main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Like Rocky in Rocky III. The Alexandrians' are having a hard time adjusting from a lavish lifestyle into a violent world. Same can be said for Ricks group except, reversed.

Also glad to see Abraham step up. I like his character & didn't want to see the writers do to him what they did to Tyrese. Take an interesting character & waste his potential.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Alexandria has had to scavenge and face zombies for as long as Rick's group has. And the time Rick's group spent at the farm and the prison was essentially no different from life at Alexandria, save for the running water and electricity. Everyone alive in this world who has to leave a protected area to search for supplies should have essentially the same set of survival skills at this point, otherwise they would not have survived.

3. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    Maybe not if the bravest among them keeped getting left behind to die by the cowardly.

Did they ever establish how long Alexandria's been set up? I can't remember.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Amazing episode yesterday:

-Didn't see Noah's death coming - very sad.

-Glad to see Eugene finally man up - liked how he distracted the walkers by playing the music in the van.

-The scene when Aidan was being eaten by the zombie's was truly grotesque; though the guy started out as a jerk, by this episode you could tell he had a lot more respect for Glenn & the others. Quite harrowing scene. Re: this sequence, I can see why Glenn tried to help Aiden, but I don't see that he was going to live through his serious injuries - even if the zombie's hadn't gotten him....Aiden looked fatally injured.

-Interesting to see how Carol somewhat bond with that kid re: the cookies; didn't see that coming.

Like others, I'm guessing the following will happen in the next two episodes:

- Deanna & her husband will be skeptical that Glenn & Eugene's group didn't take Aiden out, re: the confrontation in an earlier episode. I'm also thinking that Aiden's "buddy" Nicolas (the guy who left him behind) will lie & say Glenn did something to Aiden, since they justifiably had to beat him up re: him trying to leave them at the compound. I'm also thinking Deanna may believe this guy more than Glenn/Eugene, since Rick's group are still considered outsiders.

- Rick will have a confrontation with Pete, and I think I know how it's going to end up. Pete is obviously disturbed, and is a powder-keg waiting to happen. I'm guessing he didn't see Rick kiss (or try to kiss) his wife at the party, or he would've reacted violently towards Rick - maybe. Also, it's obvious Carol is more sensitive to Pete's possible/alleged abuse, due to her own personal, past experience.

Souderwan likes this.
  5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I had a similar issue with last night's episode. But I got the impression that their code is to run--to let the group survive by sacrificing the individual(s) when necessary. It's consistent with everything we've seen from that community to date, including the quip "I guess the Communists won after all" (which made me laugh). One can argue about the wisdom of that code, but it is absolutely a code, nonetheless.

But what bothers me about the whole thing is that they seem to lack any basic skills for handling roamers/walkers. My guess is that we're meant to accept that only a very few normally venture out and that the vision of expansion is what has driven this recent contact with roamers.

Edit: On Pete, I rather think Pete saw the attempted kiss and took it out on his wife. If he is an abuser and his pathology is consistent with other abusers, he likely won't confront a man (Rick) unless he absolutely has to.

BigAl6ft6 and Jabbadabbado like this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    My impression is that Alexandria has had their doors closed for a long time and they recently started to recruit when they starting losing people on supply runs and realized that they were not equipped for the outside world. Just because you may have the same amount of experience doesn't mean you have the same amount of success. Because of Rick's leadership ability's Deanna can see that he must be an effective leader if he was able to keep his large group alive so long without the comforts of and lack of threats to Alexandria.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    It seems quite believable to me that the vast majority of Alexandrians would be pretty clueless when coming up against Walkers.The show's established that they'd cleared an area of 53 miles around Alexandria, but I get the impression that's a very select group of people like Aidan, Nicholas, Eric and Aaron. The regular schmucks like Pete, Deanna, her husband and construction dude probably haven't seen much of the outside world since the ZomPoc happened. Eric and Aaron (well, Aaron mainly) seem quite capable and suitably traumatised by being beyond the walls. Then you've got Aidan and Nicholas who've survived by leaving people behind whilst they escape.

Royale w/ Codeine likes this.
  8. Royale w/ Codeine

May 19, 2014
    I know. Some of Rick's group survived solely by the fact that they were... in Rick's group. Imagine the most capable slowly being decimated & the clueless having to step up. I mean... that is the whole they were recruited, is it not.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Both death's in this ep were somewhat graphic especially the last. It's as if they've kicked the budget up a little.

Solid episode though

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I also think that if their basic rule when confronted by walkers is to flee, then it makes sense that Alexandrians (even the ones that venture out) have basically no idea how to effectively handle the undead. Sure, they have guns, but other than that, they're pretty much useless.

Souderwan likes this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    The people of Alexandria has definitely been living in a bubble. Their response to flee is as natural as the response to fight. They're the case that fits "the meek shall inherit the earth." However, they invited Darwin's theory into their walls and the meek will have to give way to the fittest. Which Gabriel views as the false light that will destroy the paradise that is Alexandria. It's sad and somewhat ironic that the priest would be the Judas to Rick's crew and have them cast out of the Garden of Eden so to speak. Also, that comes from a man that would allow his sheep to perish outside his church walls.

I was bummed about Noah's death, especially how it happened; from a coward's actions and the rules Alexandria.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked how they bumped off two characters on a random "supply run" because those had a tendency to start to become sorta "oh, hey, zombies, whatever" *stab* but everyone once in awhile you should establish that the zombies are a threat, especially if you're with a group that has no idea how to handle them. Team Grimes isn't inept but other people screwing up can cost them their lives.

I hope Eugine isn't a stone-cold zombie killer from this point out. Because I kind of like that he's a wimp. Team Grimes can carry one wimp, they can't carry an entire town of 'em.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Everybody Ate Chris.

14. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Now that Noah is dead, maybe Morgan will finally show up. #balance

Boba_Fett_2001 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Still wishing that Michone and Carl had just left Gabriel to get eaten by the Walkers outside the church. He's like the new Andrea in that they both think they're so righteous but, really, they're just unbearably annoying.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, (mild comic spoilers)
    the difference being show!Andrea is way worse than comic!Andrea, while Gabriel is pretty much the same in both mediums. That scene calling Rick's group Satan in disguise was almost word-for-word from the comic.

So with Andrea they took a good character and squandered her, while with Gabriel they took a not-so-good character and haven't really added anything to his story. If you disliked him here, you'd dislike his comic appearance as well.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Thanks, Ale.

19. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    So Rick .. he's lost it. I can't tell if his craziness it due to PTSD, or letting go of being in charge, or not being able to accept he can't kill zombies every day and be starving all the time.

His rant at the end of the show last night was hard to watch.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Yeah he looked extra crazy with blood on his face, but was what he said all that unreasonable?

It reminded me of Jack Lemmon's death scene in The China Syndrome. The message is important and the content is on target, but a coherent delivery is hard when the adrenaline is pumping, and people may misinterpret your intent when you're waving a gun around.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Very good point.

Carol and Rick are being too hard headed about it though. These people seem WILLING to learn how to survive, that's why they brought the group into the town in the first place. Sure they're not prepared to make the really hard decisions, but Carol and Rick are too quick to just write them off completely instead of trying to teach and explain to them how things work now (although they have mentioned it several times).

But ya he came off as a raving lunatic and no one was willing to back him up.

22. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The Alexandrians seem too set in their ways and unless a horde/some truly bad people come to visit then that doesn't look like changing. Meanwhile you've got people like Pete, Nicholas and Aidan either leaving people to die or beating up vulnerable members of the town. Deanna is living in a fantasy land if she thinks mere exile is an appropriate punishment in this world.

23. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    I don't know if it's a fantasy land, but she hasn't experienced the worst of the new world, and has never been attacked by other groups or had someone who you let live come back and cause havoc. She still believes that the rules of the old world apply, and wants to bring the society of the old world back. So she's just playing her cards according to her own experiences, not knowing she's been unbelievably fortunate.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    What you described is a fantasy land--it is not how the world actually is.

25. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    True, and not true. To her that makes no sense, because she hasn't experienced it. And because she's been fortunate enough to not experience it, it's not a fantasyland, it's her reality.