Knights of the Old Republic #43: The Reaping, Part 1 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xicer, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    He just said the longest fleet battle was coming up...not necessarily the largest in scope. Besides, we can have space battle involving..third party groups. Pirates vs slavers, the Crucible vs Zayne's "resources" etc...
  2. JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant

VIP
    star 3
    I think the phrase was "longest extended space action sequence," but regardless, it should be fun for the gamers to model. And if anyone guesses what battle I took inspiration from in this story, I'll fold my cards and just deal for the rest of the hands...

Sariyah is a female, BTW. Easier to make these kinds of determinations about people who were never video game characters... ;)
  3. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Seeing how the covers of this arc have people in space suits, I think we can rule a "fleet battle" out and expect "extended space action" by people in, well, space suits. I won't guess about the battle yet, though, too little information for me. I only hope miners and asteroids don't equal Armageddon. [face_worried] ;)

Having said that, a one-shot in Michael Bay's style might be, well, interesting in an experimental kind of way - there's this youtube video of a guy eating a bowl of cereals Michael-Bay-style, and it's essentially two minutes of film school... [face_thinking]

Fear the uprising of the fan section that imagined Sariyah as a male! :p
  4. Zorrixor Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't know why... I just figured she was female straight away. I'd say "the face looks female" but maybe it's just because the name sounded female that I ended up not even thinking of seeing the face as male?

Though, I think the face also has that "old wrinkly crone" look about it. Very, how shall I put it... "witchy", as opposed to a male character like Palpatine who comes across more as "old" than "crone".

And no, I have no real idea what I'm jabbering on about either. I just figured she was female straight away for some reason. :p
  5. Manisphere Jedi Master

star 5
    Confirmed by Midtown Comics for shipping July, 15th.[face_peace]
  6. Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    SWEET!!! :D

Shadojoker
  7. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 6
  8. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 6
    So Zayne's hair is reddish brown on the cover and he looks vaguely like a young Johnny Depp (in contrast to the blackish hair and Galen Marek look he had before on the same cover)

So we start off with the preview where two slaves die while surveying a comet full of Thorilide crystals. A female Koorivar, Sariyah Budan, is in charge of the mining operation and works for the company Sungrazer Cooperative. Anyway, Sariyah orders the slave miners to extract the crystals before the comet breaks apart, over the objections of Nazzar miner, Qohn.

Suddenly we get a Flash Gordon entrance by Zayne and Jarae pretending to be working for the Crucible (Zayne's got the tats and everything). The Crucible is supplying the slave miners (who are also apparently being paid), but Zayne tells Sariyah that the price of the slaves has gone up and that the Cooperative needed to pay up ASAP. However since the Cooperative won't have the creds until they mine and sell the crystal, the Crucible has dispatched the duo and a mining ship (awesome use for the Hot Prospect) to claim a portion of the crystals for themselves. And if Sariyah doesn't like it, the Crucible can always stop selling them slaves.

Back on the Hot Prospect, Gryph congratulates Zayne by holomessage for coming up with the idea to rip off the Sungrazer, although Zayne says that Jarael "stumbled" across the idea. (Rohlan's mask looks eerily like Demagol's in one panel). We see that Zayne doesn't want to tell Gryph the truth because Jarael is afraid that the Snivvian would abandon them on the ship. Jarael mentions that she's been on the ship before while delivering slaves, and that it was on this ship where she realized that the losers of the slave duels were not freed but shipped off to "die for a profit."

Zayne runs into Qohn on the slave ship who gives him a tour of the lower levels where 80 slaves reside and are preparing to go out to the Thorilide comet. (Qohn is still under the impression that Zayne and Jarael work for the Crucible). In the meantime, Sariyah contacts the Crucible who tell her that the duo are impostors. Jarael and Zayne decide to escape to the only place that's safe; the comet.

Sariyah sends a team to kill the two but they are fought off and defeated (Jarael gets one but Zayne defends the two so it looks like he still hasn't killed anyone). Qohn asks what they're doing there, but Zayne severs his sensor pack (the Collective used these packs to deliver shocks to any slave who wasn't working hard or was trying to escape). He calls Gryph and tells him a large prize is waiting on the other side of the comet. The Hot Prospect swoops in only to see Zayne LEVITATING the 80 miners towards the ship and away from the disintegrating comet. (Bong Dazo did an awesome job with this particular scene)

Just as all seems clear, Qohn is blindsided by a large tentacle droid (the one on the next cover). They are sky reaper drones, according to Jarael and she tells Zayne that the Crucible uses them which means.... they're here! A massive ship comes near the Hot Prospect and orders its surrender...

I liked the issue, even if it was a setup. I usually don't like Bong's stuff but he did a great job with this issue particularly with Zayne levitating the miners.
  9. Wordslinger Jedi Knight

star 1
    I liked the issue, JJM always seems to come through though. Bong did a nice job on the art as well, I really liked his new Gryph.

Anyone else notice how Jarael force pushed Zayne out of harms way? Some one's been practicing. Also another mention of Zaynes mysterious sources, they were how Zayne and Jarael found out that the miners still operated in the Koornacht Cluster, yet still no clue as to who they are.
  10. Drewton Jedi Master

star 4
    Only two posts on the day of release? :(

This is one of the few times I'm resisting the urge to read the spoilers. I'll be getting this tomorrow.
  11. JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant

VIP
    star 3
    Well, I don't know about you, but I was outside. The first sort-of-like-somewhat-resembling summer day this part of Wisconsin's had all year... :D
  12. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    Everybody's still recovering from #42? Anyway, another great issue, and the art's not bad either.

I like Jarael's fake Crucible outfit, nice imitation of Chantique's outfit. Wonder if that's the official female Crucible member outfit. She and Zayne are also getting along pretty well, and Jarael has a bit of Force danger sense now, and Zayne even references the Rogue Moon, except the Rogue Moon wasn't melting under them. Flying off with eighty slaves is going to be a challenge though, although at least its not over a hundred.

And while Bong's characters aren't my favorite style, his ships are always very good, from the mining ship (that vaguely reminded me of a World Devastator, with that giant port, which makes sense as its a mining ship) to the Crucible ship at the end. Don't think that matches any known ship class, does it? Whatever it is, it looks huge, and I like its design too. Taking on a warship might be a bit out of Zayne's league, but hopefully he'll figure something out, although rescuing eighty slaves in the process is going to be a challenge. I just hope this doesn't end up like Serocco.

So, Zayne and Jarael's start trying to take down the Crucible, although sadly we don't find out anything more about Zayne's sources, but just another great KotOR issue. Although I do wonder how long Gryph will put up with these good will missions. Although that probably also depends on how much money they end up making in the process. Just hope they don't have to dump all the stuff they've collected so far to make room for escaping slaves. Nice to see the Hot Prospect put to its intended purpose though.
  13. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Actual comments later, but Dagggum! Zayne has been hiding the gun show. :eek: [face_laugh]

Be sure to check out the letter column/pics at the back. It's our very own TapeTrooper. :D

14. Drewton Jedi Master

star 4
    Just got it, way better than my expectations. Bong Dazo's art has gotten a lot better, especially with his version of Gryph.
  15. MistrX Jedi Master

star 4
    First of all, I'm pretty sure I got held up by page 5 for a few moments. Yeah...

I wasn't sure if Jarael had gained the Most Common Superpower or what, then I looked back at #19, so nothing new. Moving on.

Dang, didn't know Zayne was that ripped. Works for the slaver look, though.

I really enjoyed this one, probably the most since Faithful Execution. Another look at the fringes of the GFFA of millennia before. I like the Zayne/Jarael team in this one, making things feel a little tighter in this one, I guess. Zayne, of course, getting to do what a Jedi is meant to do shows that even if he may not have the skills to be a full Knight (though he may well be), he continues to have the moral fortitude. Not to mention the insane plans and dumb luck, though as it is Part 1, we get that inevitable moment where the luck seems to change.

And another demonstration of Jarael's use of the Force to save both of their lives.

For an artist whose work I didn't particularly like when he first starting drawing for KOTOR, I really think he's grown on me. I think the work Bong Dazo's done here is some of his best yet, especially in the likenesses of the main characters. It may not have the sheer diversity we got in Prophet Motive, but I still found myself really liking it.

And great cover by Benjamin Carré, too.
  16. FireJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Zayne looked pretty angry when he was levitating everyone. That said, he's the last person I'd expect to see go dark. Then I thought he might be overpowered... but he did say that he'd lifted them one-by-one. I suppose all he really needed to do was give them a push.

I liked it. :)
  17. Hendo255 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I liked it. The issue followed along the lines of what I expected would happen but next issue! Now that's gonna be sweet! Seeing how they try to save the day and get out of this mess :D

Glad to see Jarael used the force again. Oh and what's with that Crucbile guy's logic. We have you out gunned and surrounded so under INTERSTELLAR LAW we're taking you and your ship? lol
  18. HedecGa Jedi Master

star 4
    Now that was a great issue! That's the most fun I've had reading a KOTOR ish since the Covenant arc! Very nice, indeed. And I really like Zayne with those tats.
  19. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    If I haven't missed anything, nobody has commented yet on the '[the crucible's] "problems" are with their high-end customers" line, which seems to be essential foreshadowing for the series' future. There's always a bigger fish...

Criminals are most successful when they're not actually breaking laws. When this big, bad, mean starship overpowers the Hot Prospect, it essentially stops thieves. Because from the official (well, pretty much any) looks of it, it's a con trick to steal material and slave workers. While these slaves may or may not be illegal (dialogue indicates that they wouldn't bring that aspect to courts), the material theft very much is a criminal action. The evil captain doesn't even have to twirl his mustachios, because the law is on his side. Besides, he looks quite reasonable in that one panel; he might still end up as a honset person that gets converted by Zayne's extraordinary Lightsidedness. I doubt it, though, for he got a really big ship by the bad guys - he should know what organisation he works in.
  20. Zorrixor Force Ghost

star 6
    Got around to reading this today... it was one of the better issues recently.

I liked the whole mining setup. It was an interesting way to incorporate slaves without it just being a generic slave labour exercise. I don't know whether I like Koorivar or not... I like their faces, but those tiny pigs' tail horns on their heads look kind of silly. :p

Interesting references to the Crucible's top clients. Coupled with the talk of how the slaves that perform as warriors go to the high level buyers, whereas the losers in the pit fights get kicked out to the various other taskmasters... I'm guessing it's referring to the Mandalorians.

It'd be rather humorous if they break the Crucible just as Malak shows up with a giant fleet to do the same thing; cue scene about "What's the clown doing here?" "This clown's pointless adventures have just done your job for you".
  21. JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant

VIP
    star 3
    Some thoughts on the issue are on my site now.

I also now have a Twitter account for updates: http://www.twitter.com/jjmfaraway . San Diego week, you never know when there'll be news...
  22. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    The Issue Trivia says <<The "high-end customer" reference takes us back to "Dueling Ambitions.">>

So, this could mean that the "high-end-customers" are simply supposed to be the Dueling organisation (and the "problems" would be that Zayne sabotaged the demand for slaves to send to the duel pits)... No bigger fish? [face_thinking]
  23. Nobody145 Jedi Master

star 5
    Ooh, nice notes. Nice to see Zayne's actions from the previous arc already having an effect and to see those repercussions in newer issues. And the dueling arenas seemed like where plenty of the slaves went. I think Jarael mentioned in the issues that she thought those slaves who couldn't fight (and thus, couldn't make it to the arena) were freed, but instead she found out those slaves were sold as cheap, disposable labors for jobs like these.

Although I'm more interested in where we supposedly saw the Gladiator before. I would think I would remember that kind of distinctive design, but then again, my memory is far from perfect. Its big, yellow, and isn't a rip-off of a famous design unlike certain other ships *cough*Centurion*cough*, though it does seem to be sorta triangular-shaped, hm... I already asked in the Fleet Junkie thread, but though might as well comment in this thread as well. Now to go hunting through old issues.
  24. Zorrixor Force Ghost

star 6
    I took it to mean something more sinister, personally. The swoop duelling ones just struck me as the rejects who failed the Crucible's initial warrior selection process.
  25. Ulicus Lit'ari [Literature Manager]

Manager
    star 6
    This issue was awesome. Bong's art has really come into its own -- I have not a single complaint and a lot of praise.

The only thing that bugs me is that, damn, were it not for the fact that we know she's a woman, Zayne would have been so well poised to become the Jedi Exile. It's not that I'm that desperate to tie him into the games, it's just that - at this point - it would seem more fitting for it to be Zayne who rebuilt the Jedi Order because he's basically the best Jedi Knight in the entire continuity. Not the most powerful, by any stretch, but simply the best.

I don't really care about Ms Sareth Dorn or whatever she'll end up being called.

For some reason, reading this issue, I had a vision of Zayne and Jarael ending up as a married couple who still did this sort of thing well into their old age. :p Shel's nice, and all, but at this point... yeah, I'm firmly throwing my weight into the Zayne/Jarael shipper camp. *Ulicus lands in the camp with a thud*

The possibility of Master Fay being born from their union intrigues me, too, unlikely as it may be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.