main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I DVR'ed the episode and I got maybe 2 minutes in and I just couldn't. Maybe I'll give it another try, but based off of the few comments above, I think I'm going to hate it. The mom character is played by Kim Dickens, right? I'm not a fan of hers in the first place. Sons, Gone Girl, House of Cards...don't like her.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The writing was pretty awful, and I think we're back to the old black people getting eaten first and most often meme. The only zombie virus that does racial profiling. But apparently it set some kind of basic cable ratings record. Walking Dead is a bullet proof brand for the moment.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I enjoyed it. It started very very slowly but picked up speed in the second half.

I agree with the racist virus though, I did notice that.

It's worth a punt on a few episodes and see how it pans out.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    agreed. I also have a low threshold for being entertained by zombies and will keep watching for now.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I didn't notice any racism behind the virus's motives.

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    you also thought the show was written well

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm going to give it a couple more episodes if only for tiny DeppFranco's acting.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I finished watching the pilot episode and I agree it's a slow burn. I really didn't like the first episode because I didn't find any of the characters all that likable and the story wasn't all that compelling.

I felt the previews at the end of the pilot episode was too revealing and spoiled alot. Regardless, I'm committed to watch the entire season.

9. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The zombie virus is that racist it could be a republican.

10. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Regardless of any "racist" undertones that may or may not exist, I thought the episode was just dreadfully boring. I will certainly tune in for a couple more episodes, but so far I struggled to care about any of the characters. My understanding is the product is more of a character study than a zombie-apocalypse story, and after 5 seasons of dreadful pacing with TWD I certainly wasn't expecting much in the way of zombie "action", but it would have been nice to make at least one of the characters.... likable?

I can't fault them for their attempts at making the characters "relatable", as that family dynamic is certainly common, and in fact shares many similarities with my own family dynamic growing up (I live in Los Angeles too). I just just couldn't... care... about any of them. I'm hoping that after the next couple of episodes I can clarify my own thoughts as to why I am so apatehtic to these charcters in particular.

For now I'm certainly rooting for the virus.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    For a high school counselor the mom/wife character is a really terrible listener. Your son says he's witnessed a cannibal murder. It's likely he's insane. Then your husband investigates and says, indeed, the place where the son says it all went down looks like the possible scene of a cannibalistic murder, and you're like "that's what all druggie flophouses look like! fuggetaboutit!"

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    She took that poor kid's weapon, too... bitch.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    That kid should have kept the 73 cents.

14. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    The mom got in the cops face like she was someone with power over them. That's not how you talk to the police.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i'm less optimistic about the outlook of the show when i realize that she's more than likely our rick

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's too early to tell... I'll give it a few more weeks.

17. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They could all die by the end of the season.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Especially the LAPD, they would seriously arrest you if you did that.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    This show sucks so much.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The guy who plays Nick needs to practice sounding American when he's playing upset. During that whole sequence when he was trying to stop his sister from leaving, he sounded like a full-on Brit.

I guess this guy played Tom Riddle in HBP.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    There is something wrong with the pacing if you can set the playback speed to 1.5x and it still seems unbearably slow. And my god, the "acting" from the extras just before the "riot" started. That was the best they could come up with?

I really want to like this show. Why do they make it so hard?

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm entertained by zombies in almost any context, including stripper zombies and nazi zombies, but this show seems determined to test my boundaries.

One of the hardest hurdles in zombieland is plausibly explaining how a toxic bite from a slow moving reanimated corpse can bring down civilization. Walking Dead was smart enough to skip this step. And a lot of movies do that as well. We don't see it happen, so we can suspend our skepticism. But Fear is determined to show us the process, and they are really, really going the extra mile to make it look dumb. Government conspiracy/coverup plus denial doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of a social media equipped society. They could have been clever in other ways like taking a satirical look at social media meme spreading, as happens sometimes even in rock bottom budget schlock horror movies, but no. There's no clever to be had anywhere in this production.

I hate to say it but this series could use the guidance of a good underlying comic book.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    My impressions after watching the second episode:

- Okay, during the first episode I didn't see any skin color bias concerning the virus, as the very first zombie you see happens to be white. But after the second episode, I'm forced to concede that the zombie virus seems prone to overtake black people with greater immediacy and frequency. :p

- I still don't hate it like many of you do. Maybe it's because of my enchantment with the Walking Dead TV brand, but I'm still enjoying it. My only complaint is the mom. She's utterly stupid. And her profession is guidance counselor. A guidance counselor that can't even communicate with her own daughter about the severity of what's happening.
    Her daughter: "What's going on? What's happening?"
    Mom's response: *Silent blank look*
    Her daughter: "Okay, well, I'm going to go outside to help our neighbors, then..."
    Mom: "Noooo!"
    Daughter: "Why?!"
    Mom: *Silent blank look*

And the school scene with the principal. Seriously? That paranoid kid has more sense than this woman. And she's already seen a zombie--plus she just heard one over the intercom! But no, let's go investigate and get up real close and endanger this kid's life with reckless stupidity!

This mom is about as annoying as Andrea from the Walking Dead.

BigAl6ft6, FatBurt and Jabbadabbado like this.
  25. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    In the first episode when everyone was talking about the bug going around and that so many kids were missing school, I was thinking to myself "Aha, a killer flu or something took down the majority of people to bring on the first big wave of zombies".

But now I think they're saying the entire school came down with a bad case of zombie bites and somehow that never made the news.

Jabbadabbado and Ezio Skywalker like this.