main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Beth boo hoo! What a great actress! What a loss! #sarcasm

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Crazy stupid Beth died the same way she lived: crazy and stupid.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    lol you're saying this now at Season 5? I accepted this show for what it is ages ago.

4. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    What the hell was Beth's expectation for the use of those scissors?

5. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I beth you didn't see that coming.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith-Lord-Gunray like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

To inflict pain on Dawn.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I guess this means that Judith will never get her full time babysitter back. Tyrese just got promoted from part time.

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

No, I've been an adamant voice for the constant disappointment of this show since Glenn Mazzara took over beginning of Season 2, which spent too much time piddling on the farm looking for a character who was there the whole time. Season 3 improved, but had a terrible ending that had me question why this guy was still in charge. Now that Scott Gimple is in charge I've liked how he has handled the course of the show overall though there were some bumpy spots. The show in Season 5 past the Hunters material has been a massive waste of time, something that seems to go hand in hand with not following the comic. The show has nearly always had problems, and it's never really lived up to the promise seen in Season 1. 4-5 episodes in a row that give us so little like these newest ones have does not fill me with confidence and makes me want to quit watching.

If Gimple doesn't show some serious improvement to the course of the show for the next half season, yeah I'll have had enough.

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    They should hire the writers at TellTale Games. Their Walking Dead game series is incredibly emotionally gripping.

10. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Not shocked by last night's episode - we all had a feeling someone would die, but just didn't know who. That being said, I do my best to avoid spoilers, so I was surprised by what happened - especially since it looked like Beth was going to get away. I guess I should have seen it coming since she hid the scissors in her cast....

I hope EK does more acting - her Beth character was quite nuanced - both vulnerable & tough at the same time, which is a difficult dichotomy to pull off well.

Other than TWD, she was in an episode of the K. Bacon drama The Following earlier this year...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It shouldn't be surprising that after all this time Beth was still clinically depressed and a suicide risk. And she was never going to have a better opportunity than this one to commit suicide by cop.

12. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I feel so bad for Maggie though. To find out that you have a sister and then to lose them within the span of hours must be brutal.

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm pretty sure she knew what Dawn's reaction was, and she didn't want their messed up system to ruin anyone else's lives. Beth has always been a bit of an idiot but with traditional moral intentions.

Ender Sai and JediTerminator like this.
  14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    This episode made me think of that awful season on the farm, when we watched countless hours of the group searching for Sofia (while Lori pawned Carl off to this person or that person and got into inexplicable car accidents) only to find out that she'd been on the farm the whole time. Almost, you know, pointless. Not just for the characters, but for the viewers as well.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  16. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Beth really wasn't that bad. It's not like she was Lori, Andrea or Shane.

17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I liked Beth. [face_dunno]

Anyhow, this show has never been able to have two great climaxes a season IMO, and they should stop trying. It either has a great mid-season finale and a weak actual finale (Seasons 3 and 4), or a great actual finale and a weak mid-season finale (2 and 5?).

18. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    But the season four finale was brilliant...

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That's harsh

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Thanks for that insightful commentary Lego-lass.

AMC managed to spoil Beth's death which promptly a veritable poo-storm on social media. Nice work, guys.

Season 2, FWIW, lost pace and purpose because they cut the budget and Darabont walked.

21. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

"Let me get that loose thread on your collar, Dawn. Oooops..."

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    How the hell did those scissors get at that angle?

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    When you stab someone with an object that light/delicate with little sharpness, it's probably not going to go too far in...more than likely it just got lodged in her clothes and shifted to the side. You should try it out sometime and see.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Beth, and the actress, definitely got better and more interesting as the show went on. Her death is one of the last "innocents" of their original lives, and she kinda went out mired in the muck of what the world has become ("I understand now." *stab*). The long form of Walking Dead is Rick and Carl live (and Michonne. and probably Daryll and maybe Carol) in the long run but everyone else dies. Her death, while kind of unexpected and cheap, does serve to make walking dead be the Walking Dead. Hope and happiness can and does exist in the world but it's fleeting. Good people don't last. And those left behind, like Maggie, are made to suffer.

Still, yeah, some of the responses are kinda mean. Photo kinda made me chuckle, though, because it was so morbid.

JediTerminator and 07jonesj like this.
  25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I have never expected this show to be Breaking Bad or Mad Men, and I think the people who hold it to that standard are absurd and should quit watching. I accept the kind of show it is so I've never been nearly so harsh.

It's an entertaining and usually suspenseful show that has occasional flashes of brilliance when it gets to examine the human condition in a unique way. Though, as has been pointed out, the game is even better at this... But let's also keep in mind that's a totally different story format. Segments can be as long or short as desired. You get added moral weight because you yourself have to make split second decisions with large ramifications. So I don't even expect the show to do that. It's still on the whole an above average drama (if you actually look at all dramas, not just the good ones most of us nerds watch and are spoiled by ;) ).There have been excellent examples of moral complexity and stakes on the show. And I can see that was what they were going for here.

But having said that, and as someone who is easy on writers... Yeah, this Beth and Dawn story just wasn't that. I literally found myself completely tuning out of their conversations to the point where their exchange at the end meant nothing to me and just confused me. I was still surprised by Beth dying to some degree and I don't hate the character, but I just found the whole cop group too fake to care about.

I will say, though, that I teared up on Daryl and Maggie's reactions to the death. The writers at this stage don't have to make me care about those people because I just do, and that's good. And I liked Beth way more than someone like Andrea or Shane. I just didn't really like the hospital storyline. The character could have had the same ending just in a scenario with someone more believable than Dawn and her posse and I would have bought in a little more. As it was, I found myself kind of tuning out of her story until the end. And I'm not someone who needs to be entertained nonstop by action or something.

Will be interested to see where they go now. This is probably the most open-ended mid season finale.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.