main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KNIGHTQUEST

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Xmaveric, Sep 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Ummmm . . . there IS a bit of a difference there, Starfighter.

Joe Monroe isn't George Lucas and didn't have thirty zillion dollars to spend on his film.

I wouldn't be comparing it to any of the LUCAS films.
    In fact ... why COMPARE it to anything ???

Let KNIGHTQUEST stand on it's own merits.
    Provide your praise and/or CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms based on the film as an single entity . . . as if no other FanFilms existed before it.

Unfortunately, many of you will go ahead and say something stupid like, "it's not as good as DUALITY or AQOF."
    Some people simply don't get it . . . oh well.

JediTAC

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Actually it looks better than AQOF or Duality (sorry guys), but I wont go there when its released, I completley agree, it shouldnt be compared

3. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    I agree with Anonymous Jedi. I don't expect it to be as good as a big budget movie, but I do expect it to be better than pretty much every fan film.

4. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    GOOD GOD MAN . . . DON'T YOU GET IT ????

DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING !!!!

That way, you will not be disappointed if the film does not meet up to your "expectations."

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Don't expect anything?

I'll be watching it with a bucket of popcorn and some toilet paper. That way, I can eat while I watch, and if the film is good, I can through the toilet paper around the room in joy, or if it's bad, I can use it to wipe my booty, and hope the kernals don't itch!

Now THAT'S preparation!!! :D

6. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    Hey if the movie sucks, I'll just watch Trailer B a bunch of times.. It rocks! :D

7. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998
    Latest news for those interested:

Picture locked. Final color correction this weekend.

Sound editing done. Final laydown this weekend providing we get the sync problem figured out. (don't ask.)

Should be starting compression for web Monday or Tuesday.

Release date TBA.

More updates forthcoming.

8. banshee

Jul 14, 1998
    My first DOUBLE POST!! AARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

9. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    >for those interested<

So that'll be everyone on the forum then (if not the english speaking world!)

Happy compressing [face_mischief]

10. banshee

Jul 14, 1998
    Just out of curiosity, how many people will skip the download because of the file size?

Even though Azeem is the compression master, the movie will probably be split into 3 parts with each part 60-70megs.

Is that going to turn off the dial-up people? (I have a dial up at home and large files have never stopped me. I just set it up to download over night.)

I was really hoping compression schemes would have advanced farther by now. Although a test I saw for WMP 8 was awesome. They were able to compress the file down to where it was basically a meg a minute...FULL REZ.

But it doesn't seem very user friendly. You have to access it through a DOS prompt somehow.

Anyway, it won't be much longer now...

11. Nobody

Nobody Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2000
    Huge files have never stopped me and my 56k. And nothing ever will.

-nobody

12. Jedi_Icicle

Jedi_Icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2001
    Banshee,

I don't think the file size will shy anyone away from it! We're all too eager and excited to see it! :)
    the wait is almost over......(drool...) ;)

13. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    im gonna download it no matter what...

oh wait, your talking about dial up peeps? :D

great news, i will post the news at my fan film site if you dont mind

14. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    "3 parts each at 60-70 megs" I have been looking forward to Knightquest for the longest time and I have high hopes for it's quality (story/effects) - but that's just too much for dial-up.
    How about low and high res versions?

15. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    It's really hard, in the UK (where I live) ASDL, Cable Modems and Broadband are pretty well non-existent, so I put my film on the interent hoping my mates would download/watch it and they haven't :(

BUT, with all the effort Banshee is putting into this, I think it would be a real shame to squash a 50 minutes film into a crumby lo-res version, the quality would be pretty desperate and sad to see. I would go for the George Lucas dream of 'only seeing it in quality theatres' and release it only as mentioned. For the broadband community this is no problem, and for the 56k brigade, they'll just have to dust down 'gozilla' and come back in a week. :) Becuase it is what it is, I'm sure people will try a little harder for it.

16. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    I recently moved 2400 miles. When I was in Washington state I had cable modem and I got into fan films, now that I am on dial-up I just download over night. It's really not that bad. The 40MB hi-rez version of Duality took me about 4 hours to download.

17. JediTAC

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, prhaps there can be several options . . . .

One WHOLE FILM download - no matter what the size (for DSL, Cable, T1)
    3-Part Broken Down Film (for dial up)
    Low Rez version (for the internetly challenged).

For myself, I would rather endure the time it takes to download the entire film and watch it in one sitting,
    rather than having to start up "part 2" and "part 3" separately.

Of course, I have a pretty quick DSL connection, so I guess I have somewhat of an advantage over those with dial-up (But I certainly remember those frustrating times).

What I usually did was simply let my computer download overnight, while I slept. You can get quite a chunk of info in 6-8 hours. :)

JediTAC

18. DaftMaul

Feb 18, 2001
    I think TFN should have some input here to, it's there servers that are going to be slaughtered. Man are they going to melt!

19. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    The problem is that Fan Films are growing faster than the Internet is.

20. Anonymous_Jedi

Apr 4, 2001
    I wouldn't go that far Max, thats impossible

21. link64PD

link64PD Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2001
    I agree with JediTAC, whatever size, I would prefer the movie be in one file instead of 3 seprate ones. Just think it's easier to watch and doesn't detract from the experience, anyone else think so?

22. JediToren

JediToren Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2000
    link64PD: yeah definately, a single continues film is a better presentation but I still think that there should be a segmeanted download for those who need it.

23. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    So, are we saying Knightquest will be released by the end of next week?! :)

24. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Single file. Hi-res. Screw file size. I'll download overnight. This dial-up user is going to download Knightquest, period.

-Paul

25. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I want one file! Although I know TFN hates that, it's harder for me to get into a film if I have to switch files.

TESBY was one file, but they butchered the quality. They need to do a 30 fps, 640x480, high quality all-in-one download. It'll take me about 5 hours to download (on my cable), but I don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.