main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KNIGHTQUEST

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    It ran perfectly on WMP 7.1, I had no problems.

As for the movie. Zoinks! Man, it ripped! There are so many good things I could say about it, but they've all been pretty much covered.

The guy doing the Vader voice was impressive, most impressive. That was the part of the film I was the most worried about, and it turns out the be one of the best aspects.

Absolutely awesome...

2. TILT 99

TILT 99 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 1999
    Hey everyone, I?m Tom Sehenuk. Please excuse my lack of words, but I?m dumbfounded by the compliments on the CGI and compositing. It has been hard to work on KnightQuest for two years and only be allowed to show a few people. These posts made the time spent worth every second.

Thank you (which seems inadequate) !!!!

As always, I am eager to answer any specific or somewhat general questions. Again, thanks for your support and patience prior to the release, it did help us all keep moving forward.

TS

3. poorturtle

poorturtle Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm responding to Rybread who wrote this to me...

-->>>>>>>
    poorturtle (1st post and registered this month) writes...

"And I must also thank you for casting such a beautiful woman as Karina. Hopeful though, Doria is on to bigger and better things.
    Please don't make a sequel."

Why do you hate Knightquest? I can understand if you didn't enjoy it but you show anger toward it. Perhaps you are making a film and haven't received the attention that Knightquest has garnered and are a bit jealous...or VERY jealous.

What would it matter if a sequel was made? No one forced you to watch this film and no one would force you to watch a sequel, so what does it matter if a sequel is ever made. I think you need to take a course in anger management because your aggression is being misdirected. Try looking internally for what is pissing you off.

I assume you are a frequent poster but feared using your normal username. It is truly pathetic to create a new identity to hide behind instead of voicing your opinion openly and taking responsibility for what you have said.

<<<

First of all let me say that I did not hate KnightQuest. And in fact I did enjoy many parts of it.

And you are correct, in that my post sounded angry, however, that was not my intention.

I am going to explain though. Like many fan films,the story line and the acting were lacking. The film took itself too seriously. It seems every fan film has to lend itself credibility by having a jedi master and a padawan learner or two. And everyone out there has to have a sith lord now, complete with face paint nad funny haircut. Now I understand, that that is the nature of the genre. These characters, however, do not need to repeatedly tell other characters (or the camera) who and what they are.

It's like watching a vampire movie that uses the word 'vampire', 'nosferatu', or even 'dracula' too much. Doesn't that make you cringe?

Even the best fan films are guilty of this. "Lord Rive, meet my apprentice, Darth Plight." - that's not really necessary now, is it?

Again let me say I don't hate Knight Quest. It'll probably stump you to learn that I think it ranks right up there at number 3, behind duality and brains and steel. I do think that it's makers are capable of doing much better. I would rather see them do something entirely new, than write a sequel to this.

Jealous, well who wouldn't be. I'd love to have the time, budget and access to equipment that they did. And yes I am going to make a fan film, and am in the early stages of preproduction.

And I sincerely hope that Doria is on to bigger and better things, as I'd love to see her on television, and not on a 320x180 webcasted fanfilm. We all have to start somewhere though.

As far "taking responsibility for what you have said" well that's an interesting comment. That sounds as if you mean voicing one's opinion is a crime. Also sounds like you look down your nose at people on this messageboard.

Well, thus concludes my second post to this message board. Perhaps I will take one of those anger management courses after all. Maybe try and find out what's pissing me off... internally.

Hi my name is Ian, and I'm an alchoholic.

4. abobbs

abobbs Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 1999
    Hi Tom. Great job on the CGI, in case it hasn't been said enough :)!

I especially loved the shots with the ships going through the clouds. Top notch!

5. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Doria Anselmo has acted in Gone in 60 Seconds and The Fast & The Furious. Her career is progressing nicely. :)

6. muphicks

muphicks Jedi Master star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    One thing that I found a bit strange though (engage nit picking mode) I thought tie fighters were either atmosphere or space and not both, in that they are not capable of doing re-entry through the atmosphere?

Does anyone else think that? Or is it me talking rubbish?

As for the comments on acting, I still think the acting was good, a lot of dialogue had to be given that in many fan films would have felt like your sat in a dull lecture, but in this I was hanging on to every word spoken.

EDIT: Never make a post on nit picking and spell it wrong :eek:

7. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    KnightQuest was pretty good for those of you who havent seen it yet I dont want to spoil you. But is there any chance for another Knight Quest?

KQ II?

8. OmegaTriad

OmegaTriad Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2001
    damn can be stupid.

i found out how to DL the QT vesions and it was something I already did and messed up by accident. not smart.

at least i can get the files now.

9. Lazarus_2004

Lazarus_2004 Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2001
    Okay this may seem rather stupid, but where is the link???? Azeem says it's been posted, but I'm not seeing it. Am I missing something? I'm looking at the Knightquest section and the only downloads are the trailers and behind the scenes stuff.

10. Jedi_Icicle

Jedi_Icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2001
    Anyone who is able to finish a film of this magnitude and complexity deserve two thumbs up! Congratultion on finishing your movie Joe! Your dedication has finally paid off! :)
    I'll be honest and I'll say that KQ is not on top of my list; Duality, Bounty Trail and Dark Skies are still my top three but I still enjoyed watching it. This movie had some pretty ambitious shots and most them were pulled off very nicely. The visual effects were great...except I really hated that fake purple sky (it brakes my heart to say this because I know how much time you guys spent on this...but I am just being honest!)
    Overall this is a great fanfilm!! Now get to work on your next project! ;)

11. JEDIGUY1

JEDIGUY1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2000
    That movie was mad ill dogz. Karina was hot!! I swear if I ever meet Darth Vader Ill kick him in the nuts and throw him off a cliff. Anyway I saw the whole thing and heres my opinion
    Acting- 10
    Plot- 10
    Special Effects- (off the chart)
    Quality- 4

Overall rating - off the chart!

12. Morfeus

Morfeus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2001
    Umm... Just a quick question, what was an Earth Alliances Omega class destroyer doing in there? :D (It can be seen for about an second in the beginning (~5:05) when the camera pans past it)
    *runs back to watch Knightquest*

13. DV-vipeness

DV-vipeness Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    NICE JOB JM ... on KQ !!!

I wish i could get my fanfilom just like yours. I waited til the site was updated to downlaod it.... Great Movie... Waiting for KQ 2 now, my GF doesnt watch star wars , but watched your and loved it... Congrats..

14. Wizdoc

Wizdoc Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 1999
    Whoa, what can I say that hasn't already been said. I'd put this film along the rest of the saga. It was well worth the download. Now, for the more detailed dissection:

*** MIGHT CONTAIN SOME SPOILERS, BEWARE! ***

The Light Side
    • Acting. None of the actors gave performances that would have to be ashamed. As stated in earlier posts, Doria Anselmo really shines as Karina. The girl definitely has potential... "We'll watch your career with great interest." Also, Tara (Michelle O'Keefe, if I recall correctly) - though I couldn't find any professional list of her work, was also good in her work.

• Vader. Though people have complained about how on some occasions he looks a bit small, I didn't really pay that much attention to such details, I was captivated by his presence. And the voice, right on the mark.

• Compositing. The CGI blended almost seamlessly into the live environments and really added to the scenes. The "enchanced" backgrounds fit the film really well and didn't really look fake at all.

• Pacing & Choreography. I was really immersed into the story as it moved forth with really good pace and gave all the necessary information without grinding to a halt. The lightsaber duels were choreographed with impressive style - and though you didn't have an acrobatic virtuoso like Ray Park in your crew - the fights were definitely at par with the Original Trilogy. Fast, furious and full of energy. And the lightsaber effects were of course flawless, as what is expected from Master Cronke.

• Directing & Cinematography. Again, top notch work. The camera moved smoothly and the shots were carefully planned. A lot of fan films forget several basic rules of filming but Knightquest pulled it off with flying colors. With well-planned close-up shots on actors and careful planning, I was drawn into film and the directorial ability really improved parts what might have otherwise felt dull or distant.

The Dark Side
    • The story. Although pretty well structured, it wasn't exactly very original or innovative. There weren't really much of twists in the plot (although I expected the male Padawan - whose name escapes me at the moment - to join the Dark Side and Tara to turn back and return to rescue Karina at the final moment in the most hansoloish style). Of course, there's only so many twists and turn you can put into a forty minute film. And finally, in my opinion, the ending suffered a bit of an anticlimax. As Karina wows revenge over the two graves and stands against the sun, I expected the film to end then and there. What followed that was a bit excessive and didn't add much to the story. I halfway hoped that in the grave scene, Tara's (again waiting for her return - after all, she made a very clear promise in the beginning) ship would rise up into the view from the chasm and the two would have left the planet on the same ship. The current version felt a bit splintered.

• Dialogue. Although acted superbly, the lines didn't have much have much of a punch (though there were some great lines, I admit) and didn't really add anything to the characters. The significant lines and build-up didn't really pay off at the end. I felt a bit cheated. Of course, Star Wars isn't exactly Shakespeare when it comes to dialogue, but it should carry the emotion the actors bring into film and not just forcibly move the plot forward. Just look at Sith Apocalypse, that had some great and thought-provoking, yet starwarsy dialogue.

• CGI. Though the compositing work was well done, the pure CGI scenes felt somewhat fake at times. Same goes with explosions, not convincing at all. Also, the animation itself seemed a bit jerky at times with ships bouncing around erratically and the "camera" wobbling quite noticeably. This contrasted quite badly with the very smooth steadicam live action shots. On the other hand, I have to admit that this was one of the first bigger fanfilms to put into production and since then, a lot has improved in the field of h

15. LenfauntSauvage

LenfauntSauvage Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2001
    Jedi_Icicle...you must be kidding. You think Dark Skies is better than KQ? I'm sure DaftMaul would be (flattered, but) first to back me in saying the films don't fit in the same category/sentence. Dark Skies is the best backyard friends and family fan film to date. Kudos to DaftMaul. But to say it's better than KnightQuest is a huge rip on Joe Monroe.

Sorry, i rant. I'm done now. Just thought that comment was bizarre.

Joe Monroe...Awesome, best fan film ever. I had hoped the acting and dialogue would have been on par with a lot of independent films I watch, so I was dissappointed there. But as far as fan films go...definitely the best (Bounty Trail is a close second, or maybe a tie depending on how you look at it).

I think its funny listening to people comment on how awesome the story and acting is. They are obviously bigger Star Wars fans than I. They sound a little blinded by the light (Starlight?).

Joe, I am glad to hear you post a level headed comment about your feelings toward the film. You have amazing potential.

peace,
    LS

16. Jedi_Icicle

Jedi_Icicle Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2001
    LenfantSauvage, I am entitled to my own opinion as far as I know. I liked Dark Skies better because I enjoyed it's twist and it's originality better... just a question of taste really! :) .... and let me tell you that it takes as much talent to pull of something like Dark Skies as it did KQ... especially when you consider that Dark Skies was a "one man job" !!!!! I wasn't trying to put down or insult Joe Monroe by any means. ( I am sure Joe knows this....)

peace!

17. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    You are all forgetting that when the Knight Quest plot was conceived, it _was_ original. ;)

Karina - The Heroine, Justice Avenger
    Dannikk - Luke Skywalker's Han Solo is to Karina's Dannikk. Everyone's annoying little brother, but with a big heart.
    Ulic - The voice of reason. Dean Kane comes to mind...
    Tara - The Idealist
    Chee-2A - The Cynic
    Cowardly Imperial Officer - obviously conscripted...
    Stormtroopers - obviously clones. ;)
    Lord Vader - The Bad Guy, Catalyst. Static character because he's borrowed.

All characters added to the plot and flow of the story as far as I'm concerned. The references to the past are vague enough to fit in with virtually anything George Lucas comes up with in Episodes 2 and 3.

I don't want to nitpick. I just want to enjoy the story. "You should too." :D

18. Paul_Heaberlin

Paul_Heaberlin Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    Well I just finished watching Knightquest and it was awesome! The best Fanfilm so far! Great srory, pretty darn good acting, Space battles, Lightsabre duels, good looking Jedi Chick with dual bladed Lightsabre-need I say more?

Seriously though, fantastic. I felt emotionally drawn to the characters and even gasped when Vader dropped her.

Just wonderfull. I hope that Ebert reviews this on his show since he has covered internet films before. Great Job Mr. Monroe! To you and everyone who worked on the film. WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!

19. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    well i just got threw watching it, i thought it was ok, especially the effects.

i really think that they should have used original music though, john williams wrote that music especially for the star wars movies, not knight quest, i'm sure he would be angry with his music in this movie, especially when its all cut up and edited. i would be angry anyway, it takes a lot of time and effort to write music, so these knight quest people should have spent the extra time and money to fully complete there movie.

so over all i'd have to say that this movie isnt even completed, not with out their own original sound track. they can leave the intro and ending credits though, since all star wars movies start and end that way, but the charactors should have their own themes. thats just what i think. anyone else agree?

20. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Hello all from ZOO (aka George Mezori).

I think we could all pick at some of the story, some of the acting, some of the effects, the sound, etc. etc. But overall it was a huge effort with excellent results.
    Wow... one stormtrooper was used. That's exactly the kind of thing that goes on in a professional set. Excellent work by Joe and crew to save the shoot... true professionals know how to improvise.

I mentioned to Joe a couple of days ago that I thought KQ suffered from the long 2-year shoot a bit. It's a shame. The quality of freely available CGI elements (SCIFI 3D) :>
    has greatly increased for one. And it seems a bit unoriginal b/c we've all seen a whole bunch of similar films since then. Another thing I thought was unfair to Joe was the media climate right now. It's really hard to break the news of war and terrorism right now. I hope they get the publicity that DUALITY got. Good for them and good for SCIFI 3D since our trailer is in there. We could all use something else to take our minds off of war.

Let me thank ROB MEYERS now since nobody has yet. He's a pro out in LA who works on just about every movie made that isn't done by ILM. It shows in the quality of the THX TRAILER that he made. Soon we'll be releasing his DEATHSTAR models.

Also... next in line is Joe. Thanks for letting us work on your THX idea. It was stressful at times but alot of fun. Thanks for letting SCIFI 3D run their Teaser as a preview coming attraction in KQ. It's quite an honor for us.

Next is the rest of the THX crew. Mike Hobson and Justin Jacobs who got the project off the ground. And to the rest of the group who unwitingly participated thru use of their models. THANKS to the 3D COMMUNITY out there who all share their models.

I could go on but I'll stay out of the critic debate. I already said more than I think I should have to Joe. It's a big project and I think I could talk about it all year long. The actors did a great job. DUALITY is a good film but they didn't attempt to do a story like this. KQ was much more difficult and full of pitfalls. Duality was simply a gag-plot surrounded by very nice visuals. I don't think you can really compare the two films.

KQ has raised the bar. I feel sorry for the guys releasing stuff in the coming months. To TOM... great CGI. Some effects are better than others... but the opening sequence is GREAT. I'm done. I'm out. CYA.

21. ProjectRestoration

ProjectRestoration Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2001
    Just a question...all of these people are talking about watching fanfilms on TV's and surround sound and such. How do I do that?

22. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    and another thing, they use the thx, the sound wasnt that great! you can tell when the mics are turned on when the people talk or whatever, you hear lots of fuzzy sounds, just something i noticed... definially not thx, i have a very good sound system hooked up with my computer, so dont say its my speakers...

23. abobbs

abobbs Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 1999
    Jedi-Finney:

Given the large number of professional big-studio films that have little or no original music (and get around it by playing popular songs) that seems like a tall order. I mean, sure it'd be nice, but it's not neccesary and I'd rather have John Williams music edited in than not-so-good original music. Besides, very few fan-films have had original scores, so I'm sure if Mr. Williams was going to get mad he would have had a fit about two years ago.

24. Jedi-Finney

Mar 22, 2001
    there is a new version of 'duality' with original music, and i thought it turned out a lot better than the first version. i'm just sayin if your gunna make a fan film, make it original, at least original music. there was also spots where the music was just too darn loud. but, i did enjoy the movie, it was very good. just giving my imput.

25. Sith005

Sith005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2001
    Jedi-Finney

I'm not the definitive source, but I hope I can help clarify. The music issue is tough. Most people don't have the means to create a quality original score. When you say...

"these knight quest people should have spent the extra time and money to fully complete there movie"

It sounds quite harsh since more than two years was spent on this movie, and a good amount of the Monroes' money was put into it. Yes, I'm biased, but I've also seen the extreme amount of work that everyone put into this film.

Also, about the THX trailer, it was put in there because KQ was orignally meant to be mixed in a THX certified sound studio. THX is a sound standard, not a form surround sound. As mentioned a while ago, there were some issues with the sound studio that may or may not have been cleared up (I honestly do not know).

I hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.