main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Perhaps I'm just optimistic about the show, but I was still left with the impression that the "killer flu" is what's bringing on the apocalypse more so than toxic bites. The show probably needs to do more to emphasize that, though. But I found it sufficient that they portrayed flu-like symptoms in just the two characters this episode.

2. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Unlike Rick Grimes, the main characters in Fear find out that the virus reanimates the corpses of everyone who dies with their brains intact before they find out that bites are fatal.

Also, we know that everyone is infected. It's possible that in the initial infection before many people are bitten it induces flu like symptoms in a percentage of the population. So far we know that the boyfriend with a fever was bitten, and the next door neighbor who was loading supplies into the back of his car was coughing (he may or may not have been bitten).

I get the feeling the show doesn't care about the details as much as I do.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Maybe it's because I was distracted by a toddler, but I didn't notice the boyfriend's bite. I thought he was just sick. You turn away from the TV for five seconds and miss a lot, apparently.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    That might also be why you're the only one who likes this show.

Ezio Skywalker and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm so forgiving when it comes to vampire and zombie plagues that I'm still watching The Strain.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Well, I posted earlier that I didn't like the pilot episode as it was kind of boring and the characters were not likable. I didn't notice the "virus" being a racial thing.

I thought the second episode picked up the series and mostly everything was plausible.

We have to remember this world of "The Walking Dead" there is no knowledge/idea of what a zombie is; fictional or otherwise. Thus, no one knows these "walkers" are cannibals looking to make a meal out of living. So, I found it plausible that the mom wanted to take a closer look at the principal when she saw him in the school hallway as they appear to be co-workers and friends for years.

The show I think does an okay job of showing how the "virus" spreads. The viral videos of the "walkers" being shot several times and not being killed are considered to be some kind of a hoax and not taken seriously by most people. It appears the "virus" starts with drug junkies and that's probably why no takes the videos seriously as they can be dismissed as junkies. Reminds me of the original Terminator film when the cops tell Sarah Connor that Arnold was probably in some kind of armor and Kyle is some kind of junkie (IIRC). The virus mimicking flu like symptoms would keep a large portion of the population in their homes and if they turned into a walker, they would most likely attack anyone in their home and could be in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.

It appears the virus outbreak coincides with civil unrest and riots. I could see how large city riots over police shootings could dominate the news and making everything as back page news. Moreover, the loss of communication and power in the middle of anarchy definitely sets up a situation for a zombie take over as police and other emergency services are tied up in trying to deal with larger problems.

I think this is a plausible world in Fear of the Walking Dead and it's kind of how I figured the zombie apocalypse would occur. Nobody knows whats really going on until it's too late.

I like the second episode so much better than the pilot and so I'm going to continue to watch the show.

7. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I'm going to have to watch the second one again tonight. family arsing around distracted my viewing this morning.

One thing I did pick up on though is that the mother is really stupid. I get her wanting to get a closer look at the Principal but after what she'd already seen her reaction time is ridiculous. You could throw "shock" as the reason behind it but if that was what they were going for she portrayed it appallingly. Plus her not telling her daughter the truth is insane.

I hope she becomes a red shirt soon.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Yeah, the way things unfolded with the mom was kind of stupid, but I remember how Herschel treated "walkers" that were his family and friends. He didn't want to believe they were gone and that they could be cured. So, I'm going with the shock factor with the mom. I'm thinking she probably didn't want to tell her daughter about the walker and what she saw because she probably thinks that her daughter will freak out and try to run out of the house and check on her boyfriend. Or perhaps a mother's instinct to protect her daughter and terrify her with the horrors that just lay outside their door. I felt this was evident when the mom went in the bathroom to wash off her blood stained jacket and broke down not in view of her kids.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Being Sean Beaned I think is the official term for a new series headliner who dies by the end of the first season.

10. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Sean Beaned, Red Shirted, Had a Bridge dropped on them.

Don't care, just want her gone, she annoys me already.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I was rooting for the junkie son to go first, but because of the "Sean Beaned" factor, I'm thinking it might be the dad. This series is definitely lacking in the "Rick Grimes" character department in every level. And what I mean by that, there's no real lead character that audience identifies with and can learn about the world as that character does.

FatBurt likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    it's gone for 2 weeks, but when it returns, I want the nerd to show up at the family's house sporting machine pistols and a bandolier, saying "come with me if you want to live!"

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    They know what zombies are in the comics though. This is the same world.

14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    This. I can't care about the characters, so I'm just waiting for them to bite the dust, one by one. But I'm also easily entertained by zombies and there's not much else to watch till TWD returns so..

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I am currently watching this program now, but I'm certainly confused by the concept. The value of different locales is cultural. But in a post-apocalyptic world, there's not much of culture left, is there? So how does this program distinguish itself?

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The Walking Dead takes place after the fall of civilization, when the walkers are everywhere. It takes place in rural Georgia. Fear the Walking Dead takes place as the fall is happening. It takes place in Los Angeles.

17. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Black people have a better chance of surviving in the original Walking Dead. FTWD kills you if you're black. That's it.

18. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    When I was in college I saw a girl dressed up in super convincing zombie makeup walking toward me on the street. While I was hesitant briefly, I walked toward her relatively unphased, because this is the real world and zombies aren't real. For the characters this is their real world. They'd be stupid if they started accepting zombies are real right away, even after they've seen a few.

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Ross that has nothing to do with what I was saying.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    A couple of years back there was a zombie experience game played out on the streets of UK cities, called 2.8 hours later. You'd receive instructions on your cell phone, and have to make it to certain meeting points within a certain time, and there were people dressed as zombies along the way who'd chase you. If you got caught, you got turned.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    There's an annual zombie run here near my neighborhood too. Similar concept, though you have to run from zombies through an obstacle course.

22. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I don't know about that as I have not read in the comics. In Fear of the Walking Dead, they are referring to the "Walkers" as "Infected." I don't recall any moments or references to in this new series or The Walking Dead (TV series) where the people have any knowledge of what zombies are before the fall of civilization.

23. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    The word Zombie has never been used in the comic or the TV show as far as I recall.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, in this world, the only zombie to have existed in fiction is Jesus Christ.