main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KNIGHTQUEST

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    i wasn't trying to put down the movie or anything, i loved it, i thought it was great. i was just saying it would be a lot more original if it had original music, even if it was synth music, made with a midi keyboard. some composers would do it for free, just to get there name out there...

2. Kalor_Voe

Kalor_Voe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2000
    Just wanted to add my voice. KQ team, you guys are real professionals. To anyone who derides the quality of this film: how many non-A grade films have you seen lately?
    This was Star Wars, and better than any B-grade movie. More importantly, it captured the spirit of the SW films.
    I hope you feel it was all worth it, guys. I dreaded that the hype would make it a big letdown, but I wasn't disappointed in the least.

I also hope the PTH guys are encouraged by this.

3. VanB

VanB Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2001
    Stand by for an original score composed and conducted by Rich Johnson, coming soon on Broken Allegiance!

4. ProjectRestoration

ProjectRestoration Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2001
    Jedi Finney -

I don't think they really cared about originality when it came to the music. I know whenever I think about my film, I can't wait to see how well it will flow with Williams' score backing it up.

That's sort of my beef on things these days...a lot of people are focusing more on originality and trying to come up with something new. I've heard many AWESOME ideas from many aspiring filmmakers, only to end up scrapping the idea simply because it wasn't original. I say embrace whatever idea you have and not worry if someone else has tried it...unless it's copyrighted and you want to make money off of it.

just my two cents....still downloading. :T

5. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    All I can say is holy smokes.

I think we have a new winner.

I bet you all are going to have the same hoopla that Duality got. It was worth the wait, and now for the 64k question, when/is a sequel coming?

That defintely felt like Star Wars.

--Joey

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm gonna post this without reading the other posts first, so none of the comments here affect my comments.

First, I'll say the cgi downloading thing was annoyoying since my downloading manager program "iGetter" cannot resume transfers with files that use that. That can be problematic with a 56k connection trying to download 120+ megs of files. However, I DID manage to get the quicktime files in their entirety, although, very oddly enough, it took me two trys to get each file and for EACH file, the first attempt would ALWAYS drop off at exactly 50%. Then the second attempt would be successful (having to start from the beginning since it could not be resumed). So I essentially downloaded 180 megs. Anyways, that aside, onto the actual film...

It delivered.

First off, bitching THX intro! (send me a DVD copy!). Next, the story- I thought it was pretty good. Perhaps the concept itself is nothing particularly new (as no doubt we've seen many fan films use concepts presented in the two years of KQ trailers) but the execution was solid. The dialogue overall was quite good, and Vader was near-perfect (in both word and sight).

I would have possibly made mention of the tracking device that's still attached to the Hound's Tooth-like ship. A line or two would have sufficed although giving Chee a non-cockpit scene would have been fun.

Next, the acting. Compared to most any fan film, the acting was excellent, both the on-set acting and voice-actors. One could unfairly compare it to professional acting (that comparison being unfair since it is an amateur production compared to a professional one) in which it could seem lacking in some places, but definately nowheres near terrible and in fact, in many scenes, is even pretty on par with professional work. Kudos!

The FX were, overall, quite excellent. Some scenes here and there felt slightly-off in comparison to the rest but otehr than that, great job.

The pacing is what I love, your attention is constantly being grabbed, the action (particularly the starship chases) were well blocked with dynamic camera angles and cuts. The music selection was equally excellent and heightened the tension and drama.

There are probably only about three, maybe four, places were I feel could be improved.

One, the blank screen with Vader breathing prior to his confrontation with Ulic was too long. I, personally, didn't feel it meshed well with the style of the rest of the film (nor the star wars films themselves). However, I can understand what you were going for with that, but even so, if it was to be included, it seemed to last too long, IMO.

Two, during the starship chases, I felt the camera sometime stayed too long on the Smuggler Chick's reaction shots. In many of those shots, after she was done talking, I really felt like we should have cut from her to the exterior shots or something else a few moments sooner than it actually did. That's probably the only time the pacing was harmed during the starship battles, again, IMO.

three, some of the lines did feel ADR'd in comparison to others. there was a noticable echo to a few lines. That can't be helped sometimes though so I can't blame you for that, and in those few instances, it's not that bad, considering possible circumstances.

four, well, that "I'm coming for you Vader! Do you hear me?! I'm coming for you!" line always kinda bugged me ever since trailer A, but it came across a little better in-context in the film, but still felt a bit rough in delivery.

I probably would have had the delivery be more subtle/softer (almost to herself, eyes closed, head tilted slightly down) of "I'm coming for you Vader...do you hear me?..." then have her lift her head and shout out at the sky- "I'M COMING FOR YOU!". I think that woulda been much cooler::)

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong[face_batting]

Great job to all on the KQ cast and crew, and congrats, Joe, you did good::)

7. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    10 hours and counting... still can't get past 20% before my 56K cuts out and then it's back to 0%... :mad:
    I know you guys at TF.N we're trying to improve stats analysis and what not, but this whole "Server Does Not Support Resuming" thing puts us poor sods on 56K out of the picture entirely... :mad:
    I guess I'll have to wait until some bootlegger has it on VHS or DVD... :mad:
    A shame really... :mad:

8. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    I know its too early too tell will there be a sequal to KQ?

9. aspjon

aspjon Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    I waited for this flick since the beginning and after watching it, I had sort of an "Episode 1" feeling about it. I downloaded every trailer, all the interviews, followed the hype, but the final product fell short of my expectations. I'm not saying it was terrible, no, but I feel that episode 1 and this fan film suffered from the same lack of storyline and general enjoyment.

In terms of effort, I can't deny that a lot of good work went in to this. The CG was outstanding as well as the general editing and transitions. It was a beautiful film to watch, and I was impressed the entire time.

But the bottom line is the quality of the sum of its parts did not equate to an enjoyable experience. I just couldn't get in to it. I'm sorry. Hate me if you must, but I have to be honest.

10. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Spoiler Alert

Anyone else get the feeling that Vader begins to doubt that Karina is alive dead even before he leaves the planet? :) And I'm pretty sure he knows for sure right after she shouts the "I'm coming for you!" line. Perhaps the reason he let her go is because he knew she had already turned to the Dark Side... :(

11. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Quote:

I guess I'll have to wait until some bootlegger has it on VHS or DVD... :mad:
    You realize this is illegal and could get the entire hobby shut down, right?

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    oh, and i wanted to add- the fiercness of the saber duels was was amazing! Vader was brutal, I loved it!

Nice touch with the hidden Earth Alliance Omega Destroyer in the background too, BTW::)

13. WG2000

WG2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2000
    Ok! I am having a hell of a time trying to downloading KQ in the wmv file. It gets to about 43 megs and it quits and tells me error. I don't know what to do.

Kev

14. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    One thing that I found a bit strange though (engage nit picking mode) I thought tie fighters were either atmosphere or space and not both, in that they are not capable of doing re-entry through the atmosphere?

Does anyone else think that? Or is it me talking rubbish?

If that were true, how would they get from the atmosphere to space?

PS: TIEs can be seen flying from high atmosphere (But in a life zone) to high orbit in ESB.

15. WG2000

WG2000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2000
    Blast it! Now I can't download it at all. Once I click on it it just reloads the webpage. AHHHHHH!

Kev

16. Waylynne

Apr 4, 2001
    MAXVEERS: You realize this is illegal and could get the entire hobby shut down, right?
    -----------------

That was my bitter, twisted and sarcastic point...

If we can't get access to the films the legit way, what other choice is there...

Now before all the children jump up and down and flame me... I've been coming to TF.N for about 4 years now... and I've been patient and waited before downloading the popular films... I'm usually a reasonable kinda guy - but with the new download system, unless you've got a direct neuro-jack to the TF.N server you're out of luck (I am, of course, exagerating - but you get the point)...

I've been downloading since about 5:00am (my time) and it's now 2:40pm - and I still got no freakin' Knight Quest 1, 2 or 3...

It's a little frustrating...

Once again... Time to up my medication...

:mad:

:(

[face_plain]

:)

:D

[face_laugh]

?[face_plain]

:eek:

:_|

17. Waylynne

Apr 4, 2001
    As for TIE-Fighters in the atmosphere...

TESB - Right near the end... Luke falls to the Millenium Falcon... and lookit thar... what's them thar zippy thangs coming up a from behind those clouds, shootin' all them thar green thangies... They have to come from somewhere... and sure as hell ain't no ISD doing no dang re-entry (no VSD either)...

:D

18. Aliensfilm

Aliensfilm Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 11, 2000
    I haven't been able to download this all day! The cgi server doesn't support resuming & everytime I loose my connection or if it stalls it has to start back at 0% all over again!!!!!!! If it would support resuming I would have all three by now but instead I don't even have 1 part
    Please go back to the old way so I can download with comfert knowing that I'll get it even if the connection shuts off without wasting my time redownloading the whole thing all over again just because it shut off with only 5% left to go & restarted with 100% left to go!!

:(

19. DV-vipeness

DV-vipeness Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    Need Help

ok heres the question

you know how you said you encoded from the wmv to quicktime, how do you do that, i am very eagerly wanting to put KQ on VCD and watch it on my dvd and surround sound, and make the upstairs neighbors go nuts, can someone help, ???

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, here we go. Brace yourselves, people.

As was commented in another thread on the board, I like to consider myself one of the "oldbies", having been here for a couple of years like so many others, and yet upon the time of my arrival, Knightquest had already become the stuff of legends.

As such, I had almost become accustomed to the idea that it wasn't a real project, but a myth, a beautiful dream to which we would all aspire (I recall someone had similar feelings about Duality once and in posting such sparked one of the biggest meltdowns that film ever saw--which is one heck of a thing to be said).

Now that it's actually been released, after years of waiting, it's an absolutely surreal feeling. It's like the end of an era, seriously.

It's a marvelous credit to Joe that, even given everywhere that we've gone in the two years since the inception of KQ, it is still a film that tops the previous releases--perhaps not as much as it would have pre-Duality, but still a step up, and in a fan film that was conceived in the early days of fan filmmaking.

This could have gone two ways: sucked and been practically an insult to the legend, or become and instant classic. It achieved the latter--was, in fact, a classic before it was even released.

Is it perfect? No, not in my opinion at least. All the great parts have been commented upon, so I'm going to begin with the negatives. I'm going to nit where no one else did--not because I disliked the film by any estimation. Good God no. This is something I plan to strive for (and in that we'll be in touch, Joe). But in this film I see the small things that, if fixed in their own way in the next Banshee production, would take it from "awesome" to "godly."

I'm a total whore for lightsabers, so I know what they should look like and I pay very close attention to the way fights go. The fight choreography, as has been said elsewhere, could use some work if to be used again in subsequent productions. The fights looked pretty good a lot of the time--on many occasions the Vader mannerisms were spot-on--but a few times there were some awkward moments. Vader going nuts over Padme didn't sit too well, his fighting style got way more mobile than a more-machine-than-man could accomplish.

The distance scene, behind the two younger Jedi, was totally lightsaber pattycake, with the strikes accomplishing nothing whatever.

Dannick's rushing in to take on Vader was very nicely done, good fighting. The two on Vader was very well done, though there were a few instances where I found myself screaming at the Jedi (especially Danny) "TAKE HIM YOU FOOL! HE'S TOTALLY OPEN!"

Karina and the double...whoo. She could certainly have used more training with that weapon. I found it slightly distracting that after "I'm going to kill you!" the entire subsequent shot is of her DEFENDING herself awkwardly, making few attempts at strikes and mostly just switching the saber end over end.

The sound effects were sometimes distracting in that they repeated a lot, especially the saber effects. One sound recurred many many times (high pitch then an echo sound of a lower pitch, a ricochet).

The compositing was seamless in that there was absolutely no glow or edge, and all the fine detail was there. The lighting of the composited elements sometimes did not match, most noticeably in the bridge of the smuggler ship. But the integration otherwise? Flawless.

The music. I have no problems with re-using Williams, but the transitions were sometimes rather rough. However, besides that (and that only on occasion), the cues were immensely effective and well chosen.

Ooh, the revolving cameras...Steadicamming like mad...my ONLY gripe with the directing. Besides that it was wonderful.

The acting was sketchy. It didn't feel to me as though the characters were really relating to--or even truly TALKING to--each other most of the time.

Ben Fletcher; THE voice of Vader in the fan film world. Even so, there are a few things that could be worked on. Frequently (such as when speaking to the off

21. Emperor187

Emperor187 Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2001
    An EA Omega destroyer in the opening?! That is awesome! Now if only i could dl it and watch it!:)

And a big boo to TFN for cgi downloadin'...really alienates a lot of us slow pokes.

Thank the Maker TFN is not the ONLY source of Knightquest...now I am finally dl' WITH a resume function!

22. MrYoda

MrYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2000
    Hey Joe,
    Job well done! Vader was very convincing as was the overall acting. I felt like I was watching a professional work. You have created one heck of a motivating masterpiece. I look forward to downloading a high res version. Is there a sequel in the works?

23. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Whats an "EA Omega" Star Destroyer?

-tm

24. Prelude_Dread

Prelude_Dread Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    "I also hope the PTH guys are encouraged by this."

Uhm... we are...

-PTH guys

25. Waylynne

Apr 4, 2001
    Earth Alliance Omega Class Destroyer - from Babylon 5... :D

As for OTHER sources for KQ... come one... spill... who's got it on a server with resume?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.