main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KNIGHTQUEST

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrawn37

thrawn37 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2000
    Wow, good show. Well done, Knightquest team. That was definitely worth the download. I can't wait to show this one to my friends!

2. Lockup

Lockup Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2001
    *Not really spoiler info but discriptive, maybe a spoiler...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*

First of all, I was very impressed overall. There were a few minor things but it would be nit picking to mention them. Very outstanding work. I was most impressed to the level of detail given to the space scenes even though they were a secondary plot in the story. The story was very original and very well articulated. Karina was by far the best actor of the four. Your rendition of Vader was nothing short of amazing. I really never noticed the voice difference since his presense on the screen in my opinion were nothing less than Lucas level achievement. I was trying to guess the ending and I thought Karina would turn (for some reason I thought she would turn out to be Mara Jade). All I want to ask is will there be a sequel? I want to find out where she goes. What happens to her.

Great job guys. The best Fan film I've seen so far. I haven't seen duality yet and now I'm affraid to since I don't think it will come close.

Best regards,

3. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Wow, great job.

It was....cool. Hard to elaborate right now. Just trying to let it all sink in. Well worth the wait, definitely!

4. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    "I signed up for the newsleter over a year ago and i haven't gotten the e-mail this sucks. Edit: of course no one listens to me.... "

I CANCELLED it over a year ago because I visit the danm site every day and everything in the newsletter was on the website.

grrrrr.

:-|

I guess I sould just stop caring.

Maybe I'll get around to looking for the movie again in a month or two. With luck my TPM dvd will be here tomorrow.

5. DarthJamesMScott4th

DarthJamesMScott4th Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2001
    I'll just say this without giving any of the
    plot away. The Trailers ARE deceptive!!!
    The acting was really great! Who knew.:)
    That was an excellent ploy. Having us expect
    less...than we are given MORE! Oh Joy!:)
    God Bless you Joe.
    Thank you TF.N!
    Good Job people.
    Now that I have Knightquest what will there
    be left, to wish for?

Yours Truly,
    Darth Jim

6. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Joe...GREAT JOB. I must admit that this ranks right at the top of my list. The story, the acting, the compositing, and cinematography were top notch. Dialog, a little chessy in parts but what SW movie doesnt have some. The music was well arranged as well. (nice little jab at the Mac/PC debate too..I laughed at that.

No spoilers but the end was well explained and there were a few times when I found myself saying HOLY S! due to the exchange of dialog.

Clay, as usual great job on the sabers. To the visual fx (sorry, forgot the name there) outstanding. Many of the scenes were composited extremely well.

Im hoping that we may see a high quality mov. format in the future, but Im not gonna complain if that doesnt happen.

Great job. I know you're gonna turn some heads with this film.

Oh and Jedi2016, very cool to see you had a part in KQ as well.

7. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    WARNING: SPOILERS BELOW

Joe and the rest of the Knightquest team--

AMAZING! That was absolutely incredible! We both were so impressed and it far exceeded our expectations. This was very Star Wars! From start to finish it was definitely like watching another Star Wars film. We are very excited about watching it over and over again. The special effects, fight scenes, acting, and story were just great. It was really a roller coaster ride full of surprises.

Please consider doing a sequel. We were very relieved to see that Karina survived the horrible battle with Darth Vader. It was amazing to see that she actually wasn't killed by the fall. Would you consider continuing Karina's story?

This was the best Star Wars fan film EVER! Please know that your efforts were well spent. We're glad you took all the time you needed because it really did pay off. The quality is top-notch. Thank you all! You are awesome filmmakers! Please let us know about your upcoming work! May the Force be with you!

Very Sincerely,
    Watto & BLUE13

8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT
    DAMMIT

God I hate my 56k line. :( :( :(

9. ObiMcD

ObiMcD Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Hey Joe, here's a few quotes you may want to use. ::clears throught::
    "Amazingly... Amazing" "This is what a fanfilm should be" "Well worth the wait" "For once, good acting" "The new definitivefanfilm"Whoa!" "Bien!" "Excelente!"

10. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    I'm partway through the first segment of the wmf format. Garbage, thats all I can say. Windows media player sucks ****. Every time the audio picks up (lightsabers, contact flashes, blasters) the video freezes. Theres no way around it.

I really wish I could enjoy this film, but I can't because the codec sucks. I'm going to have to download the quicktime version instead, which from the sounds of the news post means I'm going to have to deal with a low frame rate and some unspecified glitch. On a machine that can play full-sized uncompressed video without dropping a single frame, I still can't play this film.

Great way to release a long anticipated film, guys...

-tm

EDIT: I just finished downloading the Quicktime version. Although the frame rate is lower, I would reccomend it over the wmf version, especially on Macs. The audio glitch is barely detectable, and it plays much cleaner.

11. MC3PIO

MC3PIO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 19, 2000
    Impressive achievement. Especially for a first time filmmaker. There were flaws here and there but those will be worked out as you get more experience making films. I wasn't expecting it to hold my attention for the full 50 minutes as this is an amateur film and most are really asking a lot of their audience when they venture beyond the half hour mark but this one did. I liked the epic scope to it. Put me down for wanting to see a sequel but please, sooner than 2 years.

12. Kol_Niko

Kol_Niko Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2001
    I'm on a 56k and it won't allow me to resume my download. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

13. tumblemoster

Dec 1, 2000
    Well, I fought through the Windows media player version, so now I can wipe the damned thing off my machine and talk about the actual FILM!

I liked it a lot! Carina is a fantastic actor. I almost expected her to become Mara Jade.Your composite shots were great as well! The cliff scene 3d near the end (you know the one) was awesome!

Great film. a deffinate new standard for fan film story telling.

-tm

14. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    KQ is an absolutely FANTASTIC piece of work!
    The extensive time, effort, heart and soul that you guys put into this project has really paid off. This was very entertaining. I loved watching it.

I for one really enjoyed the storyline, fx, acting, and even some of the droid's wise cracks. (Though the audio mix did make it difficult to understand him most of the time.)

I can see now why you were so emphatic about defending your ground as non-professionals. There were many minor elements of the film that really didn?t seem to come together cleanly. (I have to ask: Did you film this with only one Storm Trooper suit?) Virtually all of these issues were minor and wouldn?t stand out at all in a traditional fan film. So much of KQ was of such high caliber (better than most "professional" material on TV), though, these minor issues seem to stand out a bit more. Still, as an "amateur" endeavor, this is one truly amazing film. (Though I think Duality will remain my favorite.)

Anyway, thanks for giving us all such a great movie to watch. It was well worth waiting for. Time for you guys to sit back, relax and enjoy all the attention you're receiving.

Have fun!!!!!

15. Ryebread

Ryebread Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    First things first <sound of applause>. I commend everyone involved with this film for the obvious time and energy expended.

The acting overall was very good. Some dialogue could have been improved with addition edits but the actors handled the material well as a whole.

What was great!
    1) The lightsaber battles were well executed. While they lacked the breathtaking acrobatics and polish of TPM they were clearly on par with the original trilogy, which is quite a feat in itself.
    2) The story unrolled at a comfortable pace and kept my attention throughout...and my mind wanders easily so kudos to the writers and editors.
    3) The very end with the ship emerging from the ground was awesome. I had a gigantic smirk on my face. Very unexpected and well executed. I even saw dirt sliding off the doors if I wasn't mistaken (which I may have been given compression artifacts).

And what wasn't.
    1) Do all girls put there hands on their hips like that? The stance seems unnatural for some reason.
    2) Please stop circling around the actors or I'm going to hurl. Just put the steadycam down and no one gets hurt!
    3) I would appreciate seeing "how" Karina managed to survive the fall. When she passed through the cloud layer I knew she was falling from high up. Jedi aircushion perhaps?

Thanks to the Knightquest cast and crew for delivering great film entertainment!

Good night all.

16. MAXIMISE

MAXIMISE Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2001
    Loved it, great to see the standard take another leap. Duality kicked the bar up and you guys pole vaulted over it and raised it.

Special FX would put some actual professional shows to shame and I loved that you payed that much attention to plates and Rotoscoping, now I see where the time went.

SPOILERS>>>>> REALLY... DO NOT READ BELOW - ENDING MENTIONED<<<<<<

The end was just absolutely brilliant, worthy of Star Wars and any sci-fi show. The use of the Cliff was great and I really felt something when she was thrown off. Darth VADER YOU BASTARD!!!!! ;). The final sequence was both emotional and almost uplifting, like the Empire Strikes Back in many ways (with the music certainly reminding me of a little Homage at least of the Millenium Falcon speeding off in ESB, it was very reminesant of that scene)

All in all top notch effort and great fun to watch.. cause lets face it, thats what counts around here. Fun and fanship :D

17. abobbs

abobbs Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 1999
    BEST FAN-FILM EVER!!!
    In addition: Best effects, best use of a canon character, and by far the best directing I've seen yet.

And I mean that... I've been waiting for this day for over a year and must say that it was worth every bit of hype. Aside from some problems with audio balance the execution was nearly flawless, the effects were spectacular, and the action had me on the edge of my seat. The acting seemed very true to the real Star Wars films: it had its awkward moments, but when it came down the really intense parts of the film, the acting was SOOO good that I instantly forgave any previous awkard moments. Wow. And the ending just sent shivers down my spine. Again, Wow.

18. Jedi Movius

Jedi Movius Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 1999
    SPOILER

Vader needs to take Mace Windu's advice on the proper way to get rid of your enemies: "The lightsabre, when you absolutely, positively have to kill someone, except no substitutes..."

Obviously, throwing people off cliffs doesn't get the job done.

19. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    for some reason I couldn't watch the Quicktime verison even though it ran at a low data rate! :(
    Everything was outta synch and the video was jerky...and I have a pentium 300!
    I didn't even try and look it through the windows media player sine the data rate was at a whopping 700!
    My poor little computer just doesn't have the brute strength to view this movie properly.
    Still, I watched it jerky and all thru Quicktime and STILL ENJOYED IT! :)
    The subplot was needed to fill in a huge gap and heighten tension...otherwise it would have been nothing much more than Duality in terms of plot depth.
    The smuggler was a perfect 'fifth business' character that held the story together nicely...
    Now this movie like every other fanfilm was not perfect but it's the only other movie that has come as close to it since Duality (in terms of overall execution anyway).
    Great acting, great FX and lots of fun what more can you ask for.
    Lots of hard work there Joe...give yourself and your crew a big pat on the back.

20. CalQdeX

CalQdeX Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2001
    Contains things you don?t want to hear before you see the movie.

I?m sorry, but it wasn?t what I hoped.(not because of hype)
    I feel dirty or something saying that.

When I saw the trailer for the first time I knew what the plot was going to be.
    And I had a lot of doubts about it.

Anything that deals with characters that have already been develop, and in this case, already develop and not finished, you have to do what the character should be, witch is vary hard for the writer.

The references to the past wouldn?t have been to bad if Ulic knowing him didn?t accompany it.
    References are one thing, but blindly attaching things to make your story seem more plausible is another.
    I don?t think Ulic knowing him was that ?blindly? put in, but I think it was uncalled for.

I think this has to do with the fan?s never ending quest to become part of the Star Wars universe.
    The fans in many cases have tried to write their fan films into either the Skywalker or Expanded storyline.
    I don?t like this, to be frank it?s unoriginal.
    Working around other stories is ok but changing what?s already there isn?t.

This is why I had doubts in the beginning.
    I was hoping Joe wouldn?t have changed anything with this story, but in my eyes he did.

Don?t get me wrong, I enjoyed the film, i think its one of the best,but it?s the same thing with the X-men movie, it was well made but the story is not loyal to what the X-men really are.
    Although the end after shes thrown off was bit Corny/Cliché.

I read what I?ve written and I see I?m way more critical then I wanted to be.

edit#5
    btw the THX thing was GREAT
    they should use that.

21. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Okay, it's morning again, I've had sleep, am not tired, so can watch it and pick everything up. (I missed a load of really nice subtle bits of storytelling first time out, that story was beautifully interwoven into it's time frame)

I guess it's becuase of when this film began production, or it's becuase you are just REALLY clever, but this film made me feel like I was right back in the original trilogy time period. This is the first fanfilm I have seen that I actually felt any emotions other than 'cool - look at that!' Inside, I was cheering on Dannyk, booing Vader (although I did feel kind of sorry for him at one stage when they where ripping him about his bird! :( Poor Darth!) and I wanted to see the goodies come out on top.

Only after watching it again, with a clear head, and after a bit of reflection did I realise 'Hold on, these are emotions I've never felt before while watching a fanfilm!' Normally I look through 'technical eyes' at these films, as the characters are never engaging enough to just let me wallow in storytelling. By being able to do this I have to applaude you guys (Joe I guess) on a great peice of moviemaking, sure there where things that I looked at and thought 'I would have done that differently, I would have cut sooner there, changed that etc', but these are just personal things, I think the same about most creative things I watch or look at. But these things aren't important when you step back and view KNIGHTQUEST as a whole. This is genuinely the first film I have seen that took me back to a time long ago, and a place far, far away, thanks for taking me back there Joe, I never thought I'd see it again! :)

22. tumblemoster

Dec 1, 2000
    I think Daft summed up some of my thoughts nicely. I was moved by Carina near the end, her speaking to her two comrades. Its something that hasn't been seen before in a fan film. The woman who played Carina was truly a strong actor, and she put on a great performance. I only hope I can get actors of her caliber when I make my film.

-tm
    *And she's cute too!*

23. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    I just got up after a long heavy night, checked my mail and We-hay!!!!!

I'm looking at an hour ish for all 3 parts.... got to go but some speaker cable cos mine are bantha poop. so i'll come back and comment in about 6 hours...

Thayne

24. Cunard

Cunard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    Hello everyone. I thought Knightquest was really pretty good, and I agree with Daftmaul 100%. There was something about this film that has been absent in all other fan films, not the production value, the CGI, the acting, but something that I can't put my finger on. Perhaps this will spark a new breed of fanfilmmaking, story and substance. Although with that statement, I do not wish to discourage the small fan films that people are working on, or will in the future. This is a new air that I have never felt on the fan film forums, and I believe that perhaps this may be the future of Star Wars once episode 3 is finished.

25. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    wow! i have to say without a doubt that this was truly the best fanfilm i've seen to date... it is the closest to the "feel" of starwars that i have seen. that aside lets get to the heart of the matter...

first off i'd like to congratulate the crew on a first rate job... the cgi was incredible, and the great god of the saber, Clay, truly outdid himself. the look of the film was outstanding... the costumes were extremely well made, the prop designs were excellent... (even that $12 machine gun toy painted up well.. lol)

the acting was superb, and i would just like to take this time to point out the benefits of having real actors in your fanfilms, lol... it definitely pays off!

the story was good, the editing was good, as the story did flow.

all in all i would have to say that this film was superb, and i would like to congratulate the entire KQ crew on a job extremely well done!

now, one more year to wait till the next big fanfilm.... mine... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.