main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Knighthood in TFA, or, Sir Not Appearing in This Movie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sarge, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Remember when Ep 7 was announced, one of the tidbits that was shared with the public was that the film would be about what it means to be a knight? After seeing it once, I thought, "I didn't see anything about knighthood." But now I'm reconsidering.

Rey, our protagonist, seems to be just beginning the path to knighthood. She has the combat skills, the compassion, probably the family legacy, and she's loyal to a fault. Apparently she has grown up far away from academies and noble courts, but so did Parsival and Galahad in many versions of their stories.

Finn is the rebel against his evil culture and upbringing. One character type popular in medieval romances was the mighty Saracen or Norseman who turned his back on ravaging and pillaging, choosing to align himself with paladins or Knights of the Round Table. Finn fits that archetype.

Then there's Poe. Mighty warrior, sworn to serve the virtuous princess, friend to those in need, faithful to his duty even under the most dire torture, courageous and undeterred by danger, I'd say Poe is the most knightly of the new 3... at least for the moment.

And Luke. Those who know him seem to think he was the greatest knight of all, victor over the most potent wizard king and his black knight in ages past. Like the mighty Lancelot in his last years, he has turned his back on the world, isolating himself to a life of meditation in a distant monastery.

Finally, Kylo Ren. Son of royalty, unsatisfied with his lot in life, seeking power and position at all costs. Mordred much?

So, what other knightly themes have you observed or deduced hiding in TFA?

DaveyWanKenobi and JediRocks74 like this.
  2. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    I thought this was going to be something connected with the queen's new years honors list, lol

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sir Kylo of Ren.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.