main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Klaatu Barada Nikto

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Apr 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    The names of the Skiff Guards is also the quote from the movie "War of the Worlds." We were trying to remember where it was from last night and then it dawned on me as I was waking up this morning. The new guys name reminded me of that fact and I thought I should post it. It's a great tribute to the first Sci-Fi cult classic of a different era.

Metropolis
    War of the Worlds
    Star Wars

Great Company huh?

2. chunk_the_jawa

chunk_the_jawa Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 8, 2002
    wow jen you always pull this stuff out of nowhere.

3. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    And this is one I actually remembered, pretty cool, huh? Usually I have to look that stuff up. I have a copy of the radio broadcast w/ Orson Welles, the movie just isn't quite as scary. You have to put yourself in the position of the people listening to that radio, not knowing that it was a radio drama. Very cool stuff.

4. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Sorry, Jen, actually it's from The Day the Earth Stood Still, classic sci-fi from director Robert Wise. I don't know when that came up last night, but if I had heard I would have let you known.

The phrase was given by Michael Rennie as the alien Klaatu to Patricia Neal to say to the robot Gort. It was to let the robot know to rescue Klaatu.

Please don't let this detract from your absolutely deserved place as Historian, your movie knowledge is to be revered.

5. Lewis_Black

Lewis_Black Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2002
    Wow. I feel like a real mowuss right now.

6. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Welcome to the world of a blended memory. I am constantly doing that; remembering two separate things as one. Thank you for the correction.

As a footnote, another great one is When Worlds Collide (1951) (Looked that one up to make sure I was right). Won a bunch of effects awards, great stuff for it's time. But you can definately see where they ran out of money.

7. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    I didn't know there was a "Barada" on the skiff, i thought there was only Klaatu, and Nikto is the species that he is. For example, there's a Nikto Jedi in Episode II :)

8. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Gotta luv this history stuff....!!! "The Day the Earth Stood Still" is awesome!

9. darth-jar

darth-jar Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2000
    Don't forget that Klaatu Barada Nikto is also the words that Bruce Campbell used(or tried to use) to pick up the Necronomicon in Army of Darkness. I think that is right. ?[face_plain] Not sure. Could be wrong. But I think I'm right. But still not sure.

10. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    I wouldn't be at all surprised, it's been used in many movies as a joke.

11. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah, I was going to post about the Army of Darkness thing, but DJ beat me to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.