main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Kiwis in Tunisia!!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by solo77, Jul 30, 2013.

1. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    So last year my brother and his girlfriend moved over here to the UK where I have been living since 2009. He's only around for a 2 year stint like alot of OE'ing (is that a word?) Kiwis, so he is keen to see as much of Europe etc as he can in the short time he has.

A few months back he raised with me, the idea of going to Tunisia for a week to explore the Star Wars locations. Naturally I was excited; the thought had crossed my mind a few years ago but was put to bed after the Arab Spring uprisings. Now that Tunisia is back to normal there is nothing stopping us. Naturally we asked the WAGS (wife and girlfriend) and were met with blank stares and eye rolling. We even offered to them the option of a week long beach resort for them whilst the bro and I headed off into the twin-sunned sunset.

Anyway, after a few months pondering we have decided that it's happening, in March 2014. It's payday tomorrow so I will be booking the flights from London to Tunis and there will be no turning back!

So I thought I’d post in here to keep you updated with our trip planning progress and of course some pictures and thoughts once we have returned.

Anyway let me know your thoughts on anything really, what to take, must-do phot poses etc...

:)

2. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Flights booked!! [face_party]

London - Tunis return. 21 March to 28 March, now to finalise the intinerary......

I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl [face_dancing]

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Congratulations! So much to plan and organise, I'm sure you'll have a great trip :)

Do you have a list of places you are considering on visiting?

4. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Certainly do, quite a long lsit whihc gets us to pretty much all the Satr Wars lcoations. In no particular oder I think we'll proabably get to all these:

Tunis, Djerba, Ajim,Tozeur, hott el Gharsa north & south, Sidi Bouhlel, Bir Soltane, Ksar Ghilane, Ksar Haddada, Tataouine, Ksar Ouled Soltane, Medenine, Toujane, Matmata.

Those are the Tunisian place names, the movie locations are:

Toshi Station
    Ben Kenobi's Hermitage
    Mos Eisley Cantina
    Falcon Blast Off Alley
    Darth Maul's Lookout
    Repro Haddada Set
    Yardang Field
    Mos Espa
    Dune Sea
    Lars Homestead Exterior
    Star Wars Canyon
    Mos Espa Slave Quarters
    Mos Espa Backdrops (Ksar Ouled Soltane)
    Tataouine (inspiration fro the planet name)
    Skywalker Alley
    Lars Homestead Interior (Hotel Sidi Driss)

And possibly:

Cairo in Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Raiders of the Lost Ark : Tanis Dig Site

5. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Had an epic trip end of last month to Tunisia, will post some pictures once I've gone through them all. Also hoping to put a small video together when I get a spare minute...

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  6. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I was wondering how it went! Glad that you had a great time :) Looking forward to hearing how the trip went.

7. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Here's a 'teaser' pic from the Mos Espa set. I'll write up a brief trip summary when I get a chance.

[​IMG]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That's so awesome!

Did you get to see all the places you had planned to go to? Do you have a favourite or one that resonated the most for you?

Looking forward to reading how it went.

9. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    We did get to see absolutely everything we wanted, even did the Indy stuff that we weren't sure we'd fit in.

Highlights were definitely the Lars Homestead, both interior & exterior.

Driving across the salt flats and spying the 'igloo' in the middle of nowhere was pretty special, and to see sunset there was amazing.

And then to actually stay the night in the interior set below the ground and having the whole place to ourselves was great.

Aztek and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  10. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Sounds like you had a great trip

11. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    The long awaited trip video, put together by my genius of a brother!

Enjoy

I_am_Kooky and Messem like this.