have to worry about him biting your face off if you're not breathing into his mouth."

But Lori is stupid so I would not expect her to be up to speed on current recommended CPR practice. Hell, I'm not even up to speed, this was the recommend way the last time I checked, which was a few years ago.

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Decided to get a bit up to date and checked the American Heart Association website. Here's what they had to say about using traditional (compressions with breaths) CPR:

3. Are there times when I should use conventional CPR with breaths?
    Yes. There are many medical emergencies that cause a person to be unresponsive and to stop breathing normally. In those emergencies, conventional CPR that includes mouth-to-mouth breathing may provide more benefit than Hands-Only CPR. The American Heart Association recommends CPR with a combination of breaths and compressions for:
    • All infants (up to age 1)
    • Children (up to puberty)
    • Anyone found already unconscious and not breathing normally
    • Any victims of drowning, drug overdose, collapse due to breathing problems, or prolonged cardiac arrest

So I guess,one could make the case that maybe Lori was doing the correct CPR after all. Still not the brightest thing in the world given the situation.

17. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think the mouth to mouth situations described here apply to the situation in the show. Let us all agree that if all the characters were CPR experts they would have stuck to compression only CPR.

solojones likes this.
  18. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Correctly administered CPR should result in the exchange of approximately 1/3rd of the air in the lungs, which if someone wants to play with the math means it will take hours for the build-up of CO2 to become enough to prevent oxygenation of the blood. Mouth to mouth only should be given to those people that have a regular heart beat but irregular breathing, or for whom full pressure compressions are not as possible (younger patients whose ribs and sternum are more likely to crack/break). These recommendations changed in 2005 yet TV shows continue to show 'traditional' CPR even by medical professionals. Annoying.

Initially after Herschell being bitten I was all for him to not make it, but looking at it now it provides 2 things: i) that it's possible to survive being bitten, which changes the dynamic for injuries; and ii) they now have someone that is kind of important to their group and is majorly disabled which changes how they can move as a group.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, that's what I was saying. She didn't even need to be breathing into his mouth. But in the zombie world, the CPR guidelines should extra just say DON'T BREATHE IN THEIR GODDAMNED MOUTHS

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Great introduction to the Governor tonight. Not sure I like Michonne yet. She seems even more brooding here than in the comics.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Okay, so dude kills all the military guys so he can stock on extra weapons and supplies. Would it not be a better idea to just bring them into the community and have additional bodies for protection?? I guess we'll find out what exactly his motives are as the season progresses but I'm just a wee bit confused.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Boba, I think the idea behind the killings is these are military trained personnel. These 7 or 8 guys could potentially come into town and take over his operation. Or at least that is my opinion.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, good to know that if Liam Neeson doesn't want to make Taken 3, the Governor can step in between seasons. ;)

24. hear+soul

Nov 5, 2004
    The idea is the governor is a sick and twisted individual. And more bodies = more mouths to feed + difficult to keep in line, especially given what Rox said. btw, was anyone else disappointed the heads weren't obviously still alive? And no "27 different channels; still nothing good on" or however the line goes... sucks when they don't capitalize on the things that would be easy to do and would make things more awesome.

25. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I was disappointed at the absence of his daughter. Hopefully in the next episode?

MrZAP and Darth_Deception like this.