main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KNIGHTQUEST

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Xmaveric, Sep 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    Are you calling me a sock?

2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
  3. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998
    Happy Ninja.

You're right. I knew exactly what I was doing and I am rolling the dice. But I can't in good consious (sp) recommend anyone else spend large sums of money on a fanfilm. It's a risk. If someone wants to it's up to them but I'm not going to egg them on.

As for trying to lower expectations? Maybe a little. My fear is that people will expect this to be on the level of Episode 1. And it's not. It's not even on the technical level of a Star Trek episode. (Although my wife disagrees:) I just want people to go in expecting a good FANFILM. Not an A-list Hollywood production. I am proud of the film, there are always things I would do differently, but overall it's pretty good.

As for when? I have one scene to edit and 3 scenes to do sound for. We're all hoping to have it up by the end of the month or early Oct. at the latest.

4. TheGhoest

TheGhoest Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2001
    I am looking forward to KQ more than any other fanfilm besides AQOF2. It looks awesome.

And to the makers, if you need any of my skills, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanx,

The Ghoest-

5. jamesbobabond2

jamesbobabond2 Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2001
    Jeez, you guys are bunch of woosies. You "banned" me for expressing my opinion.
    It was not even negative, just a question.

It's not like I just can't get another id.
    Don't be so childish.

You (moderators) act like you are the lords of the land. You threaten to lock topics and/or lock topics-ban users, just to show off your suppossed online prowress. It's funny, that the number of moderators outnumber the amount of real people who actually post on this obscure board.

Ban Away!

6. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    James... shut up.

I'm still going to watch the movie, and I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of it. I know that it's "only" a fanfilm, but I think it's going to be THE best one out there for a while.

While I know it's not a competition, I DO plan on whoopin' KQ's butt at some point. :)

I don't think the money thing should be a big deal to people. It's all about how much you have, and how much you're willing to spend on something that can never make a profit... you'll just have to bear in mind that it'll be a loss, money-wise. When I get around to making my film, I'll probably end up spending too much on it... but as I mentioned in the "Why do we make fanfilms" thread, I'm an entertainer first and foremost. When it comes to telling a story, I'll tell it how I see fit, regardless of cost (luckily it's all in-house.. hehe). Unless I'm mistaken, that's precisely what Banshee is doing with KQ here... just telling a story.

7. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    I'll just expect it to suck then.

hehehehehe!!

SZ

8. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    You'd better watch out, James. The admins could decide to block your IP, which would mean that you would not be able to post from the computer you are using. There is no need to start name-calling. That is childish.

9. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Hey, if you expect it to suck, you might be pleasantly surprised! Hope for the best, expect the worst...

And if anyone is having a hard time getting that file that Clay posted, drop me a line at webmaster@jedi2016.com. It's on my FTP server at the moment, and I haven't heard of any problems with it, except a couple folks here. I could try putting it on the HTTP side of my site, but that might cause some problems, too, due to the file size.

I feel like I'm a smaller version of TFN or something... I'm averaging 5-6 downloads per hour on that file.. hehe.. (big bandwidth... goooooood!!!)

10. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Technically, if unless he has always on internet access...an IP block won't do much, because with 56k dial-up, you get a new IP everytime you sign on.

Now, I'm not gratifying the little prick, I'm just saying that if he wanted to be a little prick, we couldn't stop him, so we should just quit egging the troll on. He's obviously only doing it to draw attention to himself.

11. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    James there aren't allot of moderators there are just a few. You were banned because your old acct was what the mods call a sock puppet. You created it just to flame, a common practice of trolls.

12. jamesbobabond2

jamesbobabond2 Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2001
    Sigh, I love it when moderators try to pretend that they are system administrations and/or network techs.

Oh no, not the dreaded IP block! Gee, I have two AOL accounts, two prodigy accounts, two cablemodem accounts, an anonymous IP account, and countless proxies. Hmmm.

I am not "trolling," My initial post, was my first post on TFN.

I read into the previous posts, and it seems the moderators of this board get their jollies off of banning people and locking topics.

I am not looking to make any trouble.

One last question. Why do fanfilms HAVE to take place in the woods? That is the only part of Knightquest, that looks out of place.

And before everyone else chimes in, I am talking about WOODS, I.E. Backyard/City Park woods, not a Forest, like "Endor".

13. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    KnightQuest looks like an Endor-esque forest to me.

The reason is that most of the people making Fan Films in the US and the most abundant natural location is a Forest/Woods area. Deserts are few and far between, mostly in the Southwest. So they can pass as SW planets and they are easily accessible.
    Though allot of folks are begining to tire of the Forest planet scenario. But KnightQuest was probably one of the first, if not the first, to shoot there.

14. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    why would you waste money going out of your way to find some different terrain? It's just a fanfilm, no one is paying you to do it, and no fan film should be related to another, would you praise someone for haveing their fan film in a desert? That might just be what is around their location, so they use it, you get all excited, who gives a damn, the filmmaker went out of his way to show you the film, and you are being nitpicky, come on, if you want to complain, do it someplave else; I have grown tired of you kids whining about this or that, that a filmmaker does or does not do, consider yourselves lucky that we are letting you see this stuff, I mean it's not like we have to or are forced to upload it on the internet for you to see. KnightQuest looks rather good in my opinion, good saber effects, good costumes, some good camera work in there too, and God willing, a good storyline to boot. I am excited to see it, even if it turns out to be cheesy, I'll still find things in it probably that I can learn from for my next project.

15. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Speaking of network techs...
    How big of a file is KQ expected to be?

Given the amount of demand this film has been building, should I just treat the KQ release announcement as, "Sorry, the TFN FanFilm site will be choked by massive download demand for the next couple of weeks. Please, try again later."

I know it was difficult for me to connect to the site for the first day or so of Dark Skies release.

I'm not trying to be critical. Just curious really.

Have fun.

16. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    That's a good point you bring up, padawan.

I think that TFN should start catering to users with high speed connections, since their are so many now.

For me, if would be great to have a 300MB, non-segmented download, so that I could watch KQ is all (or most) of it's glory.

I'm sure it's extra work Azeem, but is it possible to have 3 versions? A large around 300MB (the movie is around 50 minutes, after all), a small around 80MB, and then a maybe a small that is segmented for dial-up users.

Also, not that the TFN server isn't the bomb, but maybe you could have a few mirror sites for the first week, (or two, if the press picks up the story.

17. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    From my experience, TFN has really good bandwidth. I doubt KQ will clog TFN's servers for more than a few days.

TFN's internet connections is one hard chicken to choke.

18. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Unfortunatley, for me, TFN tends to be a bit on the slow side, getting about 3.4 Kb/Sec, and often, it runs down to 0.1, and I have to restart the download (Hail DAP now!), whilst on most servers, I get 5.7 Kb/Sec in one short run... several mirror servers would suit me fine.

Still, if it takes a month or two to download KQ, then so be it... I wanna see this one.

19. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    jamesbobabond . . . .
    Dude, why don't you just SHUT THE * * * * UP and enjoy the ENTERAINMENT VALUE for which these FanFilms are made.

You seem to have nothing but sarcastic, negative comments about the quality and elements of many of these FanFilms. Until you have something of YOUR OWN to back up that mouth of yours, then I suggest that you tailor your attitude, pal.

Why don't you try offering up some CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM instead of throwing around complaints and sarcasm at every turn.

And FYI, the only time that the Mods/Admins ban people from the board is when some compelte MORON comes along who lacks the intelligence and maturity to write reasonable posts.

20. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Actually, the ban was for three reasons. Number one, your primary account was banned for flaming. Additionally, you came back as an alias account, which in itself is also cause for banishment. Finally, using the word "gay" as an insult is not acceptable forum behavior. Please, grow up.

The "I was just expressing my opinion" spiel never holds up when coming from a troll. Feel free to express it as much as you want, as long as you comply with the rules while doing so. Obviously you've had a problem with the rules or you wouldn't have caused this much trouble to begin with.

I'm unimpressed with your ability to circumvent our banning methods. Just goes to show how immature you act in trying to post at a place where you're clearly not wanted and don't respect enough to follow basic common sense.

Finally, there are four staff members who post here, only two of which actually moderate. I daresay there are a few more regular members than that.

21. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Spoken like a true prodigy.

22. Jedi_Icicle

Jedi_Icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2001
    I can't wait for this movie to come out! I have a feeling that this will raise the standards just like Duality did!!! This is so exciting!!!!

Now one thing I think would be cool is if Joe Monroe shares his experience with us after the movie is released. For example a lot of us have always dreamed of working with actual film and I think it would be interesting for a lot of people to know what it's like...what were the advantages and disavantages? What were some of the problems he had to face and work around. How did it affect his difgital effects etc...

Anyway good luck Joe on your movie and I am sure it will come out better than you think! :)

23. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, I will tell you from experience . . . .

I was a Film Production Major in College. Everything we did was on 16mm film stock. BELIEVE ME, while working with actual "film" can be "artistic," their are far many more hastles to deal with than with digital video.

First and foremost, editing is 1000x more efficient and easier with digital video. Not only can you quickly and efficiently log your clips onto a hard drive or CD, but you can add various wipes, dissolves and transitions with the click of a mouse. Further, you can edit music and sound effects virtually simultaneously. NONE of this could be done as inexpensively with film.

Have you ever tried to LOAD a 16mm or 35mm motion picture camera? Let me tell you, it is not the easiest thing to do in the world. You basically have to do it blind .. either in a pitch black room, or witht he magazine in a black bag. Either way, you really cannot see what you are doing. Granted, most of the time it comes out okay, but compared to simply loading a DV cartridge or disc into a DV camera . . . FORGET ABOUT IT. I'll take the DV.

Of uttmost imprtance to myself . . . . the ability to integrate CGI elements with virtual ease onto digital video footage. Prior to the advent of After Effects, 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, Maya ... what have you, it took visual effects and rotoscope and matte artists weeks (if not months) to create the types of effects (by hand) that can be created in a fraction of the time with a computer and a mouse. And prior to computer integration, in order to combine your visual effects images onto your film, you would have to incorporate the use of an optical printer. Not only was this a time consuming process, but it was an extremely expensive process. (Unless, of course, you OWNED an optical printer ... which usualy went for no less than $150,000.00 for your basic no frills model. (I speak from experience here, as I worked for a special effects house in Southern California for several months in the early 90's).

And as for the "film look" of actual film. Well, I suppose we can all wait to see EPISODE II - since Lucas filmed the entire film with a Digital Video Camera. There are several software applications available which can filter your DV footage to look more like "real" film. Not only that, but there are various fps tricks you can use as well.

The bottom line, the advent of digital video, in my opinion, has really been a blessing to the wallets and time-clocks of filmmakers (amateur and professional alike). I dare say that within the next 10 years, MOST of the major motion picture studios will be using digital video for their major productions.

24. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Touche JediTAC,

I agree. :)

25. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Hey Jedi_Icicle, since we're talking about Really friggin cool films coming out, whens Seeds of Darkness up?

Hehe! I taunt you! :D

-tm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.