main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KNIGHTQUEST

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGwB

JediGwB Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    Wow! That was one Cool Fan Film!! really great seeing Vader again!

Great Job Banshee Productions!

will we get to see what happens to Karina?

2. OmegaTriad

OmegaTriad Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2001
    ARGH!

OK I got the QT segments to load *on the WEBPAGE* but I can't save them to my hardrive.
    The result : I am stuck watching a 1 by 2 inch movie and have to keep the browser window open or I lose it...

Can someone help me out here? How do I get this to my hard drive (this has rarely happened before and not that I can remember on TFN)?

3. Sith005

Sith005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2001
    We had one trooper suit. But two people dressed in the suit at different times.

4. Padme_Thong

Padme_Thong Jedi Youngling

Oct 8, 2001
    Visually, Knight Quest was great. The story was pretty good.

The dialogue needed some work. I mean, the bad writing started in the opening scroll..

"knew she had been sold out."

Come on... you can do better than that.

I enjoyed the film greatly, but a lof of the dialogue just made me laugh.

5. Lord_Rive

Lord_Rive TFN Fan Films Staff star 4 VIP

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd like to add my congratulations to Joe and the rest of the Knightquest team. The scope of the project is remarkable, and the gumption to attempt it (let alone complete it) equally so.

Fantastic work guys!

Dave

6. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Once again, I have a comment.

Thanks, Joe, for taking the time to put out a quality product even though you were lagging behind sceduale.

It's nice to see someone take the time that it takes to get the job done right. Wow.

7. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    ~sighs~ I'm unable to download the last part of hte KQ, .mov file, whether I use as save or download manager, I'm getting close to 10mb left to download, sometimes 3 varies before connection times out, I have no choice in this matter.

Is it possible to have the files up on the site the way all the others are, this would be easier for people who need to resume download.

8. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    I don't know what was worse, Jar Jar Binks or the acting in Knightquest (with a few exceptions).

I will give you this --> The cg and other effects were amazing. I was defenitely impressed with the end scene on the cliff.

And I must also thank you for casting such a beautiful woman as Karina. Hopeful though, Doria is on to bigger and better things.

Please don't make a sequel.

9. Jay_PFP

Jay_PFP Jedi Youngling

Aug 5, 2001
    I loved it!

Found myself being emotionally impacted and couldn't understand why, at all... which, I assume, was the director's vision, so he must've hit the nail pretty darn fair.

The CG was inspiring. I guess it goes to show that time and patience do pay off big dividends, so congrats to all involved on the project, and I look forward to future (SW or otherwise!) productions!

*S* and best regards,

Jay.

10. banshee

banshee Jedi Master star 1

Jul 14, 1998

To everyone so far, thank you for your comments and support. It really means alot to everyone involved in the production.

It's nice to see that most people enjoyed it.

11. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Banshee, I read the thing about the sequel idea.... I think it would be a great idea! I would love too finally see IG-88 get some screen time! It would also be a great addition as too give Chee and Karina MORE of a reason too be there (I already realize that they were neccesarry)

Who did you CG? I need too see if he'll teach me :p

12. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    SPOILERS

Good Mojo:

The opening shot where the ship flies by and then the camera pans down to follow the tie fighters into the chaos. Very cool shot.

Sabers.
    Nice job.

Vader's voice casting.

Chase scenes with the tie fighters. Cool.

The shot where the tie fighters are getting hit by the boxes. Good stuff.

The part where the ship came up from underground. Sweet.

Bad Mojo:

Some of the dialogue/text in opening scroll.

When Karina was deflecting the blaster shots from the minigun. I really think it would have been a lot better if she threw in some different blocks - I mean it was just a repedative swing she was deflecting with.

Some of the acting.
    People here seem to love or hate it. I think it really has some good parts and bad parts.

Too bad about the mispronunciation of Padme and Palpatine. Oh well.

Am I the only one who thought the plot was a bit simplistic? That's not necessarily a bad thing, but people praising it as brilliant I find a bit much.

The audio while peple are talking. The hiss changing and droppoing out and coming back up was dissapointing.

As for the effects:

I'm reserving judgement until TFN puts up some good quality mov files. From what I see so far, it looks good. I like it.

All in all:

A very enjoyable fan film.

13. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    [Minor spoilers]

Well I'm amazed at the effects, truly amazed :eek: Some professional movies can't/don't compare to Knightquest. As for the rest-the Sound was also great.

The acting and storyline were awesome at some parts but subpar of what I was expecting. I loved Vader's lines thought the movie almost says what I think he would say from the movie. Danniks lines are funny but doesn't make me believe he's a Jedi Knight in training.

The Action- the space battles were truly great. The Vader saber fights-great. The Tara (that the sumgler girl isn't it) blaster fight-she has time to draw her blaster, get two shoots off before any of the troopers get one off when their blaster are pionted at her? ?[face_plain] Katiana....Katira...however you spell the female jedi's name, her opening lightsaber movements, weren't they a little repedative? Blaster bolts don't only come in certain paths I thought.

Now Joe I'm not saying the action that I could of done it any better than you, because I couldn't of. I just have different ideas of how it should be. You did an excellent job for the time you had.

AS for the end. I want to know if that girl went to Tattooine or not.

Will there be a sequal?

-JWK

14. Ryebread

Ryebread Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2001
    poorturtle (1st post and registered this month) writes...

"And I must also thank you for casting such a beautiful woman as Karina. Hopeful though, Doria is on to bigger and better things.
    Please don't make a sequel."

Why do you hate Knightquest? I can understand if you didn't enjoy it but you show anger toward it. Perhaps you are making a film and haven't received the attention that Knightquest has garnered and are a bit jealous...or VERY jealous.

What would it matter if a sequel was made? No one forced you to watch this film and no one would force you to watch a sequel, so what does it matter if a sequel is ever made. I think you need to take a course in anger management because your aggression is being misdirected. Try looking internally for what is pissing you off.

I assume you are a frequent poster but feared using your normal username. It is truly pathetic to create a new identity to hide behind instead of voicing your opinion openly and taking responsibility for what you have said.

15. -_TheDirectoR_-

-_TheDirectoR_- Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2001
    I dont get it. What's wrong with the pronunciation of Padme and Palpatine?? I don't see a problem. ?[face_plain]

16. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    All I have to say is that I hate servers that don't support resuming.

All three parts 60% done . . . oh wait, now they're 2% done. ARGH!

17. OmegaTriad

OmegaTriad Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2001
    OK, i still cant downlaod a thing in QT and had to watch it all in a tiny screen or go to the insanelt skip-n-jump WMV. Maybe I will figure out how to get it DL'ed later (hint, hint, someone please assist me...)

Anyway, It is so obvious that you (collectively, but particulary the project leader) put a ton of work into this so I feel obligated to give you a good and honest critique. I'd like to elaborate on some things if I have the time later, but for now...

First off, congratulations on a job well done. Nothing turns out perfect (<cough> loke at episode 1...) but I think this is top notch for an amatuer-made movie. The only other fan films I can remember being at this level of quality were Troops, Duality, and Dark Redemption.
    I haven't read all the post in this thread, but I did see one where you noted how many things you felt were wrong with it. Being creatively oriented and having worked with computer animation I can totally sympathize with you here, and I think in most if not all cases, this is true. It just comes with the territory. If you plan on doing more work like this, then hopefully anything you don't like you canlearn from and not repeat, but otherwise, don't worry about it beacuse there is as much good to balance out the bad.

I'll post again later with some more coherent thoughts (assuming you want them... I always do about my own work so I just kind of assume...) on the film, but here is the summarry reaction after first veiwing it. (Note that unlike the school I go to, I don't inflate grades. C is average for amateur work I've seen.)

Premise: C+ Not totally new idea but you pulled it off.

Plot: B Does a decent job of pulling off the above. A few things pleasantly surprised me since the majority of fan fims are pretty pedictable and often downright cheesy.

Script: B- While occasionaly there were some cheesy moments, cliches, and some not-so-believable jedi attitudes, there were also some good moments, some intentional (im assuming) ambiguity concerning your heroine, and although possilbly out of place in a fight to the death, my personal favorite "Darth Vader had a girlfriend," which balanced things out in the script department.

Casting: A- You got some believable (and good looking 8P) actors to fill these roles. Some films i've seen have people playing jedi who look like they are out of a grundge band, etc.

Acting: B- overall, but this really depends on the actor and different scenes. There were some scenes/lines that were delivered poorly, but others were far above the average amateur level that I've seen.

Choreography: B+ a few cliche moves but otherwise this looked pretty good, an fairly natural.

CGI: A- For amateur work this stuff was getting pretty good. Solid space scenes and only a few models that stuck out. The feighter cockpit texture and lightning needed an overhaul, but otherwise I was quite impressed. I don't think anyone is going to disagree much here.

Compositing: A Not my field so I am a it hazy here but it doesn't take a genius to say DAMN. This was some hard core work here. Be proud.

Camera work: A- also not my department but it looked pretty good.

Sound: B+ worked pretty well. there were a few lines that got rolled over by other sound, but sfx hits and music both worked pretty well.

Overall: B+ If such a thing could actually be calculated, i'd go with this. Visually this was very high up there. Although some films, like comedy, don't need to be look that great if their script is good, this action oriented film relied on that department and deliverd. Some plot script devices could have been overhauled, but even Hollywood can't seem to figure that stuff out most of the time so don;t worry too much.

Again, good job guys (especially Joe Monroe). I think it is inspiring to see that much work go into a film just for other people to see and not make money off of it. Thanks for the good work.

and go have a party or something if you haven't already...

18. Alex-Kushaan_Exile

Alex-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2000
    A version that could be resumed in DAP would be great...

19. Steve1977

Steve1977 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    WOW!! Fantastic film. Utterly superb.

The way it had a trailer before the film and then the THX trailer was so professional.
    I love this film! :)

One thing i didnt get though. When vader it appeared it just went black for about 4 seconds. Was this intentional?

20. Dack_Colton

Dack_Colton Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2001
    Just to add, I also believe that KQ has raised the bar for Fan-Film Making, Jow has produced a film to be justifiably proud of. For every minus there were two pluses in my opinion. As for people saying they didn't like the film, you can't please everybody all of the time.

I would just hope that any potential film makers aren't scared off by KQ and/or Duality because they feel they can't compare to the effects and/or the production values. I think it was some director called George who said "A special effect without a story isn't much" or something like that!

Anyway, respect is due to KnightQuest, was it worth the wait? Yes.

21. Tavril_Kayn

Tavril_Kayn Jedi Youngling

Sep 25, 2001
    To Joe Monroe and the cast and crew of Banshee films. I just finished watching Knightquest (Thank God for DSL) and had to congratulate you all on your hard work and dedication to what was obviously a labor of love. You have captured the Star Wars spirit (cheesy dialogue and all :) ) better than any fan film I've seen before. My hat's off to you for raising the bar for the rest of us. I can not wait to see what you guys turn out next.

TK

22. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Well, I downloaded all 3 parts this afternoon...

...using the T1 connection at work. Bow to my speed :p

Anyway, My work PC has no sound, so I put it on a CD to look at tonight. I did watch a bunch with no sound and it looks great.

Great Job Guys!

EDIT: Soap box deleted ;)

23. wild_wookiee

wild_wookiee Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2001
    If i were to take the time to write a good size critizism of the movie, it would look exactly like Ryan W's, with a couple of exceptions. I especially took note of the simple blocking of the laser blasts and the name mispronouncing. But "cheezy lines" people? The dialoge was perfect- in case you haven't noticed, all Star wars dialogue is cheezy! That's why we love it! All-in-all, this was the best fanfilm yet. It was so good that little mistakes that would have gone unnoticed in other films are being looked upon. Lets hear about the good parts!

24. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    For all of you dissing WMV, and saying that its skips and jumps, etc. It's simply your computer, I am having no skipping or jumping on mine, and I'm running an older version of WMP. Only thing I don't like about WMV is that you can't seem to skip too a certain point.

25. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Pronounciation tips:

Padme is pronounced "Pad may" not "Pad mee"

Palpatine is prounounced "Pal puh teen" not "Pal puh tign (as in sign)". Palpatine is also derived from the word palpable. :)

So am I right when saying that these parts were shot before Episode I came out? Because in Episode I you can hear both names pronounced numerous times.

On a side note, Sidious is derived from insidious. Maul is derived from mauled as in mauled by a tiger. Bane from bane as in "the bane of my existence" You get the picture... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.