main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Knights of the New Republic~ Sequel to I, Exile Updated 15/2/12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by MiralukaJedi, Nov 26, 2010.

1. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Title: Knights of the New Republic
    Genre: Drama (and a little bit of everything else)
    Summary: The Empire is dying and the New Republic, with their Jedi defenders are rising. Everyone thought peace would be easy but the Jedi, divided between Purge survivors and youth, find out that it is anything but as they seek to find their place in the new reality.

Author's Note: To fully understand what is happening here, you definitely need to read I, Exile and The Good that Men Do. But especially, I,Exile. Requests for PMs are welcome as a list will be kept for this fic.

Disclaimer: I own nothing here. Only the OCs that I play with.

PM list (as of 26 November 2010)
    ZebulaNebula
    Jedi_Savoy
    Senjuto
    Master_Fay_Fan

[i]Prologue

Brentaal IV, 4.5 ABY[/i]

There seemed to be few places left for him to run. And for reasons that Jaalib Brandl could not completely understand, he felt drawn to this place-since his flight from Trualis and the execution of his father by his former rival in the Inquisitorius. The commercial world on the fringes of the Core was calling to him and if the young Brandl was not mistaken, the Force was leading him there for a purpose. Though for what purpose, he was quite unsure.

Musing about why he had been compelled to come closer to the Core, thus putting himself in the heart of a rapidly disintegrating Galactic Empire, and even closer to the home base of the people after him, made him think about what had thrust him into those circumstances in the first place. It always left him more than a little confused and angry when he thought about those reasons, which were quite numerous. He knew that it truly did him little good as his rational self always concluded afterward that while he would rather be on stage anywhere right now giving the performance of a lifetime, he was stuck. There was no escape. Either the Inquisitors would find him first and kill him or break him, or he would be able to stay away from their grasp for another day.

[i]Or I could find safe haven amongst the Jedi.[/i] That thought had been going through his mind a little more lately than not but he wasn?t exactly sure if this was a good idea or not.

Jaalib knew that a major reason that the Inquisitorius was now after him was the fact that the Jedi had returned in rather organised numbers to the galaxy. They had sided with the Rebel Alliance, now calling itself the New Republic, and had helped to defeat the Empire in several key battles. The Inquisitors and Emperor?s Dark Jedi, even before Imperial leadership had acknowledged the Jedi?s return, had started to seek out any Force-sensitive at all and recruit them to the Imperial cause- by any means necessary. Jaalib Brandl had been one of those unfortunate souls.

However, for the few years between the disasters of Yavin and Endor, Jaalib had been luckier than most of those who had captured the attentions of the Inquisitor?s recruitment drive. His father, Adalric Cessius Brandl, a former Inquisitor who was one of the few to ever retire from the position without a death sentence being placed on his head, had seen to that. His father refused in no uncertain terms to see his beloved son go down the dark path that he had once trodden himself. And any who tried to coerce his son on that path hadn?t lived long enough to report back to the Emperor of Jaalib?s Force-sensitivity. But then, at Endor, a young Jedi Knight named Luke Skywalker had changed everything when he had defeated the Emperor and Vader.

While Jaalib was still somewhat fuzzy on the full details of what might have happened there, he knew one result for certain. It had made the Inquisitors nervous and determined to wipe out the Jedi disease that had overthrown their beloved Master. And in their newfound determination, they had decided that the wish of one of their notorious former colleagues wasn?t going to stand in the way of that goal.
    So, just a few weeks after Endor, Tremayne,

2. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Nice opening ... Jaalib seems like a good kid ... loved how you summed up the events of the past few months in his internal musings. Yeah, he's spot on about the Empire's reaction to having a unified group of Jedi hanging around. Hope he does become a Jedi ... he seems like he'd be a pretty good one.

I dunno if you want me to confirm or not(some authors do, some don't), but please keep me on the list.

3. Senjuto

Senjuto Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2009
    Please update soon. I can't wait for the next chapter. Up!

4. Senjuto

Senjuto Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2009
    When are you going to update, I am waiting anxiously for the next chapter. Up!

5. Master_Fay_Fan

Master_Fay_Fan Jedi Knight

Jun 12, 2010
    Good work! Please keep it up!

6. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks. I introduced this character on a whim...I found the character's backstory interesting and since I've already introduced Fable Astin, it's appropriate I introduce him as well. He might very well...but he has to encounter them first. I just have to work out how that happens and how another blast from the past (ie. my OC Ahsana Horn's past to be precise) works out. And no need to confirm, as long as you keep opening your PMs consider yourself on the list. I only need confirmation after a long period of time between updates and/or lots of people not opening PMs.

7. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks and incoming! Also, any suggestions on characters you want to see or events is greatly appreciated.

8. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks and will do. If there's anything you think can make it even better, please let me know!

Anyways, PM list as it now stands:

ZebulaNebula
    Senjuto
    Jedi_Savoy
    Master_Fay_Fan

[i]Brentaal IV, Three days later [/i]

If you had asked Fable Astin where she saw herself within the next five years just after she joined the Jedi Order after Yavin, she would have told you that she saw herself in pretty much the same place where she had been when she first joined with the Horn family and a few other Force-sensitives who had been drawn into the Rebellion. She would still be an Army Captain who happened to be a lone Jedi. Oh how her younger self would be wide-eyed with disbelief at where she currently was now.

And here she was, a mere six months after Endor, in a position she never thought she would be in. Leading a mission of vital importance to the inevitable push to Coruscant. In command of some twenty of her fellow Jedi- making her responsible for those ranging from their late teens to those older than she was. It all seemed a little much sometimes.

The Council, in a bid to get more qualified Knights, had been wrangling as many of the more experienced Knights as they could into taking Padawans of their own. It seemed to be a major project of Master Halcyon?s of late, the pressing of Knights to take Padawans. Fable had been one of six senior Knights to answer the call, resigning her commission to do so. The others seemed less inclined to do so, at least for now.

They had paired her with two teenage girls, Alexandra Winger and Tash Arranda, both of whom required drastically different teaching styles. Alex was a fighter, something Fable herself could appreciate and respect. Teaching her what she knew about being a Jedi had proven relatively easy for Fable and the girl had even taught her things about infiltration and stealth, the result of her years as a member of the underground in the Outer Rim. With Tash Arranda, the opposite was true.

The girl was adventurous and headstrong to be sure, but she also was more of a dreamer than the neophyte teacher would have liked. Fable was a focused and driven young woman; she often found it difficult to deal with those who lived most of their time off in dream land. It was hard enough for her dealing with Ahsana Horn but her being a technical genius probably explained that away just as easily. Tash Arranda, however, was harder for Fable to deal with and she couldn?t help but wonder if the Council hadn?t made a mistake in pairing the young Alderaanian with her. Quite frankly, Fable believed she needed someone else.

She would have been better suited to train with someone with a greater connection to the Living Force, a healer or scientist perhaps. Instead they had paired her with a seasoned warrior and infiltrator. But the decision could have been a worse one, Fable supposed.
    They could have paired her with a loner Jedi such as Kyle Katarn, who now had the privilege of training of training the younger Arranda, Zak. Though that arrangement seemed to be working out better- the two of them had arrived at an understanding of sorts recently.

Fable simply hoped that would happen for her soon. Otherwise, this whole mission might end up as a bit of a wash.

?It?s done. All primed and set, ready to blow when we get the signal.? A familiar voice said, shaking Fable out of her reverie and reminding her of where she was and what she was doing.

That she was in charge of a mission of sabotage to help with the upcoming Battle of Brentaal. That she was here with her two Padawans, Katarn and his Padawan, as well as Ahsana Horn and a white haired Intel operative who had introduced herself only as Targeter. She had no idea whom the woman was though ?Sana seemed to know her well enough. The two of them seemed to be friends or at least familiar acquaintances, not that it mattered much at the moment.

?In all the right places?? She had to be sure. This mission was too vital for any screw-ups to

9. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    Woohoo, nice to see some familiar faces. Not surprised that the council's pushing padawans on the knights. Brentaal ... now they're in for a real fight ... not surprised Fable's jittery and having bad vibes. Loved her singling out Kyle ... he's a trouble magnet, and that's for sure ... any bets on some Kyle/Fable going on?

10. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Thanks. Lots more familiar faces to come. And yes, the Council's pushing that...bet you can guess what Fey'lya's response would be to that. Definitely chose Brentaal for several reasons, one of which is that. Yep, Kyle is definitely trouble for sure but so amusing as he gets into it. As to that, mmm...I hadn't thought of that. Shall I give it a try?

11. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Right. Found the link for The Good That Men Do at last...it's attached to the prologue now. Also, anyone want an update or have any ideas...I'm really stuck on finalising the outcome of the battle in AU :_|

12. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Loving the sequel. Please include me on any PM list.

13. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    You got it. And hopefully, I'll be posting soon...just have to finish up the first Jedi/Imperial confrontation on Brentaal.

14. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Right, at long last I'm happy with what I've got and it's an epic post of the first half of what I'm planning for the Battle of Brentaal IV. I hope that the second half is just as good. Any reader input on anything you want to see is greatly appreciated.

PM list (as of 7 September 2011)
    ZebulaNebula
    Jedi_Savoy
    Senjuto
    Master_Fay_Fan
    padawan3

[i]Imperial Army Barracks, Brentaal IV, that same day[/i]

It was difficult to believe for this Imperial Colonel that those in power in the increasingly divided Empire still denied that the Jedi even existed. Those that claimed to be Jedi since Yavin, at least in the propaganda that the man knew so well, were portrayed as liars and magicians. In other words, the same way that he remembered them as being portrayed in the propaganda that was released when he was a child, urging all Imperial subjects to turn in Jedi survivors of Order Sixty-Six.

Simply put, the man knew better than to believe that. He knew they existed and he knew that their abilities were far from simple magic tricks. After Bellassa, where that seemingly familiar Jedi girl had pushed him and his troops down the stairs without even touching them, he knew better. No simple magician could have done that to him and his troops.

And then there was the little issue of the Inquisitorius being more active since that time. The Emperor?s Dark servants, regardless of how much he had come to believe in the founding ideals of the New Order, made his blood run cold and their inherent cruelties made him shudder. They were always there now, seeking out those enemies that they denied were even there and ?recruiting? others to help them in their task. And they also had appointed themselves to ?supervise? the protection of key systems from invasion by the Rebellion in its push toward the Core and Coruscant.

And what was worse was that this little stand at Brentaal was for nothing. The Dark warriors were merely here to make sure that he and his men covered the evacuation of loyal Imperial subjects from the world. The Empire, which stood for order and discipline, was falling apart. It was starting to turn in on itself and he, as well as his men, were apt to be its latest victims.

But he had no intention of dying here, unless duty required it of him. He fully intended to win his battle rather than see his men die from the schemes of underhanded political leaders or in the impending battle with the Rebels, now calling themselves the New Republic. He would achieve his goals, or die trying.

He had managed to escape a life of mediocrity on Tatooine. He had managed to make a life for himself as an infantry commander, in spite of still thinking of what might have been had he made the fighter corps as a pilot- a successful life that he was proud of. All of this, he, the grandson of a slave, had managed to achieve all on his own.

He was Colonel Janek Sunber. And he would do the Empire proud- or die trying.

[hr]

At the same time as Colonel Sunber was readying his troops for the ground evacuation of Brentaal, another Imperial Colonel was having thoughts of a different sort as he readied himself for his part at Brentaal. He would be fighting in space and facing even greater doubts in the back of his mind than Colonel Sunber.

He knew why they were here- the real reason why they were here- and he didn?t appreciate the strategy of he and his men being sent to die for the political gain of Ysanne Isard. If they were here merely to defend an evacuation of loyal Imperial citizens with the aid of equally capable commanders, then he would have no qualms about supporting the strategy with his life and those of his men. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

There was Ysanne Isard and her attempts to proposition him into an affair. An affair that she knew he would never agree to. Everyone in the upper echelons of the Imperial hierarchy, of which Soontir Fel had earned a place as a right, knew that he would never do anything to betray his wife, regardless of the cost. She had no doubt hoped to somehow manipulate the situation here to n

15. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Great story, too bad I wasn't on the boards early enough to see the original. Oh well, I read it first, and I have to say you are an amazing writer. I'm looking forward to the next chapter, and can you add me to the PM list?

16. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    Nice update, interesting to see Tank and Ahsana squaring off, though I'm not really surprised he lost control. Poor Tash, I know she's probably gonna be OK, but that's really gotta hurt her pride. Ahsoka slipping in for sabotage? Fun fun. Luke flying with Mara? Sweet. Is he gonna be her wing? Are we gonna see any L/M? Is Fel gonna switch sides, or is he gonna be a "hero"? And Tremayne vs Kyle? Bring it!

Sorry about replying late, though. Life's been hectic ...

17. Master_Fay_Fan

Jun 12, 2010
    It's back! Sry for the late reply. Great chapter Miraluka! Keep up the good work! :D

Master Fay Fan

18. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Yay, an update. I hope see another soon.

19. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Update is nearly done- finalising the duel and hopefully it will be ready by the weekend.

20. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Definitely. And if you want to check out anything else of my body of work, I've just added an entry on the Prolific Fanfic Writers thread over on the Fanfiction Resourse Boards. Thanks and hope you enjoy what's next.

21. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Definitely and now that he's been captured, things could get more complicated. Yes but at least she's alive and not captured- for Tash, that would be a worse thing. Ahsoka is there for sabotage and pick up- that's her role here and I'm playing with a few ideas of how to give her a niche in the story beyond that. Yes and he will be serving as her wing in the space battle but it's a bit early for L/M- I've always seen that as something that built up slowly but effectively and I'd like to try to replicate that if I can. As for Fel, like Tank, I've been planning on having him captured as he was in canon but I'm trying to sort out just what to do after that. As for Tremayne vs Kyle, you get to see that next...

22. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    It is and I intend to finish it! So fear not, it will go on. Thanks for reading.

23. MiralukaJedi

May 15, 2008
    Yes and here it is:

PM list (as of 6 December 2011)
    ZebulaNebula
    Jedi_Savoy
    Senjuto
    Master_Fay_Fan
    padawan3
    Skywalker_T-65

[i]Alley behind the Starlight Cantina, Central District of Oradin

Concurrent to the events at Defence Monitoring Station Delta-Sigma Six[/i]

Zak Arranda was waiting for his Master to return from a scouting assignment when he heard it. A sound the likes of which he had seldom heard before having to go on the run from the Empire with his sister and Uncle Hoole. And something even uncommon since he?d been recruited for training six months ago- it was the sound of a desperate man not much older than himself running for his life at breakneck speed, before running straight into him.

The runner collided into him with a sharp thud and the force of the impact sent him into a scattered array of dingy waste disposal bins. Zak barely had managed to right himself when things got even stranger and definitely more dangerous. The youngest Arranda didn?t have any time at all to stop the runner to demand what was going on or ask for an apology as his haste became apparent with the appearance of a viciously scarred cyborg with the bulkiest implants available. And even worse, the menace was carrying a red bladed lightsaber.

[i]That has to be an Inquisitor. And this is now going to be a very, very bad day.[/i] Zak thought as he turned to join the runner in getting out of the area.

Zak knew that there was no way he could handle taking on an Inquisitor all on his own. He was, after all, only a beginner in the ways of the Force and was pretty sure that the Inquisitor was way more advanced than he was. And he had no idea what the skills or lack thereof was of the runner who had just ploughed into him before he continued running.

As he ran, he managed to send some waste disposal bins and other debris flying back into the Inquisitor to hinder his progress. That was Zak?s goal: he could do little else of real use but use telekinesis to throw anything he could at the darksider. He?d try to reach safety by reaching either his Master or the others- one of the most important lessons that he had learnt so far was that there was often safety found in numbers. Mind you, those same important lessons also taught him to find out as much about a potential ally- the mysterious runner- as he could.

But there wasn?t really anything that he could do on that front given that he and the runner were essentially running for their lives. He managed to even hit his jury-rigged wrist communicator made especially for the mission- hoping to get in touch with Master Katarn or anyone else on the team. Other than that, his only other choice was to run faster.

But that solution couldn?t last forever and indeed, it didn?t.

They soon were trapped. The Inquisitor had pursued them down an alley, herding the two of them until there was no way to escape. The dead end ensured that.

?Well, well, well. This appears to be the end of the line Mr. Brandl. I will give you this one last chance to join us willingly in our noble work. You have such talent and ability; it would be a shame if it were...wasted for no good reason.? The monstrous looking man rasped, pulling out a lightsaber from his voluminous black robes as he spoke.

The dark-haired man looked up at his pursuer, never looking at Zak once. He looked like he was completely spent, as if all his remaining energy had been sapped long ago. But the runner also looked strangely defiant and determined not to bend to the Inquisitor?s will.

[i]Well at least I?m not the centre of attention yet.[/i] Zak thought to himself blithely, knowing that sooner or later he would not be ignored by the Inquisitor any more.

?No, I will not. You killed my father and I?ve spent the past six months doing everything in my power to stay away from you. I take it that didn?t give you a clue?? the runner defiantly but tiredly stated.

The Inquisitor seemed to have expected that. In fact, he smirked in smug satisfaction and looked even more pl

24. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    Whoa, nice showdown here. Glad that Jaalib found the Jedi so soon ... I wasn't quite expecting him to link up yet, but glad he did. Whoa, Kyle sure kicked Tremayne's rear! For half a second, I thought he was gonna "Black Knight" him, but no, zorching him with his own lightning works even better. Interesting that Kyle uses electric judgement ... it fits him, just as Vaapad would - if he had half a chance to learn it. Can't wait for the conclusion of the battle.

25. Master_Fay_Fan

Jun 12, 2010
    Nice chapter MiralukaJedi.

Keep up the great work!

Oh, and can we get something with Pellaeon in it? It would be an interesting viewpoint I think.

Master Fay Fan